Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved New to Ubuntu 11.04

Well new to anything linux really. And I'm trying/hope to set up a teamspeak 3 server but have no idea what I'm doing. I tried reading the sticky, but didn't understand a word of it. Could someone possibly give me command line steps? That would be amazing.

Hello

Connected as root:
    Code:
    adduser ts3server
    passwd <choose a password>

su ts3server
    wget http://teamspeak.gameserver.gamed.de/ts3/releases/3.0.0/teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>-3.0.0.tar.gz
    tar xvfz teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>-3.0.0.tar.gz
    cd teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>

./ts3server_startscript.sh start
    where <arch> is "x86" or "amd64"

After that when you want stop start or retsart your Teamspeak server, always use the new linux user (here ts3server).

Don't forget to read the documentation : TeamSpeak 3 Server Quick Start.txt
    Last edited by florian_fr40; September 9th, 2011 at 08:36 AM.

fyi in Ubuntu you will need to sudo su in order to become like root. the root account is disabled in ubuntu. so revised would be...

Code:
    sudo su
    adduser ts3server
    passwd <choose a password>

su ts3server
    wget http://teamspeak.gameserver.gamed.de/ts3/releases/3.0.0/teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>-3.0.0.tar.gz
    tar xvfz teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>-3.0.0.tar.gz
    cd /home/ts3srv/teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>

EDIT: as i see you are using 11.04 i would recommend disabling unity due to the fact that is consumes an amazing amount of system resources. here are instructions: http://www.virtualhelp.me/linux/324-...on-ubuntu-1104

I did everything that was listed and it worked. Thank you. Just one other issue. Do I have to be signed into the ts3server account for it to run? Cause that's the way it appears. I tried switching users from terminal or something like that, but it didn't work. However, if i sign into the actual ts3 account via switching users, i can connect to the server just fine. But only then. There is no way that I can keep the server continuously running without having to switch back and forth between users? I always have my comp. up and running. i just want to the server to be up and running 24/7. Is it possible?

it's been a while since i've done this but i believe if you leave the terminal window open it should work

Code:
    su ts3server
    cd /home/ts3server/teamspeak3-server_linux-<arch>
    i did find a mistake in the commands we gave before. you were told to cd to the user folder of ts3srv where it should have been ts3server. sorry.

Thread Information