Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved Modify Channel Permission System Problem

I'm experiencing a unique error in my channel modifying permissions and it has me a little stumped to say the least.

I have 4 levels of server group permissions,

Members
    Moderators
    Admin

Guest and Members obviously have no modify channel permissions. My Moderators and Admins both have them at different levels.

My Moderators i_channel_permission_modify_power is set to 75
    My Admin i_channel_permission_modify_power is set to 100

Both fairly straight forward, My channel are mixed between requiring 75 power and 100 power to modify depending on the level of security. I have no issues with my admin group, however the trouble is coming from my Moderator group. It seems that if I set them to 75 i_channel_permission_modify_power, that they can modify all the channels including ones set to require 100.

At first I figured that maybe somewhere in the TS3 server code, 75+ was maybe set to be equivalent to super admin or something so I took a few minutes and lowered their i_channel_permission_modify_power down to 70 and changed all the channels that they should be able to modify down to requiring 70 power.

Well this fixed the issue with the moderators being able to modify channels requiring 100, but now they couldn't modify channels requiring 70 power to modify... ok so I figured maybe I needed the i_channel_permission_modify_power to be greater than the channel requirement, so I set it to 71, then 72, 73, 74. None would allow me to modify a channel requiring 70 power to modify. So I poped them back to 75 and presto, they're able to modify everything again including 100 required power channels.

All in all its not a major issue for us since I trust my moderators not to do stupid things but frankly I'm stumped as to whats going on. Any thoughts?

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by keldaria
    It seems that if I set them to 75 i_channel_permission_modify_power, that they can modify all the channels including ones set to require 100.
    The first thing to check is if in this server group the b_client_skip_channelgroup_permission is checked
    (This permission "allow" a serve group to "overwrite" the channel and channel group permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    Hello

The first thing to check is if in this server group the b_client_skip_channelgroup_permission is checked
    (This permission "allow" a serve group to "overwrite" the channel and channel group permissions.
    This permission is not checked in my moderator group.

I'm also pretty sure that If I had this permission checked it would have caused the moderator group to not act the way it did when I lowered the i_channel_permission_modify_power to 70 as mentioned above.

Honestly that's why i'm just stumped over this, I'm not sure what would cause it to act this way.

Ok

So, move a user (from the Moderator group) in a channel with a needed modify power to 100 and make a permission overview.
    (Right click on him > Permissions > Permission Overview > click on "Export as PDF")

Interesting, I was able to find the channel permission I was missing.

I was setting channel permissions by right clicking the channel > Edit Channel > Permissions Tab > and setting the Modify Setting there to 100 to prevent manipulation. This apparently Corresponding to the channels i_channel_needed_modify_power setting and was set to 100 as I thought that was the correct setting for that. Apparently there is another setting which I needed to adjust which wasn't available in the channel edit menu I was using and needs to be access threw the channel permissions overview section. The i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power was set to 75 and that appears to be what the server uses to check if a group has permission to edit or not.

I guess this wraps up my mystery but I can't help but think that it might be nice if they could add this permission to the edit channel permissions tab, for easy access.

Thanks for your assistance.

Thread Information