Forum

Solved [request] addon for muting the VLC video lan client

hi com,

hopefully someone can tell me if there is an addon that is able to mute VLC running on WinXP...
    so far i've seen three similar addons: winamp4ts3, wmp muter and volume control. unfortunately, none of them is able to mute VLC at a WinXP machine.

background: we are using ts3 as a software-based intercom system within an intranet. additionally, users should be able to select between different music-streams, which are played by VLC on each machine from a network based source. VLC is needed to have the music played
    a) over the full audible spectrum
    and
    b) synchronously among the different stations which have selected the same stream.
    the different stations (or computers ;o) are located in different rooms that are side-by-side and not good isolated against each other. so, if two computers (which are located in the adjoining room) are playing the same stream, the playback must be synchronic.

if a teamspeak-transmission to all stations takes place, the local VLC needs to be muted in order to hear the announcement clearly.

i've experimented a lot with the possibilites of teamspeak, because it is developed to play synchronously across all teamspeak-listeners. but speex is definitively not intended to transmit music in its full range from lowest to highest frequencies. so the addons "soundboard" and "musicbot" are also not fitting the needs for clear audio playback...
    in view of this, the synchronicity in playing music needs to be copied by another program. and the only one (which is also free software) for this i know is VLC...

unfortunately, any additional software that is used within this scenario brings more complication. so if somebody has a better suggestion how to build this case i would be glad to hear from. as said above, this does not have to work over the internet, so a more bandwidth consuming codec (operated by teamspeak!) might also be possible...

in worst case i would try to learn LUA scripting in order to build an addon for muting VLC http://forum.teamspeak.com/images/smilies/frown.gif maybe someone has a good hint where to find german sources for LUA beginners...

thanks for reading and replying!
    regards,
    richard

You could easily achieve this with the Volume Control plugin on the client transmitting the audio. It would reduce the volume of VLC so that the speaker is heard clearly over the music. You can either set it to lower the volume considerably or even set it to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimphious View Post
    You could easily achieve this with the Volume Control plugin on the client transmitting the audio. It would reduce the volume of VLC so that the speaker is heard clearly over the music. You can either set it to lower the volume considerably or even set it to zero.
    Won't work on at least the following circumstances:
    - The Server streaming VLC is not the same as the one running the TS3 Client speaking.
    - The Client is not transmitting to all Clients that listen to the VLC Stream.

i have to apologize, i didn't test the volume control plugin. the author states, that it only controls winamps volume on WinXP... i will give it a try.

thanks for your help!
    becks

ok, tests finished. the volume control plugin behaves as stated in the description - it affects only winamps volume control on WinXP...
    unfortunately, winamp is not able to play broadcast streams synchronously on multiple computers...

any other idea? maybe a source for me to start learning LUA?

thanks,
    becks

SilentStorm has created an plugin for this situation.
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...LC-Mute-Plugin

I mark this thread as resolved.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thread Information