Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

My mic sounds terrible, but only in team speak?

I used to use a $60 mic, but it broke recently, so I bought a cheap $20 mic. For some reason when I use it in skype, it sounds perfectly fine, but when I use it in team speak it sounds terrible. I've tried adjusting things in the capture tab, but nothing seems to fix it.

Is my mic just not good with team speak or is there another way to remedy the problem?

EDIT: This is the mic I'm using.

Well, I presume it only sounds terrible only because teamspeak3 uses superior voice quality which shows the mic's real face which haven't been noticed by you until now since you've been using teamspeak3.
    Maybe you need to update your sound drivers / check all voice settings / buy a better mic / use another sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfo View Post
    For some reason when I use it in skype, it sounds perfectly fine, but when I use it in team speak it sounds terrible. I've tried adjusting things in the capture tab, but nothing seems to fix it.
    The mic level is adjusted from the operating system not from the capture tab in the TS3. Be sure the mic level is well adjusted for your mic. Usually the 'mic-booster' activated, or an excessive amplification, can do the behavior you are describing.

After adjusting the mic level,
    If you are using Skype, be sure that:
    in Skype Tools --> Options --> Sound
    you have to Uncheck
    Automatically adjust microphone settings

Quote Originally Posted by PotaBlava View Post
    The mic level is adjusted from the operating system not from the capture tab in the TS3. Be sure the mic level is well adjusted for your mic. Usually the 'mic-booster' activated, or an excessive amplification, can do the behavior you are describing.

After adjusting the mic level,
    If you are using Skype, be sure that:
    in Skype Tools --> Options --> Sound
    you have to Uncheck
    Automatically adjust microphone settings
    Thanks Pota, unchecking that Skype option indeed fixed the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by maxi1990 View Post
    Well, I presume it only sounds terrible only because teamspeak3 uses superior voice quality which shows the mic's real face which haven't been noticed by you until now since you've been using teamspeak3.
    Maybe you need to update your sound drivers / check all voice settings / buy a better mic / use another sound card.

It is true that TeamSpeak uses superior audio handling software than skype, but I currently am using a 90$ Sennheiser E835, which sounds great on Skype, FL Studio, Steam, whatever, but sounds cheaper than a 2$ mic in TeamSpeak. It clips almost always. I am using a Behringer Xenyx 1204PA Mixer and soundcard combo by the way.

Any way let TeamSpeak directly use the audio it receives from the mixer? Because right now TeamSpeak is demolishing the audio it gets as input.

Quote Originally Posted by Gouatsie View Post
    It is true that TeamSpeak uses superior audio handling software than skype, but I currently am using a 90$ Sennheiser E835, which sounds great on Skype, FL Studio, Steam, whatever, but sounds cheaper than a 2$ mic in TeamSpeak. It clips almost always. I am using a Behringer Xenyx 1204PA Mixer and soundcard combo by the way.

Any way let TeamSpeak directly use the audio it receives from the mixer? Because right now TeamSpeak is demolishing the audio it gets as input.
    Did you manage to find a fix for this?

I'm running my condenser mic through my Motu soundcard which is far better than using some random headset mic... and the sound quality in Teamspeak sounds crap. Clips it like mad and when I don't use 'auto voice gain control' I cannot be heard at all. When I record my own voice in Cubase for example it comes through crystal clear. So I'm not sure whose saying teamspeak uses 'super advanced space age voice quality handling software' because it's pretty damn pants to be honest.

not really all that many settings on the voice capture side of things for teamspeak anyway.

A friend of mine is having similar problems. In Skype it sounds great, in TS it sounds absolute shit.
    Iíve tried everything, including throwing both programs out with REVO uninstaller (cleans registry too), nothing helps.

Whatís even weirder is that when we tried Mumble, it also sounded bad. Itís just such a sad problem, I have to keep using Skype and it drives me nuts.

Thread Information