Forum

[already possible] Windows 7 Audio Ducking Support

The Volume Control plugin has the ability to automatically lower the volume of other applications when someone is speaking (also known as ducking). Unfortunately, this plugin has been removed since TeamSpeak 3.0.7. However, Windows 7 and above natively supports this feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win8-communications.png 
Views:	1104 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	6659

Windows 7 introduces the concept of communication devices. Using the WASAPI, TeamSpeak can use these devices for audio so that Windows behaves accordingly when someone speaks. Currently, TeamSpeak does not use communication devices, thus the user's preferences are not respected, and Windows treats TeamSpeak's voice streams as regular audio.

Ventrilo has support for this feature on its Windows client.

An example on how to use communication devices can be found here.
    Last edited by Timothy003; August 4th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.

I know, that this also works with TeamSpeak and games running in foreground.
    We have many complaints, where windows does minimize games volume during a gameplay.

The volume plugin can be found here.
    http://addons.teamspeak.com/director...s-only%29.html
    Last edited by dante696; November 13th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thank you for your reply.

Windows 7 has never by itself lowered the volumes of mine or any of my friends' games. It is likely that the people who reported that issue had the Volume Control plugin enabled.

The Volume Control plugin in its current state is not an acceptable solution for three reasons:

• It crashes TeamSpeak occasionally.
    • It changes the volumes of applications and often does not unset them, leaving them at the lowered volume permanently (which persists even across reboots).
    • It has been removed from the official TeamSpeak package. This suggests that the developers themselves do not want people using this plugin.

Audio ducking should be a standard feature in all VoIP applications. They should not need to tinker with the operating system's settings. As shown in my original post, Windows will automatically detect voice chat streams as communications activity if the application provides the intent. Since TeamSpeak already uses the WASAPI, it seems like a bug that it is not being detected.

No not all reports are releated to that plugin. This is one reason, why our supporter always advice to check this windows setting and to set it up to "do nothing".
    I had hat the same problem with left for dead without the plugin running.
    Last edited by dante696; August 16th, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

In that case, this is a bug, as TeamSpeak does not behave that way on any of my systems. Could you please move this to Bug Reports?

I haven't heard from you in a while. Has this bug been acknowledged, or do you need more information?

I performed a clean install of Windows 8 Pro, and the problem persists.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy003 View Post
    I haven't heard from you in a while. Has this bug been acknowledged, or do you need more information?

I performed a clean install of Windows 8 Pro, and the problem persists.

Thanks.
    Hello! Do you have Realtek sound card drivers?

I've been searching for a solution to this for a few days now to no avail, but have stumbled across something that solved my issue.

Right click on your volume control, then pick your playback devices tab. Right click on your speakers, then choose "Enhancements". In the scroll bar area, check "Loudness Equalization". My system stopped audio ducking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loudness.PNG 
Views:	437 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	7332

I hope this helps!

Hi Aular, thanks for the information. However, I believe you were experiencing a different issue. This thread is about the opposite - audio ducking not working when it is enabled in Windows.

I have tested additional voice chat programs and their behaviors with their respective audio ducking options enabled. Here are the results.

• Skype: Ducks audio for entire duration of call. Restores original volume when done.
    • RaidCall: Ducks audio until group is left. Restores original volume when done.
    • Mumble: Ducks audio until disconnected. Does not properly restore volume when done.

So far, only Mumble and TeamSpeak appear to not be using the Windows audio ducking API. Despite reports of TeamSpeak doing so, I have not had any of my 50 team members being ducked automatically when someone speaks.

I'd appreciate it if someone could follow me up on this issue. Do you experience audio ducking when the option is enabled in Windows?

Thread Information