Forum

Automatic Channel Collapsing

On my server, we have quite a few channels (~75) pertaining to different subjects and games (we're primarily a gaming server). Many of these channels have instructions on how to join in on the fun- where to buy/download a game, how to set it up, how to join us, gameserver information regarding URIs/ports, etc. as well as mods we might be using. Because of this, it's not feasible for us to switch to a smaller scale with only a handful of channels, relying primarily on temporary channels. Manually subscribing and collapsing channels doesn't really give us a good idea of where people are, and this resets upon client restart.

My suggestion is that there be an option to only expand channels with users in them on some level, and collapse all other channels. This greatly shortens the list of users/channels, and allows you to quickly see far more of the people that are online, and what they're doing. You could, of course, expand any channel and navigate to it to move to a channel that is collapsed; this has no disadvantages beyond normal collapsing, and it would, of course, be an option- so users that dislike this wouldn't be subjected to its effects. Whether this would be done by simple collapsing, or subscriptions, I wouldn't know; I'm under the impression that TeamSpeak couldn't know which channels to collapse if not subscribed to all of them, since it wouldn't know that any unsubscribed channels had users in them.

Anyhow, this is something my users are constantly asking for, and I think it'd make a great addition to TeamSpeak; this has to be one of the most often-repeated requests that I've seen on the 'net as far as TeamSpeak goes. Thanks for reading!

that exactly what i need and have been asked for but so far even going back 2 years ive read from others there has either been no reply or no fix

Quote Originally Posted by matskiuk View Post
    that exactly what i need and have been asked for but so far even going back 2 years ive read from others there has either been no reply or no fix
    double post?
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Any news on this? My members would still love it to have an option to automatically collapse channels no one is in, rather than having to collapse them all manually.

I started a similar discussion some years ago, which is obviously in the wrong forum.....
    Here's the original thread link
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...els-when-empty

I have quoted 2 posts from that thread (Which can be closed down now, as I have pointed to this thread, which is more suitably located

POST 1

What I would like to do is
    a) When a client is NOT in a channel family and there are empty subchannels in that channel family then automatically collapse / hide them to declutter the channel listing.
    b) Either
    ..... b1) When a client then enters either the parent channel or a populated subchannel, the empty subchannels are then expanded / displayed
    ..... b2) Possibly even better, empty subchannels are only displayed when you are in the channel level above them

The overall intention is to declutter the channel listing.
    The problem I am seeing, on our particular server is a long list of channels /subchannels that I have to scroll down (Just as you have too in the code window below) if I want to see who is in the channels listed at the bottom.
    These are not channels with access restrictions, so they are open to anyone who joins the server to move into

For example, we play a military sim, where the individual teams/groups are split into sides\platoons\squads\fireteams. This means our subchannel tree just for this one game looks something like this, only doubled in size for the two sides (BLUFOR and OPFOR). Then add to this other games and other miscelleaneous channels, you can quickly see just how long a channel listing would be
    Code:
    BLUFOR
    ..... 1st PLT
    ..... HQ 
    ..... ALPHA
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 1
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 2
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 3
    ..........ALPHA VEHICLE CREW
    ..... BRAVO
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 1
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 2
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 3
    ..........BRAVO VEHICLE CREW
    ..... CHARLIE
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 1
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 2
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 3
    ..........CHARLIE VEHICLE CREW
    ..... DELTA
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 1
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 2
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 3
    ..........DELTA VEHICLE CREW

OPFOR
    ..... 1st PLT
    ..... HQ 
    ..... ALPHA
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 1
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 2
    ..........ALPHA FIRETEAM 3
    ..........ALPHA VEHICLE CREW
    ..... BRAVO
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 1
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 2
    ..........BRAVO FIRETEAM 3
    ..........BRAVO VEHICLE CREW
    ..... CHARLIE
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 1
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 2
    ..........CHARLIE FIRETEAM 3
    ..........CHARLIE VEHICLE CREW
    ..... DELTA
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 1
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 2
    ..........DELTA FIRETEAM 3
    ..........DELTA VEHICLE CREW
    If this is possible how do I achieve it ?
    If it is not possible at the moment, could it be considered for implementation ?

Thanks in advance for any replies given

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST 2

I'm with you on that. This would still be very helpful

Automatic "Collapse" / Expansion of subchannels in the following circumstances

Clientside option: By default Hide unused subchannels by collapsing the subchannels and only display the parent channel, if all subchannels are empty. (Settings option to toggle this feature On or Off)

Client can manually expand subchannels by selecting a parent channel Expand icon "X"

How feature works automatically
    • If you have the automatic collapse/expand options toggled on all the empty subchannels are hidden from view.
    • When somebody joins that channel, only the populated subchannel and the parent channel are visible visible
    • (The expand "X" icon changes colour or some other visible representation to define there are hidden subchannels still available)
    • When the sub channel empties, it automatically becomes hidden and if there are no subchannels in use the "X" expansion box changes to its default icon/colour
    • Clients can expand/hide all the subchannels in a parent channel by clicking on the expansion "X" icon at any time
      There could be a drop down list box at this point giving the following options if they arent the current option selected
      (E.g only 3 of the 4 will be displayed)
      1. Hide all unpopulated subchannels
      2. Hide all Subchannels
      3. Show populated subchannels only
      4. Show all subchannels in parent family

(This could also be utilised as a nested system, so this is available for each sub family parent and it's children)

I just want it to function as Mumble does -- expand when any children are a user, otherwise, collapse upward as high as you can without collapsing the server. And it's important to mention that I do mean collapse, and not unsubscribe.

I really like Terox's Ideas!

Its been many years since anything was done to fix this collapse problem. I think its overdue that the DEVs try to tackle this highly requested feature

Quote Originally Posted by oveur View Post
    I really like Terox's Ideas!

Its been many years since anything was done to fix this collapse problem. I think its overdue that the DEVs try to tackle this highly requested feature
    Terox's ideas are the same as mine, and the same as has been in Mumble for years. However, I think he's using a manner *way* too complicated to explain them. I know exactly what we want out of this feature, and I still think his quoted posts are cumbersome, which could turn the devs away from this feature. So, here're the key points of what such a client option should (in my opinion) provide:

• If there are users in a channel, the channel they are in, as well as any parent channels, should be expanded.
    • Any channels sibling to a user should be visible, but not expanded.
    • Channels with no users in them should be collapsed as many levels up as possible without hiding any users.
    • The root channel (the name of your server) should never collapse.
    • Channels should still be able to be collapsed/expanded manually, as they can be now.

For those who want to visualize this, I'd suggest downloading Mumble and checking out the way it does channel collapsing. One of the primary benefits of all this to me is, you can separate many channels into categories, meaning that only categories that have users in them will be expanded, meaning you can have more channels in less space, and without turning your server into a crazy-long, unmanageable list of channels, but also without having so few channels that your users get upset.

anny updates to do this?

I close this Thread and this one, because this feature request is already in our ticket system and these threads are not needed for the same topic.

this is the main thread for this topic
    Last edited by dante696; November 30th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thread Information