Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Know any really useful permission techniques that get a job done?

I am interested in knowing any tricks you figured out or know of that are pretty cool that make very useful things possible that perhaps people may not immediately think of.

____
    I am keeping this opening message as short as possible so certain people actually bother to read the whole thing instead of jumping to conclusions..

The default settings do their job.
    You should offer your server situation (public, clan or game server) and what kind of groups you want on your server.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

I typed more detail before and some moderator merged my thread into another thread because they didn't even read the whole thing. The first part I talked about one trick I found on here which was cool, then proceeded to detail some of my own tips and ask for other peoples. Then it gets moved to a thread where the brief mention of one particular trick was.

Default settings "work" and that's fine, but I am talking about ways of setting up permissions to pull something off that most people would not even think to do. As with the sticky thread in this section of the forum at the top.

I was the admin, who moved it into the thread: "How to restrict channel access (aka user join a specific channel)"

It is related to the topic even, when you ask for "things that you never thougt off" Said in my post of this thread.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

When setting up your admin server groups, and you should set up groupS and not just use the default server admin group for all your admins.... When setting it up you should duplicate that admin group and on that duplicate remove all of the grant permissions and untick everything that is important to the functioning of the server. Most things that hae a 75 power should be reduced all to 70 unless specifically desired at a level of 75. You want only you to have the 100% access to everything and then have a level that is under you which cannot tamper with permissions or server groups. Admin's aside from yourself should be able to assign and remove people from a group but not go and add their own groups and tamper with your chosen permissions for the said groups.

Also, make sure your admin's cannot just go assigning other people to the same rank as themselves because if an admin can give out admin it could cause issues with not knowing who your admins are. Once you have this new admin account made, duplicate this one and further remove things for people who just have access to the basic admin functionality like kick/ban/move players/create rooms/assign certain lower groups to people etc.

If you want to make sure your server does not get "hacked" and end up with all kinds of issues, you need to be doing things like this in order that you have accountability and security of your own server.

to do any of this you should enable the advanced permission system in your teamspeak client's options. If you have any issues, then you come to this part of the forum and make a thread and ask your questions. There are always people there to answer and help you configure your server permissions.

I do agree that there should only be a handful of highly trusted, knowledgeable and experienced (in TS3 and the Permission System), known in person people who get the Default ServerAdmin Group and all the others should receive a lowered, stripped Admin group. On all of the Servers I run this is how it gets done, but then again I know a LOT of places where it is done differently. I am not saying anyone needs to do it my way though...

As far as what you allow anyone to do: It really depends on the individual Situation, I for example don't have a problem with my Admins changing Permissions, give out admin, or add/remove/change Servergroups. For one thing because I am confident in my Setup and the other thing is they should be dealing with the daily situations and do that as they please. They just cannot mess with anything highly important anyway like they cannot modify their own group or mine (the only group higher than theirs), or delete the Channels I prefer to keep. Every tiny change gets logged anyway so if someone screws up I definitely know who to rip apart xD

Yes. I am just saying people should give people the level of admin that reflects their trustworthiness and status etc instead of just giving people "admin" same as themselves, which a whole hell of a lot of people unfortunately do.

Trying to document a long list of permissions is a difficult task, however I am pasting here the text from my "TeamSpeak RANKS" channel description information about how I have set our server up. What are your thoughts about this type of setup? I would be interested in any comments of queries you have.

Server Groups

Guests can only roam around "Public Zone" channels and AFK channel. They can also assign to themselves temporary "mood" server groups which contain a smiley image etc (these temporary groups are only assigned until you leave the server). Guests can private message members and admin's if assistance is needed etc. If anybody, including guests, clicks the permissions menu and selects "Server Groups" they can see the members for each of our ranks (server groups) and find out information like who is an admin, who is in the DIS clan, who has donated to the clan etc.

Verified by an Admin (means you have been seen and deemed "ok" by a server Admin) Additionally get to be able to poke members and admin's to get their attention (abusers will be dealt with). They can also assign themselves an avatar.

Members of DIS, HiQ and Friends can get into "Public", "Member" and "Slot-Limit Secured" zone areas and additionally create temporary rooms if needed. They also get to bypass any password placed on the server and can move people into channels on the server. Members can also edit their own client description by right-clicking their name and hitting "Change Description". They can assign and revoke the "forced push to talk" server group which is used on people who are temporarily AFK and leave their mic on constant transmit or voice activation if they have a lot of background noise. There are also a few other server groups that can be assigned by Members. Right click your name and click set server group, then click the top option which says "Server groups dialogue" and you will see which servergroups you can assign to yourself. (please do not be annoying and assigning groups to people for no reason or you will be warned.

Bouncers additionally get the ability to kick new server joiners (guests) and ban if needed for up to 6 hours.

Security Staff Get the same abilities as the Bouncers but can also kick and ban members of the server as well as guests for up to 6 hours if the need ever comes up...

Secondary Admins additionally get the ability to change a few server settings, assign server groups that are below their own level and can kick as well as ban people permanently. They can also edit most rooms audio quality and codec and are able to create permanent rooms. This admin level can also edit everyone's client description and has the ability to remove people's avatar in case it is plainly offensive/inflamatory/racist etc. They can also individually prevent people from [private messaging/poking/moving users around] if people abuse these abilities.

Primary Admins additionally can change nearly all server settings, assign server groups at or below their own level (enforced on their identity for added protection by the server config admin) and can also edit most properties of most channels including manage both channel and server icon's. They are also immune to banning (enforced on their identity for added protection by the server config admin) Primary Admins can also create new server groups with various permissions including many admin level permissions. They can edit the information channels at the top of the server such as rules and ranks info etc. Primary Admins can restrict anyone below their own level's ability to assign or revoke server groups in case of abuse.

The Server Configuration Admin group is only accessible by the server owner and is only in use when core changes are needed to the TS3 permission system or server configuration and when setting up "secure-access" channels. This rank, while being the maximum rank, still cannot enter "secure-access" channel if not authorized by the channel owner.

Channel Groups

Channel Admin gives the person access to their personal room and provides basic admin features such as being able to edit their own room to change its name/password/voice quality etc. They can also kick people from their channel. If they are also a member of this server then they can also move people into their room. Channel Admins are also immune to members trying to move them elsewhere, only a Secondary Admin or higher can move them out of their own room.

Channel Access can be assigned by a Channel Admin and grants another user access to their channel just as they themselves have in the case that it is a "secure-access" channel.

Notes:
    Abusers of power will be warned and possibly have their powers revoked if needed.

Primary Admins, if you create server groups, be sure to use the advanced permission system to fine-tune the permissions to only allow people what you want them to have. They will still need a standard group assigning such as clan member, friend or admin on top of your newly created server group.
    I do have icons assigned and they appear on the channel information you see above, I just am not going to intricately add all the images to this post. So, what do you think about this kind of setup?

Thread Information