Forum

Did I setup my SRV Records correctly? Non-Profit License Check Aborts a SRV lookup?

I setup SRV records for the ts.valhallashalls.com URL. The idea being that it should lookup the next highest priority should a server fail to respond. The trouble is that, we had our primary server go down, and it did not automatticly redirect to the next highest priority level.

Is this because the issue was with the NPL on our server? Does a failed license check abort the SRV lookup? Here is the backstory. I setup the Non-Profit License on our main server and put the same license on our backup server. After about 5 minutes our primary server went down (because I assume the license was being used in another location.) The thing is, between our primary server and the backup server that also had the NPL license, was a hosted server, and that server did not receive any connects. My understanding was, that all clients on the shutdown of our main server should be transported to our secondary server because on a lost connection the TS client automatilly try's to reconnect. But even me doing a new connection to the SRV record connected to none of the servers listed. Why is that, what did I do wrong here?

Code:
    > _ts3._udp.ts.valhallashalls.com
    Server:  E4200
    Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    _ts3._udp.ts.valhallashalls.com SRV service location:
              priority       = 1
              weight         = 100
              port           = 9987
              svr hostname   = ts.io
              priority       = 2
              weight         = 100
              port           = 9102
              svr hostname   = ts4.gameservers.com
              priority       = 3
              weight         = 100
              port           = 9987
              svr hostname   = d.ts.io

ts.io   internet address = 205.186.162.66

If you used the same NPL on both Servers (which is prohibited by the new Licensing terms iirc.) both Servers would shut down since you exceeded your total slot count (or total server count).
    With an NPL you are allowed to host a total of 10 Servers using a total of 512 Slots across all of the servers. It doesn't matter whether those slots are used or not. You can only offer 512 slots across 10 servers at most.
    So if your first server had 300 slots running and your backup was the same then you would reach 600 slots hosted on the same npl which would cause both servers to shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    If you used the same NPL on both Servers (which is prohibited by the new Licensing terms iirc.) both Servers would shut down since you exceeded your total slot count (or total server count).
    With an NPL you are allowed to host a total of 10 Servers using a total of 512 Slots across all of the servers. It doesn't matter whether those slots are used or not. You can only offer 512 slots across 10 servers at most.
    So if your first server had 300 slots running and your backup was the same then you would reach 600 slots hosted on the same npl which would cause both servers to shutdown.
    So then, in effect, I should have my primary server with 256 slots, and my backup can run with the same amount of slots to give me 512 total slots. That way, I can share the database directly, without having the change settings for the backup server. But that still does not explain why the SRV record did not take effect when it found that the first server was unreachable.

Thread Information