Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Client 3.0.6 - Could not open file transfer connection

Hi

Some people in my server started reporting that after some client update they couldn't use file transfers anymore. This happens with both download and upload, stays at 0% and gives the error "Could not open file transfer connection".

I debugged everything that came to my mind:
    - Reconfigured port forwarding for 30033 TCP, and then to some other port (to debug possible ISP block)
    - Netstat shows as listening on those ports, and can telnet from outside to the FT port
    - Firewall software disabled
    - Updated server version to 3.0.5-pre, and then to 3.0.5 (23-04-2012 05:46:12) @ linux amd64

Then i changed the min client version to a lower value and a friend of mine connected from the outside with the client 3.0.0 (12369), and he managed to use file transfers.
    Weird thing is that i can use file transfers while connected in the same LAN as the server, even with the same client version as everyone else "3.0.6 (20-04-2012 10:14:18)". All the clients are windows (both x86 and x64)

So, not sure which build of 3.0.6 started causing the issue, but is under 3.0.6 branch and started like 1 and a half week ago.

Regards,
    Jonybat

I can't reprocude this problem, but
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonybat View Post
    Weird thing is that i can use file transfers while connected in the same LAN as the server
    You as a Lan user, don't need to have any port opened for your server.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

I know.

It is not a problem with port forwarding, Ports are open and always were, and like i said, it works if any user outside the lan downgrades the client, to 3.0.5 for example.

People started complaining that they couldnt see the icons or using file transfers all of the sudden, and i know that i didnt change anything in the server at that time. I realized then that 3.0.6 was released in stable channel, thats why everyone started having issues at the same time (didnt noticed about release cause im on beta channel)

If any of you want to try it on my server, PM me for server info. Im online there after 6PM GMT0 everyday.

You could send me that invite, and maybe you add a privilege key for a group, that is allowed to upload and downlaod files into a channel.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

With server version 3.0.5 and client 3.0.6, the bahaviour of file transfer connections has changed. In previous versions, the client always tried to establish a file transfer connection using the IP address of the voice server it was connected to. This was a problem since binding the file transfer interface to another IP address did break file transfer functionality.

The new client 3.0.6 tries to establish a connection to the IP address set in your servers configuration file (ts3server.ini) as filetransfer_ip. I assume that you've entered your internal IP in there... In a NAT environment, it's not necessary to set any value for voice_ip, filetransfer_ip and query_ip.

Simply remove the value for filetransfer_ip, restart your TS3 server and you should be fine.

could not open file transfer connection

Hello, my server is running without problems for about two years, the firewall settings have not changed, the problem started after the server upgrade to version 3.0.5. (I used Win x32 version)
    Can not upload avatars and icons of channels.
    File browser in the works for half of the channels, it can load the file but if you try to remove it would be a error.
    All avatars and icons are in the folder of the server but it does not give them to get there.
    Please express your thoughts on this.

thread has been merged
    Last edited by dante696; May 8th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

What is the error message ?

Note
    Read this post: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...396#post314396

thread has been merged
    Last edited by dante696; May 8th, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Note

- NTFS Permissions could be interfering
    - Files are read only
    - Files are corrupted
    - Portforwarding for 33033 TCP is missing / not correctly setup.
    - Firewall is blocking TCP 33033

If all does not help:
    stop the server, delete the files Folder from the Server directory (or rename it to something else), then start the Server again, reupload the Icons and assign them to the groups and channels again.

thread has been merged

Thank you for the reply.

Just added the entry "filetransfer_ip=0.0.0.0" to the server ini file and worked.

I had no "filetransfer_ip" entry and without the "0.0.0.0" or anything else it throws an "converting bind() IP failed"

Next time, it would be nice if the ini file gets updated with the new parameters automatically and/or there is an entry in the server changelog about it.

Anyways, its fixed...thank you

Thank you all for your advice, so this post has helped from ScP
    thx to Jordi.
    I deleted from configuration file (ts3server.ini)
    filetransfer_ip
    voice_ip
    query_ip
    is excellent and everything worked.

in my case there was a local ip address is registered, and the server sends requests to itself.

thread has been merged

This is a default entry that ini, when it was created by the server.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    With server version 3.0.5 and client 3.0.6, the bahaviour of file transfer connections has changed. In previous versions, the client always tried to establish a file transfer connection using the IP address of the voice server it was connected to. This was a problem since binding the file transfer interface to another IP address did break file transfer functionality.

The new client 3.0.6 tries to establish a connection to the IP address set in your servers configuration file (ts3server.ini) as filetransfer_ip. I assume that you've entered your internal IP in there... In a NAT environment, it's not necessary to set any value for voice_ip, filetransfer_ip and query_ip.

Simply remove the value for filetransfer_ip, restart your TS3 server and you should be fine.

Although i understand the principles behind this change, i think the implementation is not done right. The IP addresses specified in the server .ini file should indicate on which IP addresses the server function should bind on the local machine, not on which interface the clients should connect to reach the server! These are two entirely different things, yet the are (in the current situation) both specified by one parameter (the IP addresses in the .ini file).

My situation: A (virtual) linux box with 2 network interfaces behind a NAT (router). On the linux box, the two network interfaces are separated by two different routing tables. Traffic originating from IP address A is handled by routing table 1 and traffic originating from IP address B is handled by routing table 2. With the previous suggested solution (filetransferip=0.0.0.0) the "service" no longer binds to an IP on the local machine, thus breaking more advanced routing setups because the the IP traffic from the file transfer part of teamspeak has no IP addres specified (0.0.0.0).

To accomplish the desired behavior, an extra .ini parameter should be added (external file transfer ip?) to indicate to which ip clients should connect to reach the filetransfer server. (blank for pre 3.0.5/3.0.6 behavior?)

Thread Information