Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved (Feedback) WYSIWYG editor removes spaces and multiply codes

Hello.

Using the advanced editor for the channel description field to activate the WYSIWYG option can be a risky decision because some formats are changed:

a) just 1 blank remains --> if you had entered spaces trying to vertical align two rows, only 1 blank will remain --> Any solution? In html it exists   for this.

b) Repeat codes every time a new code is found inside another one. For exemple, if you had Bold inside a color then the color is closed and opened. After using WYIWYG the result is very hard to be maintained because there are too many 'color' to be changed.

Code:
    --Before--  2 blanks for 'simulate' vertical align and only 1 color control at the beginning
    [ COLOR=#a52a2a ]Número de personas:  [ B ]300[ /B ] [ /COLOR ]
    [ COLOR=#800080 ]Nombre de persons:    [ B ]300[ /B ] [ /COLOR ]

Número de personas:  [ B ]300[ /B ]
    Nombre de persons:    [ B ]300[ /B ]

--After-- extra blanks removed, no vertical align and 3 color control in each line
    [ COLOR=#a52a2a ]Número de personas: [ /COLOR ][ COLOR=#a52a2a ][ B ]300[ /B ][ /COLOR ][ COLOR=#a52a2a ] [ /COLOR ]
    [ COLOR=#800080 ]Nombre de persons: [ /COLOR ][ COLOR=#800080][ B ]300[ /B ][ /COLOR ][ COLOR=#800080 ] [ /COLOR ]

Número de personas: [ B ]300[ /B ]
    Nombre de persons: [ B ]300[ /B ]
    Greetings.

Please read this post.
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...869#post307869

We won't add or fix anything for this feature.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Please read this post.
    We won't add or fix anything for this feature.
    Hello.

Read it and roger.

What happened was you rejected the other while was writting this one.

Greetings.

Some clarification: The WYSIWYG editor was certainly a cool idea, but in my opinion requires too many efforts for what it offers. Technically, converting bbCode -> HTML is no problem, we do that all the time already. But HTML -> bbCode is a problem, because the editor window doesn't contain "normal" HTML but some kind of automatically "Qt-enhanced" HTML. Parsing this special Qt-Html back to bbCode is problematic, especially if Qt should ever change their special Html in a future Qt version, everything will fall apart and has to be redone. To be honest, fixing the WYSIWYG thing would be an endless battle, and I doubt the time and efforts spent into it is worth it. After all, this isn't really the core feature of TeamSpeak. There might be better areas we can focus on which improve the TeamSpeak experience.

So we had been discussing to remove toggling between bbCode and WYSIWYG in the same editor. While I understand that removing features is always a bad thing, we hope to offer something else as replacement: A sort of "live-preview". This means, you edit the bbCode like before (but without toggling to Html and back) and see in a second read-only preview window the final Html. This preview would be optional, so one could turn the window off.

So far nothing has been done, it's mostly chewing on some ideas, but this solution was so far the favorite within the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Some clarification: The WYSIWYG editor was certainly a cool idea, but in my opinion requires too many efforts for what it offers.
    ···
    To be honest, fixing the WYSIWYG thing would be an endless battle, and I doubt the time and efforts spent into it is worth it. After all, this isn't really the core feature of TeamSpeak. There might be better areas we can focus on which improve the TeamSpeak experience.

So we had been discussing to remove toggling between bbCode and WYSIWYG in the same editor. While I understand that removing features is always a bad thing, we hope to offer something else as replacement: A sort of "live-preview". This means, you edit the bbCode like before (but without toggling to Html and back) and see in a second read-only preview window the final Html. This preview would be optional, so one could turn the window off.

Hello.

I agree with you and i would prefer not having the "A" button just from now without having to wait some alternative and the sort of "live-preview" you comment could be a good one.

I believe in the description field: to talk is a very good thing but people have to be present, the channel chat is a good thing but again it's a matter of be present, however the description field it's a tool that allows people be informed and coordinated without be present when the events took place or decisions were taken. The available bbCode are enough for communicating, the advanced editor almost it's enough too. A possibility for having a preview could be great but, at the end, the result it's when the text is applied. The editor, the person that fills the description, always will have to verify the published text in the channel panel and if there was any mistake then back to edit again.

I know you have clear the pros and couns of the WYSYWYG, that's why i comment or suggest having:

a) a direct access to the advanced editor, for to not confuse the publisher with other options and tabs that do not apply to his work

b) a simply way to publish and re-edit, for facilitate the corrections.

I had summarized those points in this suggestion:
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...el-description

Not having the "A" button in the advanced editor, a simple access to the tool and an easy apply-edit sequence could be a really good thing, I think, having or not WYIWYG.

Greetings

Thread Information