Forum

Question Question about automatic NPL prolongation

Quote from FAQ:
    I noticed my NPL is set to expire in one year. What happens when my NPL reaches this expiration date?
    If your virtual server(s) are active within 30 days prior to the expiration date, the NPL will automatically renew itself for another year. However, if your virtual server(s) are inactive then your NPL will permanently expire.
    1) I'd like to know if I need write permissions on licensekey.dat file for user running TS3 to renew my NPL license (I mean, all dates are kept in license file), or it will be automatically renewed on website (here I mean, server requests start\end dates from TeamSpeak's license server each start)?
    2) Do I need any virtualservers to be "visible in serverlist" and have no passwords (I mean do they have to be public)?

The server (the user who started the server), needs permission to write that file. Thats correct.

The server needs to be online for his and such an update happens 48 -0 hours, before the licnse expires and then you can also redonload the new license, if this is needed.
    The weblist is not needed here. The server instance does contact and check the license automatically, when you are connected to the internet.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

3) Do I need u+w permissions for directory where the licensekey.dat file is placed?
    Now I have:
    # ls -lAd /etc/ts3-server
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 17 16:38 /etc/ts3-server
    # ls -lA /etc/ts3-server/licensekey.dat
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ts3server ts3server 1162 Sep 29 2011 /etc/ts3-server/licensekey.dat
    Is it OK?
    (I thought that TS3S can rename licensekey.dat to licensekey.dat.old, and then try to create a new licensekey.dat file, and in my case it will cause errors, depending on internal algorythms)

-rw-r--r-- 1 ts3server ts3server
    It looks like default 644 chmod so it should be okay, I'm not sure if Teamspeak Server only changes such data or creates "backup" file. If it's not a problem I would suggest changing owner of whole /etc/ts3-server problem to ts3server. You can use chown -R ts3server:ts3server /etc/ts3-server for such changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHI View Post
    It looks like default 644 chmod so it should be okay, I'm not sure if Teamspeak Server only changes such data or creates "backup" file. If it's not a problem I would suggest changing owner of whole /etc/ts3-server problem to ts3server. You can use chown -R ts3server:ts3server /etc/ts3-server for such changes.
    It's insecure because i keep configuration files in /etc/ts3-server,those files are processed, the result is passed to startup script (which runs under root). With some machinations, you can edit this file and execute anything you want.
    I think, ts3 is not very popular software and closed-source, so some exploits may be not public.
    *paranoid mode*

Sure. Then Chmod 644 should be fine I think. But I'm not sure like I said.

Thread Information