Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi maxi,

Not being able to use filetransfers is not a new thing with Hypernia. this has been the case on one of my servers that I have had with then pretty much for the past year. I can live without filetransfers.

The new part (since last week) is that they now have also disabled uploads. This means no uploads to the server. Common usages like custom room icons, custom rank icons or client avatars are now also disabled. So all the things that you would use to make your TS server a little more personal, and from my experience used just about every server I have been into, you can no longer use. All due to an exploit TS says is not there, and Hypernia insists it is.
    Trying to get them to talk to each other however (or at lease release a statement to the people paying the bills) is proving a whole other ballgame.

Hypernia have told me in their last ticket, they are no longer willing to discuss it.

I wish I could just tell my customers to go shove it, with a reason of "just because I can, and I can't be bothered talking to you anymore"

Roundie

Hello,

For a TeamSpeak Hoster normally the traffic generated is all that matters. Therefore you actually _can_ set a quota per client per month. For example: Each client is allowed to upload 500 MB per month. Additional the allowed bandwith can be set. This is all an experienced hoster needs in order to get his costs under control.
    However, the maximum used disk space for filetransfer can't be specified. This is usually not needed because most hosters prefer the usage of disk quotas build into the operating system. For example under Linux they can use LVM (Logical Volume Management). Using both features together a hoster can create his server environment as needed.

On a side note: Most hosters which enable file transfer make this an optional feature where they are charging the customer an additional fee. When renting a server you usually can configure the filetransfer quota or have no filetransfer at all. Of course, as higher the quote, as more expensive it gets, as the bandwidth causes costs for the hoster.

We are currently not aware of a security exploit in the filetransfer system. We are digging into our mailboxes and ticket system for some info on this. I also don't know when this has been reported, the thread on the hosters forum is rather old (Nov 2011).

The statement we don't want to admit and don't want to fix security issues is a bit cheap. In worst case we have missed something. Further details via personal message on this forum are welcome.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

We are deferring from the issue here. This post is not about file transfer as Hypernia have had this disabled for a year or so as far as I know.

The issue is they have now disabled uploads (avatar, icons), which they say they have done due to it opening an exploit in the amount of seats in the server. (people can modify this allegedly if uploads are enabled.).

As far as i am concerned, it takes away part of the reason for using TS. Sure its just a VOIP system (Hypernia's words, not mine) but they are easy to come by. We use TS because of how we (admin) can customize it, and give it a look we want.

They have told me they have reported the exploit to you (for uploads, NOT file transfer) in the past few weeks. I know this because they told me that when they told us about moving the TS servers to new more secure servers 3 weeks ago, they were not aware of the exploit.

I am happy to send you copies of my tickets and responses from them if it helps resolve the issue. I don't even care if the exploit is really there and needs to be fixed! I just would like to see it resolved so I (and other Ts users) can keep running a nice looking, stable, functioning TS server.

My issue all along is that they have changed the product they where supplying to me by removing part of its functionality. Their response "you are just hiring a VOIP system, and that's what you are getting"

Great customer service don't you think?

Roundie

At the moment I don't have any detailed information on this exploit report (which does not mean there is no exploit or there is no report).

To avoid talking endlessly here without result, we will contact Hypernia to get more information.

Thank you SO much Peter! That's all I wanted all along!!

Can you please please please please keep us posted with any results/developments?

If you need a reference point to them, my ticket number with them that started all this is 643628.

I'm hoping you get to deal with Lane in their support, he has been by far the most helpful.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Roundie
    Last edited by Roundie; August 21st, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

We will keep you updated once we know more. As Hypernia seems to be U.S. based (at least the Contact information reads Florida) and we are in Germany, it will probably take a day or two, so please don't expect this to be resolved today.

All good Peter. I wouldn't expect it to be solved instantly. Obviously if there is an issue it needs to be addressed. My main goal is to get it resolved for all the end users who like the features TS has.

Again, thank you so much for your assistance.

Feel free to contact me if you need further information in regards to this.

Roundie

This was added to the Hypernia knowledge base :

"At this time the file transfer & custom icons fuctionality on all by the slot Teamspeak 3 servers is disabled due to security issues within the Teamspeak 3 server application.

You may purchase a vps/cloud or dedicated server from Hypernia for which you are welcome to setup and host a Teamspeak 3 server as you desire.
    "

http://portal.hypernia.com/knowledge...yarticle&id=44

Luck we can go with the upsell!! Can anyone spot me an extra $250 a month?

Roundie

Probably all an excuse to make the costumers rent a vps/dedicated server...
    Dont know the change rate between AUD and € but here in europe you get a dedicated server with this hardware for < 100 € a month.

Yeah. My thoughts too Alcazar.

We get marked up to the max here. They will charge $199/mth for a dedicated server in the US, for a box with identical specs over in Oz, we get the priv of paying around $329/mth.

Hello,

meanwhile we are in contact with Hypernia. Both them and we are very interested to get this issue resolved so you, our users and customers, will be happy with the service.

First of all, there is no known security exploit with filetransfer. All of that seems to be based on a previous misunderstandment.
    Our support staff is currently working closely together with Hypernia to get their issues with filetransfer resolved, so hopefully they can reenable it again once that has been done.

I do not have the impression Hypernia is trying to rip anyone off. Quite the contrary, they acted in good intention to protect their customers and their servers.
    After all, we - TeamSpeak - have no direct influence how hosters setup their service, but I have yet to meet a professional hoster who isn't responsive to cooperation to resolve any encountered issue.

In any case, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Again I have to ask for some patience, Europe to U.S. communication is always somewhat slow.

Peter,

You are my new hero!

Prior to this my dealings with Hypernia have always been good. It was the main reason we moved our second TS server across to them.

I did not want to post this thread, as it should have never come to this stage. All of this could have been avoided with a little extra communication between Hypernia and TS and its end users.

I appreciate the volume of support tickets Hypernia must get world wide, but I think sometimes you have to put yourself in the end users shoes before making comment or decisions.

I'm excited to move forward from this in the hope things get resolved in a manner that suits TS, Hypernia, and us, the end users.

Keep up the good work. The people in my Clan, and I'm sure many others around the world thank you for how helpful you have been so far.

If Lane or any of the other support staff from Hypernia read this (except for maybe one individual there who shall remain nameless), thank you for taking the time to get this resolved (hopefully).

I look forward to your next update!!!

(a very Happy) Roundie

I think somebody tried to prove a point today.

Today someone joined into our current TS server and did exactly what this thread is about. They removed all custom icons from the server, deleted all custom server groups, took all admin rights off the admins, banned everyone on there for 2 hrs and set the server to a 9999 seat server.

Even through the CP I was unable to kick this guy, and I am unable to create admin tokens.

Interestingly he/she came in with my name, so people thought it was me kicking, and then changed his name to KOBRA once everybody was banned.

He then edited the virtual server name to ************

I got his unique key, but I'm not sure what having that will achieve? Atached is a nice screenshot of what was left for us.

Name:  hack.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  145.8 KB

Roundie
    Last edited by dante696; August 24th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Great....

To update you on the current state of proceedings, our tech support and Hypernia tech support are working to get their servers running properly and secure again. Hopefully the issues should be resolved mid of next week, from what I gather - I'm no support guy, so I don't know the exact details. The issue with their servers was meanwhile identified (not filetransfer).

Hypernia support staff is working hard on this, I bet they are currently having a rough time. Also our tech support is involved with high priority. My overall impression is, they are good guys who really care and don't want to cheat anyone. Some allegations made previously in this thread were certainly a bit over the top, but I can understand the anger caused when things go wrong. After all, people are used to TeamSpeak servers just running flawlessly all the time, so it may be startling if that suddenly isn't the case anymore. :-)

Anyways, there isn't much I can do to help you anymore, the whole issue has been escalated to the right people who are taking care of it. For us, the developers, the main part was to rule out any security exploit in TeamSpeak itself.

As a note in advance, once the whole story has been resolved, we will remove this thread.

i don't know if this is important, but i found a other german server which seams to be "hacked" and slots are set to 10k.
    i just searched for servers which contains "hacked by".

Thread Information