Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Server permission accident

Hello we run game servers and we banned a members for certain reasons and now we are having are teamspeak hacked . He comes in with his own name so we know its him . He has no admin rights and does not know the password to join but he managed to get in and delete channels and ban other members from ts . How is this possible and is there any way to stop it .?

Thanks

NO hack, just permissions he got from someone.
    Check his Client Permissions and you'll likely find something.

Look at the log here .. Way 2 stoned has no admin but can grant him self it and do all kids of stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

He was not on server admin but he can go from guest to being serveradmin ? what am i looking for . Ive removed him from server admin but he will be able to grant him self but how.

He may have client permissions, in which case you'd need his unique ID or client database ID to remove those permissions from him.

ive reinstalled ts from scracth as its far to much for me to go through as he could of changed anything and would take me all day to go through ..
    So from scratch what am i best of doing so this does not happen again ?

Thank you .

Don't screw up your Permissions again, have a proper, secure Permission Setup and most importantly don't give anything to people you don't trust.

As I stated in my first Post and as Sheepy also stated: He either was given Client Permissions by someone else or was given Admin and through that had the ability to grant himself Client permissions, which in turn allowed him to do what he did. In any case since you started from scratch there is no way to find out anymore (unless you still have a backup).

No i dont have a back up . Will the standard permissions be secure or should i change anything ?

By default the permissions are good.
    Would guess, according to your log, that "i_group_needed_member_add_power" and "i_group_needed_member_remove_power" wasnt set or not properly set on your channelgroups/servergroups, those allowing an user to get permissions he wants.

ok well i will leave it all standard as i dont know fully what ive done .
    Thanks for your help

Make sure your "other" admin's cannot assign client permissions so they are not accessible. If you force people to use server groups, you can more easily manage your permissions, in my opinion. I have client permissions added to my own account as I own the server so that I have a safety net. But be very careful with client permissions, it can be troublesome if people get "special" abilities you are not aware of.

Thread Information