Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved [Feedback + suggestion + Bug Report]Temp Password misleading

Alright, this is a three part observation I get from using the Temporary Server Passwords

As we all know, with the release of 3.0.6, there's a new feature - temporary server password

When you turn the interface up, you see the following fields:

Temporary Password - Self explainatory, it's the password that you give to others for them to join the server
    Description - Self explainatory as well, describes what this temporary password is for
    Expires: Self explaintory again, as this tells people how long this thing will last before it is removed.

Now, here comes the misleading part.

Channel - Target channel, is it for people to join? or else why is there a field like this below
    Channel password - the password for the channel specified above

With the two fields in there, it makes people might think: "Oh, if I use the temporary password (eg: test), not only people can join the server X, they will also be directly joining channel Y, with the password I provided in the fields" (Note: **THIS WOULD ACTUALLY BE A NICE FEATURE**) Thought we all know it is used for generating invitation links.

So my suggestion is above, when people creating temp passwords, not only people can join the server, but also joining the channel set up in the temp password. This is basically like acting like entering a promotional code to get to the special places. And I think this is way better than using invite links.

Now, there is ANOTHER thing I wanted to point out in the manage temp password section, I think we need to hide the password field for the channel passwords, or else people could peak into other channel's passwords.

And on top of that. the create invitaion context menu does NOT include channel to join!! So what's the point to even have the two fields I've mentioned above?

Hi, it seems that you have missunderstood the feature.
    The temporary password does send the user into the target channel and leaves the option to send the channel passowrd, beause they still need it to join the channel. It only works, 1. when there is a server password set + when the server password is not the same, as temporary password.

This feature is not meaned to offer something like a special invite. It's for Guilds, who wan' to invite guests (for minutes, hours, days), without giving out their server password.

You can not see the channel passwords from other channels! It always shows 8 symbols and it does not matter how long that password is.

The invite dialog has a checkbox "insert my current channel". This is the way to invite people into a channel. Or you can change the channel with your own hand.
    Last edited by dante696; July 6th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

The temporary password does send the user into the target channel and leaves the option to send the channel passowrd, beause they still need it to join the channel. It only works, 1. when there is a server password set + when the server password is not the same, as temporary password.
    Hence why I said it's misleading. So why allow user can set temp password when the server doesn't have a password set?

You can not see the channel passwords from other channels! It always shows 8 symbols and it does not matter how long that password is.
    Well, explain this.

Name:  explainThis.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  816.7 KB

I'm sure everyone can easily see my channel's password, and also the temp password that I can give to other people (this was captured from another identity)

The invite dialog has a checkbox "insert my current channel". This is the way to invite people into a channel. Or you can change the channel with your own hand.
    As you can see from screen shot, it is DISABLED.

We allow to set this, because you still can deciede to add or remove or change your current server password.

Only admins should be able to use this list and it does not mean, that the password for the channel is still the same, as it was set before.

This won't be changed and is no bug!
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

It is disabled because the Password already contains a CHannel which the user is going to get send to when he joins using the password, hence it makes no sense to put another one in the invite URL.

[Suggestion] Temp server password function without server password.

Presently, it seems that when your server has no password on it and you have some temp passwords which are set to enter certain rooms, those passwords do not function. If people connect to an unpassworded server using a temporary password they just end up in the default room instead of the assigned room for that password.

Can you fix it so that the temporary passwords still function even if the server its self has no password on it? I find it very convenient to be able to have a temporary password that will let them automatically enter a certain room.

Thread got merged. Please use our search function first. This has been rejected before.
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...548#post315548

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...292#post319292
    Last edited by dante696; July 6th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

If there is no Password required to enter the Server the client doesn't even send the password...
    Client just tries to connect, and if the Server requests a password the client either asks for one or sends the one you already entered in the connect Dialog (or by clicking a link containing a password).

Yes. I would like it to check with the server to see if the password typed matches one on the server and if it does then use it. If the server its self has no password on it, thats no reason to not check for temp passwords that can give access to special rooms etc.

You did not understand me...

As I was saying the Client always assumes there is no password, then while establishing the connection the server checks and knows whether there is a password required to enter (or if the client has b_virtualserver_join_ignore_password and doesn't need a password) and notifies the Client about this condition, at which point the Client will either ask for a password or send the one already provided to the server. The Server then checks if it is the correct server pass or one of the temporary passwords and grants access if this is the case or notifies the client that the password is not accepted which will in turn notify the user.

So you see there is no Password send to the server unless the client needs one to enter the server in the first place, which is why temporary passwords cannot be checked if the server has no password set (since the server won't even get any password from the client in this case).

I know this, that is why I am in the suggestion section of the forum asking for it to check passwords any way... Temp passwords can let people get into rooms without knowing the room password.

This has been requested before and we won't change that behavior.

A temporary password is only active, whne the server password is set, because this is the first thing, what the client asks the server.

Thread Information