Forum

Permissions, Powers and Privileges

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can either guide me or point me in the direction to information that makes sense enough to understand without needing a degree lol.

This post is a bit long, and I do apologize for that, but I'm trying to cover a lot of ground.

I own a TS3 server and have full server rights (able to change and modify everything). The issues I'm having is trying to understand the actual tiered power system of the various groups.

I understand, or think I do, that Channel Groups override Server Groups. But in the TeamSpeak tutorials, the gentleman states that I'll only be messing with the Server Groups until I learn the more complex stuff. If I create a custom Server Group for say, assistant admins, but yet their channel group always defaults to "Guest" (who do NOT have admin style powers like kick and ban), then won't the AA's not be able to kick or ban since the Channel Group overrides the Server Group?

Also, what is the point in having various groups if one overrides the others? Wouldn't it just be easier to create one group and set the permissions as needed? I guess I don't understand the purpose of the group tier structure and was hoping someone could break that down into simple, layman terms?

Now let's say I have a server that has 6 channels and need to set specific permissions (such as channel subscriptions), where, exactly, do I set these permissions so that those logging in, guests as well as custom group users (registered I guess), do not receive a insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions) every time they log into the main server channel (the default channel)? Do I set those permissions in the Server Group, the Channel Group, the Channel Permissions? Where? I already have the Advanced Permissions viewer open and see all the permission options, I'm just not sure what to set where. Again, I'm really hoping someone can break this stuff down into layman's terms.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help provided.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Cryotech
    understand, or think I do, that Channel Groups override Server Groups
    In fact, this is the opposite

A server group can "overwrite" the channel and channel group permission when the b_client_skip_channelgroup_permission is checked in this group.

Also, when you have several server group, you could "overwrite" a permission using the skip and negated option (on each permission you want).

About the subscription:
    Don't forget, the main idea from this permission system is a comparaison between the power that you have and the required power.
    (between the power permission and the needed_power permission).

Thread Information