Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Server permission for hostname resolution.

I had an issue for guests having too much power...changed some permissions...
    Now the problem is... people using the server name can't connect... but can connect with the IP address....
    Can someone tell me what permission i need to reset to allow people to join by server name... IE chi.eoreality.net:10000 vs the ip address.

That is more an issue with the affected Clients than the TS3 Server itself. Whatever DNS Server they use fails to resolve your Hostname into an IP Address which is why they cannot connect.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    That is more an issue with the affected Clients than the TS3 Server itself. Whatever DNS Server they use fails to resolve your Hostname into an IP Address which is why they cannot connect.
    I understand that aspect... However... i am speaking of members who already use this hostname... after changing some permissions they now are not able to connect using that bookmark. They had to change to the ip address to connect now. This only took place after i reset some permissions on the guest group.

I'd blame coincidence for that, there is really nothing in the TS3 Server Settings yet alone Permissions that would allow for this to happen.
    Unless there were changes made to the (network) configuration of the machine running the TS3 Server in which case those would be the likely source of the issue.

In any case you can easily check if the Permission changes you made caused this by just undoing them (aka. give back the permissions you took to the guest group) temporarily.

I have gone back and reset the permissions, still a no go... not coincidence though.
    There is something in the permissions that affect this.... guess I will just have to hope someone within the Teamspeak dev team will see this post and address the problem i am having.

What makes you so sure it's not coincidence but a Permission which has nothing to do with establishing a Connection?
    The Clients who fail to connect by DNS Name do so before contact with your Machine is established at all. Have them ping and / or traceroute your DNS Name, or open a webpage on it if that server runs a webserver. Pretty sure all of them will fail at doing any of that because the DNS Server(s) they use fail to resolve your Hostname.

They can try to use a public DNS like Google's DNS which is on 8.8.8.8 which resolves your Hostname just fine and they will be able to connect to your TS3 Server.
    Code:
    C:\>nslookup chi.eoreality.net 8.8.8.8
    Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
    Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    chi.eoreality.net
    Address:  206.xxx.141.247

C:\>nslookup chi.eoreality.net
    Server:  router.local
    Address:  192.168.xx.y

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    chi.eoreality.net
    Address:  206.xxx.141.247
    As you can see both match, and if they do not for your Clients, it's an Indication that they do have DNS Issues.

Naturally your TS3 Server has to be running for anyone to be able to connect to it, which does not seem to be the case right now.
    Last edited by SilentStorm; June 1st, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Thread Information