Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Server Migrate Help Needed Head Will Soon Explode!!!

This is my first post here so I just gotta say... I love TS3, you devs rock! Now lets get down to business...

Since June 2011 I have been running TS3 server on my homeline. Update client and server files as they come out and never had an issue. Recently I got a new gaming rig and decided to switch the TS3 server to my old gaming rig which runs same OS on the same network but has better hardware than my server.

I stopped the server on current machine. Added all server files to a rar file and transferred them to new machine. I extracted the files to same directory on new machine and set exceptions in my firewall for the program as well as UDP 9987 and TCP 10011/30033. Logged onto router config and switched the LAN IP from old machine to new machine since the ports were already forwarded. Then I started up the server on the new machine and logged on using localhost as address. All my settings and perms were transferred and I was happy, then disaster struck! When I attempted to connect via my dns (dyndns with ip updater program) it wouldnt work. So of course the first thing I did was do a reverse lookup to make sure my DNS was working and sure enough my DNS resolved perfectly to my IP. Thinking that maybe my ISP was having issues with DNS resolution again I attempted to connect to the server using my direct IP which was double checked via my router settings and http://www.whatismyip.com and I still couldnt connect. At this time I started to get frustrated and double checked my settings in firewall, antivirus, and router. Still had no luck connecting using anything but localhost, so I began searching these forums and did so for 2 days. Almost every post I came across all said to do exactly what I had done, except for a couple that gave me slightly diff ideas. First I extracted a fresh copy of TS3 server and copied my files into it like they said to do here but that ended up giving me an error where it was looking for "update_20.sql" which didnt exist in any of the old files or the ones I downloaded, and the server just wouldnt even start. Then I thought I would try what they said here, I extracted a fresh install into a folder with my existing server, it worked kind of like an update and I was able to connect via localhost with all perms and settings intact, but I still couldnt connect with IP or DNS. So in a last ditch effort I figured I would just install a fresh copy of the TS3 server without any of my existing files, it installed fine and I was able to login via localhost but again not with DNS or IP. At this point I am fuming mad, I have tried everything I can think of, made sure the new machine is setup exactly like the old one, followed advice from the pros here, and still nothing will allow my server to run on this other machine. While all this was going on I was removing some programs on the old machine and performing some updates on it so that I could give it to the wife and kids, and it needed to be rebooted. Now I reach the boiling point! The old machine reboots and I notice I forgot to tell the TS3 server not to boot with windows (didnt remove it incase I deleted files on other PC accidently) and its running perfectly fine with DNS and everything despite my router having the ports all forwarded to the new machine! So currently I am loading a few magazines and about to use some of my United States Marine Corps training to go Charles Whitman on my unsuspecting city. Please for the sake of innocent lives read this entire thread and see what I could do to get this server migrated to the new machine!

Since I hadnt mentioned it before here is info on the hardware involved...

Old Rig:
    Athlon XP T-bred 2700+ 2.167ghz
    1gb DDR 333mhz
    120gb ATA100
    ATI Radeon 9200 AIW 128mb DDR
    AV: Microsoft Security Essentials

New Rig:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz
    1gb DDR 400mhz
    250gb ATA100
    ATI X1550 512mb DDR2
    AV: Microsoft Security Essentials

Router: LG-Nortel LNWR300N
    Firewall: Router (Hardware) Windows (Software)

PLEASE HELP!

So if you are on the new gaming rig does the connection work when you use the new server's (old gaming rig) LAN IP? localhost/127.0.0.1 is not the LAN IP. If not, windows software firewall issue or server is not running.

Sometimes using an external address to reach a LAN server is a problem with some routers. Have you had a friend off your network try?

I have been doing this almost a year now, so Im pretty sure I can tell if the server is running. Since Ive gotten this far on my own wouldnt it be safe to say I know the difference between internal and external IPs? I also disabled windows firewall and still cant do anything. I also tried to use PFPortChecker but for some reason it locks up at half way and wont finish installing.

I didn't ask if you know the difference. I asked if you tried connecting from the new gaming rig using the LAN IP of the server.

I got it working but still unable to explain how. The old server was on 192.168.2.101 and worked, the new server was on 192.168.2.100 but didnt work. After switching the cables between the 2 (I dont know why I thought this would work) I got an off the wall idea. The server was still able to to run on 192.168.2.101 despite the forwarding being set for 192.168.2.100, so I left the forwarding in place, instead I went into the DHCP Reservation settings and reversed which server had which LAN IP. Now the server is running on the new rig using 192.168.2.101, and I cant connect to server on the old rig using 192.168.2.100. There is no DMZ set (rather not leave a rig exposed like that), UDP 9987 and TCP 10011/30033 are still forwarded to 192.168.2.100, but the server is now running on the new rig at 192.168.2.101. Maybe someone can shed some light on this so it can be averted in the future by me or others?

When things when a network are not working right I power down the whole network and turn on the modem, router, hubs/switches starting closest to router and working away, server and than one of the workstations to test with. I've found some switches that remember what pysical port was used for a packet for an IP so that follow up packets for it can be sent to that port with less delay. Problems can happen if you change the IPs of the computers sometime. I still don't understand your setup, just too hard to read it the way you wrote it mixing "it was this way stuff" in. But, if its working good.

Thread Information