Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solved Banlilst : Name with accent not shown correctly

Hi,

Here's a little bug.

If you decide to add manually someone on the banlist and copy the nickname from the server chat tab and past it in the banlist adding window, when validating, the nickname will not show the accent correctly in the listing in the banlist window.

Here's a screenshot. As you can see, the bug is in this example on the first line.

Ofc, if you put only the name in the banlist (no ip, no uid), the result is that the ban is not working at all as the name is not recognized when the user connects back. (not the same for the server so not blocking the user).

Name:  BugAccentBanListV3.0.5.png
Views: 366
Size:  142.6 KB

P.S. : I see the question comming, yes i tried with the default skin, same storry.
    Florian tested it too and could reproduce it.
    Last edited by TotoIsBack; March 7th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.

This is no bug. Our Ban system can't handle Unicode caracters in nickname.
    The nickname gets converted for our ban system and this is the reason why it looks like your ban.

You have to set
    Code:
    Bour(ú)ne
    for the nickname Bourúne

--------
    The IP field shows the correct name, because it will never get banend and we dont need to convert anything.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Ok, maybe, but i think this should be handled be the client, as i'm sur i'm not the only one copying things from the server chat tab, the client should be able to convert automatically the nickname.

You are totally not logical.
    You use unicode in the chat tab but you're not able to use it in the banlist ?
    Are you sure you are the same programmers on the same client ?
    Really... the more it goes, the more illogical things appears in Ts3...

Btw, i can't imagine that my notepad can past the nickname correctly and the banlist can't use it properly...
    If not a bug, it's a programmer failure... sorry, but things must be said....

So i rather suppose this IS a bug and the devs will correct this, or it will only show that the devs are fails... (and i can't imaging that right ?)
    (You realize that you can't handle nickname format from your own program right ?)

[Edit] Your solution isn't working either. when editing the name in the banlist and adding () in it, i only get as result : \( \) inserted in the nickname, nothing else. Did you test your own solution proposal ?

This is definitly no bug. You as an user have no idea, what will be done in the background of such an ban :-/. I for myslef had to ask the same thing, why it is working in the IP field.

Our reg expression system can't candle unicode characers, thats all.

---
    You have to ban it as an regular expression. I'm pretty sure this will work.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

But it can recognize the space char ? that should be (&#160 ?

This caracter is also an Ascii code......

As far as i know, accent and co are available in Extended ASCII codes.... so why not use it ?

BTW do you realize that the banlist could totally (with some modification) be able to handle those kind of nickename, and that if it's not a bug since an update or so, it is still a lake of finishing the banlist system and that should not be like that?

What if the same thing would happend in the chat tab ? would you say it's not a bug ?
    I cant' understand you logic behind this...

[Edit] do you realize that it is just a matter of interpreting the char to show them ? Why would it work on regex (that is totally not used for this kind of ban btw) and not standard text use ? so you made the regex print function work with unicode and extended ascii but not standard text ? so you missed something here when coding... or i missed something.... but i doubt that ppl will use regex to simply ban a name with accent or special char in it... (do you realize 99% of users don't know what regex is ?)

Curiouse to have an answer from one of the devs about this.....

[Edit2] And btw, with this kind of attitude, you only show that you don't care about ppl speaking and writting in another language than english that COMMONLY use accent in their nickname and you make banning those kind of nickname a pain in the ass for admins !
    But as far as i understand with your answers, you don't care... nice mentality....

[Edit 3] Ok now let's laugh a bit.... you WILL correct a bug about accent in... banner ?!? (http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...it-isn-t-shown) but in banlist it is not a bug and you don't care that accent are not working ?
    You must be kidding me, right ? Banner more important than ban system.... what a joke... (oh yeah i don't thing i'm finish with editing my post, but at least i do not make 300 replies i just edit....)

[Edit4] Hoppefully a Dev will come and see this a talk a bit more about this and will be more concerned than you... (Remembers me the time when you had negatives reputation.... hopefully static 10 green reputation helps you.... and i see you're in the TeamSpeak Team now ? Omg...Do devs really know what they're doing ? looks like this team is going worst with the time... but where's the banner that should go with your rank ? just saying...
    Last edited by TotoIsBack; March 7th, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: adding stuff

First, I have to say that the thread starter is wrong in several things:
    The bug is not related to the client in any way. You get it even via query.
    ASCII is a name for the characters 0 to 127. The 0 to 255 area is often (incorrectly) named ANSI, but that would me its some sort of standard, which isn't true, since the chracters in 128 to 255 depend on where you're from. An European will have different characters than a Russian (ъ instead of ú in your example).
    Space is #32. #160 (Unicode) is a non-breaking space, which is not a space.
    Regexes are not working for names.

Althrough the thread starter is wrong in some details, the he's right in some main things:
    It's a bug with an invalid conversion of the incoming banadd command. This leads to an incorrect SQL query. How can I tell that? I set up a local server, added a ban for myself (my nickname is Яedeemer). As stated by the starter, the ban gets malformed &#1071 ;edeemer, and therefore doesn't work. If you go to the database, change the banned nickname back to Яedeemer, a user with that name can't connect. Mishandling of such a name is also unlikely. I checked the ASCII interpretation (/edeemer).
    But there's yet another problem: The ban is displayed incorrectly by the client, as well as via query. Both display &#1071 ;edeemer again, through the ban keeps working and is still stored as Яedeemer in the database.
    Since the server software can obviously handle non-ASCII name bans and it's simply a case of incorrect conversion of data in several places, it should be easy for the devs to fix.

/Edit: Damn forum.

Thank you for your reply and confirming this !
    I only got on ASCII and such stuff cause dante696 went on this way... i, in the first place, did not talked about this...
    That said...

Just saying: Last time I checked Regular Expressions were working fine with Name Bans. So unless something changed there Regular Expressions are working for Nicknames.

Also when trying to manually adding a Ban on my Server, using numma's example of Яedeem (copied from his Post above and pasted into the Add Ban Dialog) and pasting it into the Name field (using Wildcard which is the Default Setting) hitting ok it does get transformed to &#10 71;edeem and displayed like that in the Banlist.
    When I tried to connect with Яedeem after adding that ban, the server correctly states that I was banned.

I went ahead and did some more testing on this:
    I changed that Ban and put Яedeem.* in the Name Field and switched the Dropdown to Regular Expression and hit Ok.
    Again the String got transformed into &#10 71;edeem.* and is displayed as such in the Banlist.
    I then tried to connect using the Nickname Яedeemj3i73fgsG2 and again the Server told me I was banned (which is correct)

So whatever you are doing you seem to be doing something wrong.
    Note: Spaces between 10 and 71 are manually added to prevent the Forum turning it into Я (since the Forum doesn't seem to allow other ways of replacing it like using & for example). These Spaces are NOT in the Banlist.

I retested, i now the servers ban correctly too, even if showing the char not correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    Also when trying to manually adding a Ban on my Server, using numma's example of Яedeem (copied from his Post above and pasted into the Add Ban Dialog) and pasting it into the Name field (using Wildcard which is the Default Setting) hitting ok it does get transformed to &#10 71;edeem and displayed like that in the Banlist.
    When I tried to connect with Яedeem after adding that ban, the server correctly states that I was banned.
    Well, it seems random then. Maybe it's somewhat depending on the operating system, version or whatever, since Toto and I had it. However, the bug also ceased to exist here...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    I went ahead and did some more testing on this:
    I changed that Ban and put Яedeem.* in the Name Field and switched the Dropdown to Regular Expression and hit Ok.
    Again the String got transformed into &#10 71;edeem.* and is displayed as such in the Banlist.
    I then tried to connect using the Nickname Яedeemj3i73fgsG2 and again the Server told me I was banned (which is correct)
    I thought the regex syntax for adding clients to the ban list via query was like the regex syntax for finding clients or so. Obviously it's another system. Thank you.

Hello there,

the reason our regexp engine does not "understand" unicode regexp ist because to build it with this support we would need to add the ICU library ( http://site.icu-project.org ) to the TeamSpeak server - on my linux system this library is installed and takes up ~19 MB of space, which is quite considerable considering that the whole TS3 server installed weighs in at < 5mb currently. We would be greatly inflating the installer size.

Our solution actually works quite well without needing this additional library: Every nick name is converted to an "Ascii Representation", where each non ascii symbol is converted to "&#NUMBER;", the number being the unicode code point of this character. In your example your name "Яedeemer" will be converted to "&#NUMBER;edeemer". The same thing happens when you add a name ban that contains unicode characters: These characters are transformed, so if you want to ban your own nick name, and you go "banadd name=Яedeemer" the ban list will contain "name=&#NUMBER;edeemer". This works just fine when you connect to the server, working as expected (you are banned).

Problems of this solution:
    (1) If somebody actually calls himself "&#NUMBER;bla" (this is his name), he is also banned because the system cannot distinguish between the Я and the name containing "&#NUMBER;". In our experience this is only a theoretical problem, people don't seem to be using "&#NUMBER;" much in their nick names
    (2) When you start to use regular expressions (and not just ban exact names), you must take care with the repeating characters. For example "*" means to repeat a character zero, one or more times, with "r*ing" i can ban "ing", "ring", "rring", "rrring" etc. Now if I want to do the same with Я instead of r, and write "Я*ing" into the ban name field it will not work, because after expanding the Я the ban reads "&#NUMBER;*ing", which instructs it to repeat the ";" zero one or more times...not what we wanted. So in this case you must use brackets to make sure the entire Я is applied to the "*", and write "(Я)*ing". After expanding it will be "(&#NUMBER*ing", which will work as expected.

Bottom line: Only in very special cases do you need to take extra care because the TS3 server is not built with unicode aware regexp. You can still ban any names, no matter what characters they contain, but you might have to use some brackets that *seem* unecessary from a top level perspective.
    Last edited by Peter; March 8th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Thank you for the reply.
    The thing i don't understand is :

- In chat tabs : accent are shown correctly
    - In channel names : accent are shown correctly
    - In banners name : this will be fixed and shown and interpreted correctly
    - I suppose that in menus, this is shown correctly

So why is the banlist window not showing it correctly but everywhere else on teamspeak it is ??? (and i don't speak about regex but about Wildcard and Fixed string)
    Your reply did not answer that or i missed a point in it....

Actually it is displayed correctly . Ban lists are ascii only, the fact that you can enter unicode characters and the server is kind enough to convert them to the ascii representation for you does NOT mean that you ever have unicode characters in the ban list. You do not. This is why no unicode characters are ever displayed in the ban list, they just aren't in it ever .

It is important that the banlist is displayed in it's converted ascii only form, since it is essential to understand why the regexp work the way they do (and not a in a way they don't ).

As described above:
    Я* <- this means the weird R character repeated zero, one or more times (e.g. "ЯЯЯЯ" matches)
    #&NUMBER;* <- this will NOT match the character specified by the unicode code point number multiple times! The "*" only applies to the character before, which is the ";", so this ban will ban somebody who is called "#&NUMBER;", or "Я" (these two are equivalent to the TS3 server), or "#&NUMBER" or "#&NUMBER;;" or "Я;" (last two again equivalent to the ts3 server), or "#&NUMBER;;;" or "Я;;" (last two again equivalent to the ts3 server) etc.

Thread Information