Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Not possible] Microphone Mutes on Computer Lock

I am having an issue where my microphone mutes due to the computer locking after some time (Network group policy, there are reasons for it and it won't be changed)

here's the story
    I use Teamspeak on a dedicated machine because the PS3 VOIP is god awful, my computer locks about every 10-15 minutes and the microphone then mutes (however; the playback continues to operate normally), I believe it's TS muting the microphone rather than windows. I've googled quite a bit and haven't been able to find a solution or any instance of this happening through windows rather than TS.

Please let me know if there is a solution and if not, what the reason would be for such an implementation.

This is a wanted behavior and can not be changed anymore.
    We try to avoid, that users microphone still sends everything, when the computer is locked. We had some complaints, that a microphone still was sending everything, what happend in a room.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    This is a wanted behavior and can not be changed anymore.
    We try to avoid, that users microphone still sends everything, when the computer is locked. We had some complaints, that a microphone still was sending everything, what happend in a room.
    Hmm ok thanks for the reply. a checkbox would be fantastic btw if your devs are bored. Would operating TS inside a VM cause any issues? I'd be happy with a 'hack-fix' even it doesn't need to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by changelog.txt
    === Client Release 3.0.0-rc1 10 May 2011
    * Removed option "Mute microphone when locking", now always active.
    === Client Release 3.0.0-beta10 - 10 Jan 2010 (never officially released)
    * Added option to disable muting when locking screen. It is enabled by default.
    (Windows only feature)
    There was an Option which you could check / uncheck for over a year in earlier Versions but it got removed with the Final Release (according to Dantes Post above due to complaints). Apparently people were too stupid to uncheck an Option and making it default off would have been too easy.

As far as Virtual Machines go most Windows VMs I run locked themselves once the Host gets locked and thus it wouldn't fix your issue. You can always try it yourself, I am not aware of any issues running TS3 inside a Virtual Machine other then that I never had any sound in my VMs (but I didnt strive to get sound in them in the first place)

"If you make something idiot proof, it will only be used by idiots." -Unknown

Sounds like the wrong default setting was used with the check box in place. Is there a place I can find old releases? perhaps that beta?

While it is possible to obtain old Client Releases, using them would make you prone to their bugs / Security Issues.
    Also older Client Releases will not work together with newer Server Releases (or at least not entirely) and there will be issues and possibly forced Disconnects / Crashes.

My advice would be to first try the Virtual Machine approach before resorting to using an outdated Client Version, especially so since the last available Client Release that still had this Checkbox was released in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    While it is possible to obtain old Client Releases, using them would make you prone to their bugs / Security Issues.
    Also older Client Releases will not work together with newer Server Releases (or at least not entirely) and there will be issues and possibly forced Disconnects / Crashes.

My advice would be to first try the Virtual Machine approach before resorting to using an outdated Client Version, especially so since the last available Client Release that still had this Checkbox was released in 2010.

Would a plugin have the appropriate access to API to resolve this? If so I'll just write a quick small plugin.

In my opinion users should choose to have an option to never mute the microphone. I suggest providing a method to keep the microphone unmuted while the local windows console is locked. We would be happy with a plugin, startup command switch, or some other way to enable this feature. After searching the forums I found that this was a feature and then removed after some complaints. Wholly removing features based on "Idiot User Syndrome" is enough to remove TeamSpeak client from consideration, move on in search for an alternative VOIP solution for fear of problems like this in furture releases. I understand customer privacy is a high priority however the careless solution currently provided is not the right answer to the problem.

In short explanation I am researching VoIP solutions for a project at work. The microphone muting is the biggest problem I found when testing the client TeamSpeak software. The client software mutes the microphone while the local console is locked. The microphone stays muted even during an active remote console session.

I suggest review and revision of the choice made to mute the microphone upon console lock. Provide a solution that will appease everyone. I personally recommend obscurity for the option to keep the microphone open while the console is locked. That an individual does not accidentally enable the option to have their privacy compromised.

I do expect a response from TeamSpeak whether for agreement, disagreement, acknowledgement, or for consultation.

My need is to run voice communication services for ~5000 client devices that is run on a secure, dedicated, and isolated IP network spanning across several locations within a ~10 miles radius. Also there will be a bridge for ~100 client devices over isolated leased connections all over 500 miles from the main facility. It is impossible for this isolated network to have any connections to any outside networks.

Can this decision please be revisited?
    I use a wireless headset to move around in my office and since my PC is presence aware it locks it self as soon I leave its side.
    This is really annoying if a have a conservation ongoing.

There used to be a plugin which was able to override this behavior but it doesn't work anymore too.

Thread Information