Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solved Banning not working

Hello all.

I want to ban a trouble maker from our TS3 server. So, when he logged in, I right-clicked on his name and Clicked "Ban Client".

But he was able to come back again and again (9 times) without a problem.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I am doing wrong...????

Thanx in advance.

--d.

Your ban is working unless they are in a server group or your guest group has ignore bans. Often there are troublemakers who go through the effort to work around the ban system.

Only options to stop/slow these trouble makers are to password the server or up the security level enough to slow him/her down.

Thanx for the response.

So, are you saying that the "Ban Client" option does not work at all. Why would that be an option if it does not really work...??

Best,

--d.

It works, but there are ways around it. Its like a lock on a house, it only keeps honest people honest, if someone really wants in they will get in someway.

Weirdly enough, this person is computer-illiterate. But he just clicked connect and he was connected to our server even though I banned him many time. Sounds like to me something is amiss in the core program.

Also, you mentioned: "up the security level enough to slow him/her down".

What exactly are you referring to??

How can I do that for the Guest group..???

Thanx again,

--d.

Security level is in the main server settings. Right click on server name and click manage virtual server.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Screech View Post
    Your ban is working unless they are in a server group or your guest group has ignore bans.
    Can you please tell me where I can check to see if the GUEST group has ignore bans or not....???

Thanx much.

--d.

Hi,

two things you can do:

(1) Check the ban in the ban list, and compare with the IP/Identity of the guy that just "came back" after being banned. When you ban a client two properties are individually banned: The Clients IP Address (that you can also see if you open the connection info on a currently connected client) and the Clients Unqiue ID (which you can see by adding him has friend/foe, he will be marked green or red when using the same identity again). To circumvent a ban you would need to change both these properties.
    (2) Check for the ignore bans permission: When the user is online, right click him and go permissions -> permissions overview. Filter for "ignore", search for the b_client_ignore_bans permission. If it is present, check it's value in the bottom "All" section. If it is set to 1, this guy can ignore bans.

Thanx for the explanation Peter.

So, how can I set the property of the GUEST group so that they CANNOT ignore bans....???

Thanx much.

--d.

Permissions -> Server Group -> Select Guest (or whatever group is written in bold) -> type ignore in the filter -> make sure ignore bans is not set or unchecked.

If that doesn't work or you can't locate the Stuff:

Find someone on your Server that is in the Guest Group and right click -> Permission Overview -> type ignore in the filter -> make sure that ignore bans is NOT listed in the server groups -> Guest Section.

I have checked all the settings that Peter and SilentStorm mentioned above. They are all set correctly and the GUEST-group does not the permission to ignore bans.

So, I am still at a loss how this one person who was just banned and who is very computer-illiterate, could just hit the Connect button and just get back on our server without any more effort than that. And he did this multiple times.

Any other ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Thanx again all.

--d.

Peter already answered those Questions in his Post above...

All you can do is slow him down by raising the required Security Level to join your Server.
    To do so right click the servername in the channel list -> Edit Virtual Server -> More -> Security. Then change the value to something between 25 and 30, do not go any higher as you'll most likely lock yourself out...
    Now when that guy gets banned he will have to wait a couple Minutes before his level is high enough to join. Keep in mind that everyone - including you - will have to wait the first time they connect to raise their level (unless they already did it before or have had their id for a long time).

Thanx for the responses.

So, looks like, TeamSpeak really does not have a sure-fire way of banning/blocking anyone. There are ways to slow them down but no complete prevention is possible. I am very surprised and disappointed.

Anyways, I appreciate all your time.

--d.

There are ways to stop them. Set the Normal server group to ignore server password, set a server password that you never hand out. Instead use the invite system with server group tokens to invite new users. Someone acts up, remove them from normal group. You can even add a visitor server group that is not a permanent group that also has ignore server password permission. This will work as a 1 time key for the user.

You can stop them, but how locked down do you want your server? I have public, elevated security and locked down servers. Just have to way the pros/cons and get your setup to match.

Screech, thanx for your response.

All I want to do is to have an "open" server without any kind of passwords or restrictions. I want folks to come into our server as Guests as most guests are decent folks.

But, once in a while, a trouble-maker shows up and I want to be able to deal with him/her on a permanent basis.

Based on my reasearch, and I could be wrong, banning is not permanent on TS3.

So not sure how to deal with this. I am sure I am not the only one nor am I the first person to feel a bit helpless when this happens. As that person just comes back in even after I have banned him again and again.

Oh well.

--d.

Thread Information