Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Channel Linking

I still have a question about permissions of linked channels.. Say needed talk power. Example: Channel A has 0 and channel B has 30. When linked would the needed talk power of both be 0, 30 or as they were before?

What about what about channel group permissions of a user, would they extend to the linked channels. If user in Channel B is Channel Admin there but in Channel A is a guest can [s]he grant talk power to a user in Channel A? What about kicking a user in Channel A if they are not acting appropriately?

I would personally say that if a user could speak in their own channel, it will continue to work as intended without any further checks. Besides further complexities being more difficult to program, I imagine you'd also end up with situations where users would only be heard in one channel, which would get confusing and frustrating. Besides, a user's ability to talk seems to stem from whether or not they meet the requirement for the channel they are in. Calculating it beyond that could be a nightmare. I'd say that there should only be a check for the ability to link channels, and no further checking than TS already does beyond that.

I have the same policy for the second question. They are channel admin of their channel, it wouldn't extend beyond that just because of a link. Chances are, anyone you'd give link permissions to would be able to handle any talk power grants necessary -- that's not a power I'd hand out lightly.
    Last edited by Mopquill; September 11th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo

Would all linked channels automatically be subscribed when joining any member of the link regardless of user's subscribe related permissions? Should they be allowed to unsubscribe a channel linked to their current channel?

I would say so for the first question, and no for the second. Subscriptions for that channel should be handled the same way as the channel they are actually in. This is mostly just a voice information feature. My users just want to be able to do what they did on mumble: two groups of people need to talk, a staff members links the channels, we talk, they unlink. No one needs to move, no temp channels need to be recreated, etc. It's also really useful for games where we get separated into multiple channels for teams, but like to quickly talk to everyone between matches.

This seems like a useful feature that I would like to have. So I shall post my support for your suggestion.

Thanks for the support!

This is a great suggestion and I am happy it is on the todo list. As for any complexity, the advanced permissions are already over people's head without proper guidance/tutorials yet the advanced permission is the crowning achievement of TeamSpeak 3 in my opinion. I could not do a fraction of what I have done if I had not had access to the advanced permissions system. I think channel linking will be a welcome addition to the features of TeamSpeak 3 and will see a lot of use by larger groups of people who discuss things as well as large clans who participate in clanwars and tournaments to easily be able to take part and end participation without having to go messing around re-organizing everyone into different channels.

Fantastic!

Edit:

I hope it can be assigned via channel group so that I can give it out as a feature to my community server. However if giving it via any means always makes it be a server-wide effect then obviously I wouldn't be able to make it available to other people.
    Last edited by Morthawt; September 27th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Channel linking (like Mumble)

In Mumble, server admins can link channels together so that members of separate channels can speak to each other.

For example, say a server has this arrangement of channels and sub-channels:

• Lobby
      • Deathmatch
      • Ready to play any maps
      • Ready to play de_dust2
      • Not playing

In Mumble, an admin can link all of the channels within 'Lobby'. Once linked, all players in 'Lobby' or any of the sub-channels within 'Lobby' can communicate with each other.

Here's a random image of the feature from Google (in this example, users in the 'Bravo Squad', 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' channels would be able to talk to each other regardless of which channel they were in):

Name:  mumble-link.png
Views: 416
Size:  17.8 KB

Is this not possible in Teamspeak 3? I found a forum post from 3 years ago (here) asking for the feature, and it was apparently placed on some sort of to-do list or ticket. Is this feature still not available? Is implementation of a feature like this planned?

It's possible something else would accomplish the same goal -- we just want our users to be able to sort themselves into different categories without losing the ability to talk to each other. If there is some way to create categories within a channel, that would also suffice, but I haven't found any feature or plugin that would allow it.

I'm aware of whisper lists, but those aren't really a solution here. We'll have a couple hundred users trying to use these channels, and it would be pretty much impossible to get them all to set up a proper whisper list.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Last edited by dante696; May 4th, 2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: merged

Hm, how about creating a couple of channel groups and giving the users the permission to self-assign those instead of using subchannels?

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    Hm, how about creating a couple of channel groups and giving the users the permission to self-assign those instead of using subchannels?
    THANK YOU! That is a great, expandable, channel commander with so much potential! I wasn't aware i could whisper list to channel groups. It's a simple solution to the problem, albeit not as simple as a "link" in the way Fatbird3 asked for it.

It might be a little simpler to do it with server groups. That way if you want to speak to someone in a specific "GROUP" like, Alpha Squad, even though they are in another channel, they can still hear what you're telling them. (if that's a functionality you'd want)

Depends, I opted for channel groups since (you might wanna verify that, it's been a while) you only can have one at a time, I don't think that behaviour can be replicated with server groups (that's once again sth. I haven't looked into so might be wrong) - hence users would have to unassign a, assign b.
    That extra step might be thumbs down on the comfort front.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    That's a pretty good idea, and I think we'll probably go with that if we have to.

One problem is that it's a little less intuitive, as users can't just see the separate groups upon joining. We're sorting a lot of people, so the less admin involvement or instruction there is, the better. That said, we usually have to tell people to join the correct sub-channels anyway, so this wouldn't increase our workload that much.

Another problem is that it involves creating and maintaining groups. Not a huge deal, but certainly more overhead than a linking feature would entail.

The third issue is that this only covers one use case for channel linking. There are many use cases beyond things like lobby sorting.

Here's another example:

• Game 12
      • Team A
      • Team B

If the server running Game 12 has a problem, a player flags down an admin. The admin then joins the 'Game 12' channel and links all the channels together. That way, the admin can address all the players in the server and communicate with them to fix the problem.

This one is a little closer to being solved by a whisper list, but the problem there is that the admin can't hear the responses from the players. Currently, if a game isn't starting and we join the channel and run the command to fix it, we can then ask the players if it's fixed and they'll tell us yes or no. With a whisper to all sub-channels, we can't hear that response.

We're finding workarounds here, though -- I'm hoping someone from Teamspeak can chime in on the status of the channel linking feature. It was apparently on the to-do list two years ago, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside. It's really the one thing keeping us on Mumble over Teamspeak.

If you are unable to evaluate it, perhaps you can admit it.

Edit: Fatbird3 no, not you.
    Last edited by Tomas; May 9th, 2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    If you are unable to evaluate it, perhaps you can admit it.
    Are you referring to me or to Teamspeak staff?

I would love this also for my server i have to have open 10+ teamspeaks with hotkeys to talk to different channels at a time if a porblem is happing

Thread Information