Forum

Voice breaking up (distorted/underwater)

I have setup a TS3 server Beta21, allowing about 5 users to connect all using beta20 clients.

At anytime a single persons chat will become distorted for everyone else, that user then needs to quit/restart the client to sound normal again, disconnecting to the server then reconnecting does not solve the issue.

Although the issue seems to happen at anytime, the longer you have the client open the more chance it seems to have of occurring, this is to say maybe opening a client for 30 mins, then closing and repeat 3x may not show the fault, however leaving your self connected over night in an AFK room will almost always cause the issue to occur.

Furthermore, although there does seem to be a time element to this issue, it also seems to occur more often if alot of alt-tabbing occurs from a full screen to different windows ( playing a 3d MMO and tabbing out to look at web pages).

Each person seems to have different hardware, I use a USB headset, others have different sound chipsets using headsets or mic/speaker combos.

Advice very welcome, more details on request, or even someone else saying they are having the same issue!!

Regards,
    StuMc.

What is the available bandwidth of the TS3 server (especially the upload speed)? How many clients are on the server while you get this problem? Do the server other things too, which need bandwidth?

upload for the internet connection the server is on is just over 1Mb and down is 8Mb, I do not know what the other users are using connection wise. However the fact that is can happen with 2 people on the server just as much as when 5 or 8 are on leads me to think its not a connection error, also latency of the game or other network traffic does not change (no sign of packet loss).
    furthermore the issue does not solve over time, I have left myself connected when the issue occurred ( i connect across the LAN) for over 30 mins and I still have the issue (others hear me distorted when i speak), the client quit/restart solves it directly.

Been having this very same issue for a while now... Even 2 differernt VPSes, from dif companies/datacenters even.. not a bandwidth issue..

TS3 still breaks up?

Quote Originally Posted by uberjon View Post
    Been having this very same issue for a while now... Even 2 differernt VPSes, from dif companies/datacenters even.. not a bandwidth issue..
    Hello TS Community.

I see that this problem apparently persists, as I have experienced it for a few months now.
    The TS3 server is hosted publicly and is paid for.
    This problem occurred just a few months ago, and I have tried tons of ideas to fix this, however with no avail.

Are the TS company actually doing anything about this? Or has anyone found a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    What is the available bandwidth of the TS3 server (especially the upload speed)? How many clients are on the server while you get this problem? Do the server other things too, which need bandwidth?
    There is more than enough bandwith on the server that I am using. And there are on average 20-25 clints during busy times. And I believe that the max is 100-unlimited. And there has been no other reported problems.

1. Ensure that you have enough upload speed and stable network
    If you're having packet loss or high ping during such "issue" then you don't have enough. Linux tips: iftop vnstat -l, iptraf

2. Ensure that you have enough free CPU/RAM
    That's probably not the problem but I've seen many overloaded OpenVZ VPSes with full CPU free but you couldn't even connect to terminal. Just make sure that it's not a problem. Linux tips: free, top, htop

3. Ensure you have no I/O problems
    TS3 may wait for hard drive for reading/writing to database. It's more common that not enough CPU/RAM. Linux tips: iotop

4. Ensure that you don't have problems with machine during such issue
    Can you log in to terminal? Can you observe similar problems on other game/voice servers?

TS3 itself is really lightweight and doesn't have any problems so your issue belongs to at least one of these four points above.

It's a codec bug so it seems.
    I have the same problem, my server is on a 100mbit unmetered, handling 500 connections per second without problems, has no packetloss, and has even been fine tweaked for performance.
    Load on the server is low and Memory/CPU usage is low too, so this is a server or a client issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Power2All View Post
    It's a codec bug so it seems.
    I have the same problem, my server is on a 100mbit unmetered, handling 500 connections per second without problems, has no packetloss, and has even been fine tweaked for performance.
    Load on the server is low and Memory/CPU usage is low too, so this is a server or a client issue.
    Yes, I would agree that it must be server/client issue.

ARCHI Those 4 points that you say must be one of the problems? How can you be so sure?

1. My internet connection is 50MBit/10MBit. I've never experienced this problem before, and have used Mumble/TS3/Ventrilo for 7 years.

2. CPU: 3770K 3.5GHz / 16GB DDR Memory.

3. I/O Problems? Storage unit is a OCZ Vertex3 SSD.

4. I have tested this issue by logging into another TS3 Server, same problem occurs , ( my outgoing sound begins to crackle after a while, and people cannot understand me. )

Server only forwards data so even if it's a software problem, TS3 Client is faulty.

Yes, you can check audio codecs for your ts3 channels - I'm using Opus Voice with quality of 10 and it works well. Also I never faced this issue myself so I'm not so sure, it's more likely something (firewall, router) is cutting UDP packets so you can't hear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHI View Post
    Server only forwards data so even if it's a software problem, TS3 Client is faulty.

Yes, you can check audio codecs for your ts3 channels - I'm using Opus Voice with quality of 10 and it works well. Also I never faced this issue myself so I'm not so sure, it's more likely something (firewall, router) is cutting UDP packets so you can't hear anything.
    Well, let me try and explain my problem to the best of my abilities (considering I'm non-english).
    I log on my online gaming guilds TS3 server. And everything works fine, until the connection has been running fine and stable for between 2-4 hours. THEN suddenly people on the server start to not being able to hear me clearly anymore, as in I start to sound crackly or something, and they can't make out what I say.

Hopefully, this description can help anyone with knowledge, to give me an idea, on how to fix it.

PS. This problem occurs every day. Always after 2-4 hours.

Problem is then definitely attached to network. I suggest running simple ping with -t and check your ping and packet loss while you're getting such freeze. It's most likely connection issues and not TS3 server itself.

could be that your internet provider is having routing difficulties. It is the case in germany for last 1-2 Month. Deutsche Telekom and reseller carrier have heavy routing problems. Try finding out if there any issues when tracerouting the ts3 server.

Thread Information