Forum

Solved Can't seem to get my TS3 server working on my remote IP

Okay, so I am trying to run a TS3 server on my Windows Home Server 2003 x86 machine. However, while it runs fine on my local network, I can't seem to access it via my external IP.

• I have checked, and I am indeed using the correct executable - ts3server_win32.exe.
    • I have set the WHS machine to the IP address 192.168.1.145.
    • I changed my router's settings so 9987/UDP, 10011/TCP, and 30033/TCP all get forwarded to their respective ports on 192.168.1.145.
    • I have edited the WHS machine's firewall settings so all 3 of those ports, as well as the TS3 executable itself, are exceptions.
    • I have tried every possibility for the command line parameters - here's my current run.bat that I'm using to start the server (this is in C:\teamspeak3, along with the executable and all the files):
      Code:
      ts3server_win32.exe voice_ip=192.168.1.145
      I have also tried using my external IP as well as not specifying any IP - neither worked.
    • I have checked and I am able to connect to the server via 192.168.1.145 on local network computers.
    • I have checked the logs being produced by the server - it has been successfully binding to its ports every time (except for the time when I tried to bind it to my external IP)
    • I have turned on remote access in that stupid GUI-based WHS Console (it's working, the fancy-shmancy website is online).

Oh yeah, and here's a simplified version of my house's network:
    Code:
     Interwebs
         |
       Modem
         |
    Main Router --- Switch --- WHS Machine
         \
          --- Wireless Switch --- Laptop I've been working from
    Just so you know, "Main Router" is the router on which I changed the port-forwarding settings (I have successfully port-forwarded other stuff on my house network so I know I did that right).

I looked through a bunch of other posts on this forum and I've done everything people said to do. WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!

So to summarise, you're able to connect to your Teamspeak server from your laptop?

Where are you trying to connect to your Teamspeak server via your external IP address from?

voice_ip=192.168.1.145 > this let's no one else outside the LAN connect to your machine!

voice_ip= is only needed, when your server does have more then 1 IP.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    voice_ip=192.168.1.145 > this let's no one else outside the LAN connect to your machine!

Even if the correct ports are forwarded from the router?

Code:
    * voice_ip (0.0.0.0)
      IP on which the server instance will listen for incoming voice connections.
      Default: The server is bound on any IP address.
    The server will wait for every connection to that IP. Have you ever tried to connec to an LAN IP from outside?
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Air SeaTac View Post
    So to summarise, you're able to connect to your Teamspeak server from your laptop?

Where are you trying to connect to your Teamspeak server via your external IP address from?
    I have been using the laptop to test connecting internally and externally. It can get on 192.168.1.145 just fine, but it times out when I try to connect to 71.79.XX.XX (I don't feel like posting my whole IP online at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post

Originally, I tried to do this without setting that parameter, but when it wasn't working, I tried adding the "voice_ip=192.168.1.145" thing, after I read a suggestion to do it in another thread. And anyway, doing that actually should be working, in theory. If my router is forwarding 9987 to 192.168.1.145, then naturally my TS3 server should be listening to 192.168.1.145. It's not directly connected to 71.79.XX.XX, so it can't directly listen to it.

I've got the feeling this might be somewhere in some security thing on the Windows Home Server. I made all the necessary exceptions in Windows Firewall and even tried disabling the entire firewall, but could there be another program in WHS'03 that is messing stuff up? There are a lot of administrative tools and such built-in to WHS'03 that I'm not familiar with (i.e. they don't appear in the normal, desktop versions of Windows); is there any one of those that blocks stuff like this?

Quote Originally Posted by oxguy3 View Post
    I have been using the laptop to test connecting internally and externally. It can get on 192.168.1.145 just fine, but it times out when I try to connect to 71.79.XX.XX (I don't feel like posting my whole IP online at the moment)
    Ok, so what network is your laptop connected to when testing the external IP? If it's still using its LAN IP then you won't be able to connect to Teamspeak via the external IP

I think the only way anyone's going to be able to diagnose your problem is if you give your external IP out

Quote Originally Posted by Air SeaTac View Post
    Ok, so what network is your laptop connected to when testing the external IP? If it's still using its LAN IP then you won't be able to connect to Teamspeak via the external IP

I think the only way anyone's going to be able to diagnose your problem is if you give your external IP out
    Wait, seriously, you can't connect to a TS3 server via external IP if you're in its LAN? ARGH! Okay it's CENSORED; I've just started the server, can you please try to connect?
    Last edited by oxguy3; December 7th, 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: censoring IP again

Connected ok, problem solved

Huzzah! Thanks so much Air SeaTac! I feel stupid now lol.

Thread Information