Forum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

[RELEASE / TS 3.1] foolower 1.21 - foobar2000 volume control

foolower 1.21 - a volume control tool for foobar2000
    Simply lowers or mutes music when someone talks.
    Please read requirements first!

:: Requirements
    • TeamSpeak 3.1 or higher
    • foobar2000 v1.0 or higher with hotkeys configured
    • Windows only
    • (optional) foo_winamp_spam

:: How it works
    You always hear music while you are in TeamSpeak3? And if someone is speaking, you can't fully understand him? So use foolower to solve this problem. Everytime someone talks, the volume can be lowered or fully reduced (define that by yourself).

:: Customization
    Because the SDK of foobar2000 is very complicated, it uses a workaround for this. The first workaround is to send hotkeys to foobar2000. So you have to register two hotkeys and can set whatever you want to do (for example, lowering volume, fully mute or pause the current song). The other way is to install an additional foobar2000 plugin which can communicate with foolower which doesn't need hotkeys then.
    Also you can set up your own configuration. Just type /foolower help into server chat to gain more information.

:: Miscellaneous / Changelog
    • [Fixed in 1.21] Updated Plugin API to 21 (TeamSpeak 3.1 compatible)
    • [Added] 64bit build
    • [Fixed in 1.9] Updated Plugin API from 5 to 8
    • [Fixed in 1.8] Updated Plugin API from 4 to 5
    • [Changed in 1.7] (internal only) Linked against std::vector instead of using static arrays
    • [Fixed in 1.7] Updated Plugin API from 3 to 4
    • [Added in 1.6] Second workaround without hotkeys using foo_winamp_spam plugin
    • [Fixed in 1.5] Hotkeys can now be configured without any problems
    • [Added in 1.4] Command based configuration system. Use /foolower help for more information (also allows you to configure hotkeys used by foolower)
    • [Changed in 1.3] Updated Plugin API from 2 to 3
    • [Added in 1.2] As requested by PeterS, the delay until CONTROL and ALT and NUMPAD 3 (resume) will send, is set to 1500ms (1.5 seconds) to don't get nerved by immediately volume up and downs
    • [Added in 1.2] As requested by PeterS, CONTROL and ALT and NUMPAD 1 (mute) won't send if you are speaking
    • [Changed in 1.1] Updated Plugin API from 1 to 2
    • [1.0] First release

:: Which method should I use?
    You can surely make your own decision. Here are the pro's and contra's of both methods:
    • The hotkey method:
      • Pro: More freedom what to do when hotkeys come in
      • Pro: No need of the 173kb plugin foo_winamp_spam
      • Contra: May not work with all applications (some users reported problems with some games)
      • Contra: May overlapping with other system-wide hotkeys
    • The volumes / foo_winamp_spam method:
      • Pro: Works in every case with every application
      • Pro: Can set volume to a more precise value
      • Pro: Don't have to set up hotkeys (doesn't overalp with any other hotkeys)
      • Pro: Quite simpler installation
      • Contra: Download and place the 173kb foo_winamp_spam plugin
      • Contra: Can only change volume or fully mute, not pause song or other things

:: What you've to do / Installation
    • Both:
      • Download the TS3 plugin file foolower.ts3_plugin or do it manually: foolower.zip and extract the both dll-files to "%AppData%\TS3Client\plugins"
      • Start TeamSpeak3 and go to "Settings -> Options -> Addons" and verify foolower is loaded correctly
      • You may want to configure, so use /foolower help (type into chat)
      • Done!
    • The hotkey method:
      • Open foobar2000 and go to "Library -> Configure"
      • Choose "General -> Keyboard Shortcuts" on the left panel
      • Set up a hotkey by clicking "Add New"
        • Now click into the "Key"-field
        • Press CONTROL and ALT and NUMPAD 1 (on the right side of you keyboard) at same time
        • Check "[x] Global Hotkey"
        • Now search for "main -> Playback" in the list box
        • Select an action you want to perform when someone starts speaking (example: "Volume -> Set to -12 dB")
      • Set up another hotkey by clicking "Add New" again
        • Now click into the "Key"-field
        • Press CONTROL and ALT and NUMPAD 3 (on the right side of you keyboard) at same time
        • Check "[x] Global Hotkey"
        • Now search for "main -> Playback" in the list box
        • Select an action you want to perform when someone stops speaking (example: "Volume -> Set to 0 dB")
    • The volumes / foo_winamp_spam method:
      • Use the command /foolower method volumes to activate this method
      • Download foo_winamp_spam and save to "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components" (or whereever you've installed foobar2000)
      • Restart foobar2000

:: Download
    Plugin for your TeamSpeak 3.1 client: https://dl.c9k.de/foolower.ts3_plugin
    Manual installation: https://dl.c9k.de/foolower.zip
    Source code for further development (please read readme.txt): https://dl.c9k.de/foolower-src.7z

:: Future plans / To-Do
    • More ideas? Tell me!
    Last edited by rossmann; January 13th, 2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Made 3.1 compatible

Updated to Beta 11.
    No reactions?

Just speechless because the update to the new plugin SDK version was so fast. :-)

EDIT: Okay... some more meaningful comments:

Works like a charm, added to my permanently installed plugins.
    I've no idea about the Foobar SDK. With Winamp you can send window messages to control it, suppose that's much easier than with the Foobar hotkeys.

One idea might be to lower the volume only when other people are speaking, not for yourself. Another idea might be to have a little delay before turning volume up again to avoid too frequent changes or volume down/up when many people are talking.

Anyways, thanks for the plugin. Good to see that people are coming up with something useful. :-)
    Last edited by PeterS; January 18th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Hi.
    Yep, changes weren't great. Only change the API-Version functions and anyID to uint64 on some places.

The foobar SDK is very complicated (for me although I think I'm very experienced with C and in general SDKs..) so I have to take more time to read in. But I will look - WMs are not possible afaik.

Ideas are good, I must read in how to make a config, then I'll update.

Edit: The delay problem will relate to this: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=49951 - ideas?
    Edit2: Now updated to 1.2 - see more information in first post.

Chris
    Last edited by rossmann; January 18th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

nice plugin my m8 keep it on

Wow, nice, good work!!
    Thank you!!

But that would not work over the command line?
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....mandline_Guide

With the hotkeys is it not so good for me because I use the buttons for other things in Foobar

(sry for my bad english)

Edit: I have a big problem... I cant see the Plugin in the Plugin list?!
    http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/lei4y7e/ts.jpg
    On Win7 64bit with Teamspeak 3.0.0 Beta11 64bit
    Last edited by jo0man; January 18th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.

I disagree with PeterS.
    IMO volume should be also lowered when you speak.
    That's because when you listen to music and don't have/use headphones others can hear what you're listening to and it's quite annoying for them (I've been on both sides, so I know the problem ^^).

I thought about several solutions:
    1. Create additional keys to mute music when anybody (including yourself), e.g. CTRL+ALT+NUM2, while keeping CTRL+ALT+NUM1 and ...+NUM3.
    2. Create a checkbox or something like that to control whether music is muted when you speak.
    3. Create additional plugin for download with only this thing changed.

I have absolutely no experience in creating such plugins, so I don't know which of my propositions are easiest or if doable.

Anyways, the plugin is wonderful, but I don't think I'll be updating it if it doesn't mute music when I speak.

BTW, this plugin doesn't work with League of Legends open (I think LoL does something with CTRL+ALT, because using hotkeys manually doesn't do anything).

Hi.
    @ jooman: I don't have any 64bit Windows, so I can't compile for it :X Any ideas?
    @ WoytaZ: tomorrow I'll read into the configuration system so that you cen set those options. I'll must have a look into a plugin I've found today which emulates WinAMP for foobar2000 so that I can easily send WMs to get away from the hotkey workaround.

Thanks for critisism!

Chris

yeah as above same windows7 64bit dont see the plugin. if you like tell me how to compile i will for you

Thanks for the quick update and implementing the suggestions.

Regarding lowering volume when you speak: Suppose an option would be best, then everyone can decide for himself if it's wanted or not.

Regarding 64 bit: Visual Studio includes a 64 bit cross-compiler, so you can compile 64 bit binaries on a 32 bit system. However, I don't know which edition of Visual Studio includes or lacks this feature.

Updated Plugin API from 2 to 3, now compatible with Beta 12.

Chris

Question: Is there a way you can set in a timer before turning the vol back up? What im getting at is if people key in a few times before talking. It turns the vol back up when there talking. Like set it on a 5secs timer before upping the vol. and during that 5secs after people talk to check to see if people are talking if so to reset the timer back to 5. Also a 64bit version so i wont have to run the 32bit client

Updated foolower to version 1.4, now with configuration system (use /foolower help for more information).
    64bit Version is in work.

Chris

Awesome! Works great!

EDIT: would it be possible to customise hotkeys more? So I can define for muting, e.g. CTRL+NUM1?

It is, but it is a lot more complicated for me. Where is the problem to use CTRL + ALT + NUM1? Are this too much keys? If yes, you could use ALT GR instead of CTRL + ALT (is the same).

Chris

Thread Information