Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Question] File Transfer System

hello every one, i was wondering if there is a size quota for each vServer, and i'm not talking about transfer quota, just a size, so i can set the transfer can be set as -1 and i can be sure ppl won't use more space than what i have on my vps.

for now i only have the transfer quota set to 1gb, and even after all the files have been deleted the quota still blocking for new upload. then again i don't mind if i use 50gb as long as i don't need to keep those 50 at once.

thx in advance.

There is no size quota from our product.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Hello

Some information to help you:
    On Windows you can set it using a ftp system or more simple by the Windows File Server Ressource Manager.

On Linux, you have several solutions. The LVM system (lvcreate), the quota by user (userquota, grpquota - ext2/fstab) etc
    (old example : /dev/sda4 /home ext2 defaults,rw,usrquota,grpquota 0 0)

This is not really the good place to explain it in detail. But you can find several tuto about these tools on google.

yeah well i can figure out how to set a Linux user quota, but that might not be the best option as well.
    isn't user quota gonna block that user if he got his limit?
    also there is another problem here, each virtual server would share the same quota for the whole server/user, in that case some one might not have space even w/o doing any upload. i think the size quota per vServer would be a great feature, also i think it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

and i'm running my server at Linux, a small vps with 50gb which is alot already for a small ts server, but anyhow i don't wanna get any surprise bills or my vps stopped because i don't have enough space .

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    There is no size quota from our product.
    Any plans on adding that in the future?

About the quota using Linux "tool", you can create a linux user for each virtual server and create a link (ls command) between the Teamspeak folder and the "linux user space". When the quota is reached, the user get an error message from the Teamspeak server.

Effectively it's not really an "easy way". Each "linux user space must be created "manualy".
    (but with a script ....)
    Last edited by florian_fr40; November 29th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.

This has been requested and rejected, but maybe you read the last answer
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...ighlight=quota
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    This has been requested and rejected, but maybe you read the last answer
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...ighlight=quota
    yeah well it isn't the same request actually, i'm not talking about file size, i don't care if ppl upload one file that have all his quota, or he can also upload 1000 files, that isn't the problem. it isn't about channel quota either.

what would be nice is a vServer quota, where you can set via Tools->Edit Virtual Server[Transfers].

the current way for manage that doesn't make sense at all to me. Let me tell you why.
    Most users don't have or don't need to upload files. so they have no limit for download. But them one person needs to do a lot of uploads, lets say the server admin group. He will gets his quota full too fast, and if i gave him a bigger quota what is going to happen is that he will upload more and more, but there will be no limit on the size of the files, he doesn't care, and he also doesn't know, how much space i have on the real server, and if he for some reason upload too much he might get the whole server down, now imagine that on a big server with a bunch of virtual server. one guy who happens to have a very small vserver, the cheapest one, and he start to upload stuff just to get the server full and crash the whole deal.
    another thing can also happens here, some one could even flood the server, create hundreds of new users, each one with a single file lets say 10mb, no one will set a quota of 10mb per user. and if you do that it will bring you more headache.

this isn't only something to make the file transfer system better, it is also a security issue.

i understand that a vServer limit isn't that hard to do, but as we don't have many ppl asking for it it might not be done.
    i also have asked before for a better file manager, where you could navigate trough the channels as if they were a recursive tree, as we see at windows explorer or any other.

but thx anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    About the quota using Linux "tool", you can create a linux user for each virtual server and create a link (ls command) between the Teamspeak folder and the "linux user space". When the quota is reached, the user get an error message from the Teamspeak server.

Effectively it's not really an "easy way". Each "linux user space must be created "manualy".
    (but with a script ....)
    yeah well at linux i think you could make a script to handle all that, not sure on how to do it at a windows server tho.

Thread Information