Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow [SUGGESTION] log-refresh-command

The logs from my server fill up very quickly and unfortunately you can restart the logs only by restarting the instance or a virtual server.

My Idea is to insert a query-command like "logrefresh sid=1" or somethin' like that to create new logfiles.
    Maybe with an autoclear-function after a given time

Gr33tz from Germany

X-Ray

Thumbs up

Great idea...
    Maybe i could create every month a new one.
    The logname can called ts3server_0_monthname for an example...
    And it can be equal with the "executing monthly interval" and "reset virtualserver traffic statistics"

Quote Originally Posted by X-Ray View Post
    The logs from my server fill up very quickly and unfortunately you can restart the logs only by restarting the instance or a virtual server.

My Idea is to insert a query-command like "logrefresh sid=1" or somethin' like that to create new logfiles.
    Maybe with an autoclear-function after a given time

Gr33tz from Germany

X-Ray
    so what is the problem with that "big log" files ? hd space ?

• Easier to search through smaller files
    • Easier to find stuff if you happen to know when something must've happened.
    • Easier to manage
    • Easier to get rid of old logs you most likely will not need any more (if HD Space becomes an Issue or you just don't want log files cluttering your disk)

not just only the hd space. also if i search, i have to download the full file and can't search in smaller files.
    I'm agree width SilentStorm

+1 ... we need a log rotate ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicocaps View Post
    +1 ... we need a log rotate ...
    Hope TeamSpeak Dev agree them ;D

+1 It is really neccessary. Or at least teamspeak should create new log files if you delete them while the ts server is running. Then it would be possible to use logrotate daemon on linux

The log settings can't be made for one virtual server only. Logrefresh won't be added, but
    I have created another suggestion and i i guess this will help here too.

The feature should be a query command, to force the server isntance, to change the logging mode or to create a new logfile, when logapend is set to 0 (this is the default value)

"instanceedit logapend=x
    " and 0 starts a new log file for all virtual server with the current date and 1 starts a new log file called "ts3server_0.log", "ts3server_1.log" and so on or it does use the old logfile instead, when tha tfile still exists.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Why can't the server itself start a new log dependent on the actual file size/date?

So please, don't start new log file on user request - give us an optionflag (and a var to set the filesize ) to tell the server to start new logs (no matter of one server or the whole ts instance).

It's fine if it is for the whole instance and not per VirtualServer... don't think that would make much sense anyway.

Logs are not used by those using the Virtualserver anyway or at least they don't have access to the Logfiles themselves. All they can do (if even) is view the Serverlog from within the Client which requests the logs from the Server. The Server can be made to read from the previous logfile if the Client requests logs from before the current Logfile started, or it could just throw an Error if you don't feel like getting the previous logfile and read from that one.

A Query Command to force the Server to create a new set of logfiles as you wrote above is a nice thing to have, but only as an addition to autorotate.

What should really be done is to add additional parameters to the server: logrefresh=0 and logmaxsize=0 (examples). If both are set to 0 (which can be the default) autorotation is disabled and the server behaves as it does now. logrefresh would be the time in hours after which the server would start a new set of logfiles and logmaxsize would be the maximum Filesize (in Kilobytes) after which the Server would also create a new set of logfiles. Both Parameters should be checked on a whatever comes first basis, so if the Log reaches max size after 2 hours a new logfile would be created.
    I can see the logmaxsize one to be a problem if you just have one variable for the Filename of the log and just append the ServerId, but the size of the logfiles shouldn't be much of a problem anyway if the server rotates Logfiles every x hours.

As said above a logrefresh command won't be added.
    Sorry but i won't touch my request.

I don't think this should be done automatically (per filesize or per hours).
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Have you ever searched a specific item in a large logfile when something goes wrong?

Yes i did many times on our public server as an example.

Ah ok, it was just a question.

Thread Information