Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Channel Linking

Is there any update on this evaluations, Many alliances in eve are currently choosing mumble over TS3 for this one feature currently.

Why hasn't this been implemented yet!

Well... in my personal opinion (I am not a client/server developer), there's no real need for channel linking as TeamSpeak 3 already has several features to provide thind kind of functionality (e.g. whisper lists, channel commander, multiple server tabs). Also, I don't get the purpose of simple chanel linking... why not simply move all clients into the same channel?

Anyway... There's still an internal ticket for implementation and maybe it will be done at some point, but we don't consider this a highly requested feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Well... in my personal opinion (I am not a client/server developer), there's no real need for channel linking as TeamSpeak 3 already has several features to provide thind kind of functionality (e.g. whisper lists, channel commander, multiple server tabs). Also, I don't get the purpose of simple chanel linking... why not simply move all clients into the same channel?

Anyway... There's still an internal ticket for implementation and maybe it will be done at some point, but we don't consider this a highly requested feature.
    In eve its used to separate groups of people in a fleet. A typical setup is a command channel where you have the person giving most commands which is linked to a main fleet channel, logistics channel and a no-chatter channel. This way the logistics people can talk back and forth about who needs help without all the chatter of the main fleet but can still hear commands, the commanders can choose whether or not to hear the main fleet or other channels, the main fleet can talk amongst themselves without bothering the commanders or logistics, and people can join the no-chatter if they want to just list to fleet commands without the chatter at all.

I have been able to somewhere implement this using whisper list for channel family however its slightly more complicated to setup and if someone in the fleet or logistics channel want to talk to someone in fleet command they must setup a whisper just to that channel. It basically allows finer grain control than you can get with whisper list and doesn't require special whispers to specific channels. The other problem I have had with whisper list is people getting the pop-up window and blocking whispers so that they don't get the window even though there is a better way to disable the window.

Problem with Whisper Lists

I like how mumble allows the server owner to setup linking of channels.

The problem with Whisper lists is "teaching" people how to use them. As a server owner, I don't want to spend all day teaching each person how to use the 'complicated' whisper lists. As Developers of TeamSpeak, I am sure you probably do not understand what is complicated because programming is so easy to you. I'm just a average joe whom plays games with my clan, and I don't expect you to completely understand how complicated TeamSpeak is to setup...let alone a new person to TeamSpeak.

For each new member of my clan, I would be required by your standards to teach them how to use whisper lists. That is asking too much of me. You want to charge us for more slots, yet you don't want to do this request that several others have asked? I guess they have not told you what I am now telling you in detail.

If I could set this up in TeamSpeak just once. It would be set it and forget it, instead of training people. Imagine your paying customers having to train people to use your software. That is actually costing them time, which is costing them more money. Please make TeamSpeak easier for channel linking, so I don't have to waste my time and resources into training people to use that channel commander feature.

I would like it to be like this:

Channels

Bridge Commander
    Squad 1
    Squad 2
    Squad 3...
    Squad Group 1
    Squad Group 2
    Squad Group 3

Channel Linking Setup:

Bridge Commander -> <- Squad 1,Squad 2,Squad 3
    Squad 1 -> <-Squad Group 1
    Squad 2 -> <-Squad Group 2
    Squad 3 -> <-Squad Group 3

The Bridge Commander can talk and hear the Squad Leaders, The Squad Leader can talk and hear both the Bridge Commander and the Squad Group, The Squad Group can talk and hear the Squad Leader.

Another format I thought about:

Channel Linking Setup:

Bridge Commander -> Squad 1,Squad 2,Squad 3
    Squad 1 -> <-Squad Group 1
    Squad 2 -> <-Squad Group 2
    Squad 3 -> <-Squad Group 3

The Bridge Commander can talk to Squad Leaders, The Squad Leader can talk and hear both the Bridge Commander and the Squad Group, The Squad Group can talk and hear the Squad Leader.

What this does it keeps it simple, and also makes it where a server owner does not have to train someone to use a feature that is complicated to use. It also makes the setup automatic after setting it up, and requires no other person's need for interaction. Just join a channel and go, instead of waiting to tell someone how to use channel commander... time is money, and in some gaming communities like mine, that means a lot.

After our clan gets > 30 people, I plan to buy a license on a yearly basis or if you implement this feature. Which ever is first.

But if this can't be done by TeamSpeak, we will switch to mumble where it will not be a headache on me. I love many other features on TeamSpeak and is reason I choose it first, but all of them isn't worth my time if this can't be done and I would be willing to drop TeamSpeak for mumble just to avoid a new headache.

Hell, I work 60 hours a week already... I don't have time to train people to use TeamSpeak.

Thread Information