Forum

Two questions about specific permissions and settings in the TS3 groups

Hello Community

I'm new to this forum and hope that you'll be able to understand my english.

1st question:
    Yesterday I couldn't find the permission which allows someone to give to himself and others in a specific channel the status moderator (not sure if it's called like this in english... maybe it will help a few people when I give the german word, which is "Gesprächsleiter") and also remove this status later. I could only find the right which says "Group is "moderator"" but when I set this to true the specified server or channel group has this status permanently. For me as the SA it's possible to give this status and remove it from other users and me altough there isn't set the "Group is "moderator""-permission in the SA group permissions.

2nd question:
    Is it possible to configure my default channel that all users are moved to another channel or even kicked from the server if the stay in the default channel for f.e. more than 2 minutes (I'm looking for a solution without setting up a bot because I don't have the possibility to do this (I'm renting my server so I don't have physical access to the server or it's filesystem))?
    Reason:
    - I want to prevent that users stay in the lobby after they've logged in.
    - I've 3 AFK channels called "< 10 mins", "10 mins - 30 mins" and "> 30 mins". If someone goes to the channel "< 10mins" I want him to be moved to "10 mins - 30 mins" after 10 minutes so everyone knows how long he's really AFK and not the time the user excepted to be AFK. After another 20 minutes he should be moved to "> 30 mins". The problem here is that if someone goes to the channel "10 mins - 30 mins" he should get moved to the next channel after 30 minutes but if someone joins "< 10 mins" first he should get moved out from the 2nd channel to the 3rd after only 20 minutes (I hope everyone gets the point here =/).

Thanks in advance to everyone trying to help me!

R3d

Hi,

1)
    The Feature is called Priority Speaker in English and you will need to use the advanced permission system in order to give other groups the ability to assign and revoke it.
    First enable the advanced permission system in settings -> options -> application -> check advanced permission system -> ok.
    Now go to permissions -> server groups and select the group then in the filter enter priority. You will see 2 permissions.
    Right click the one that says b_client_is_priority_speaker (should be the 2nd one) and choose add grant permission. Then enter any value >0 and < 70 in the last column.
    Now all users in that group can assign and revoke priority speaker to others.

2)
    You can have people kicked from the server after they have been idle in any channel by assigning the i_client_max_idletime permission to the server group if you want the users in that group to be kicked in whatever channel they are after a certain amount of time.
    Just right click the i_client_max_idletime line and hit add permission then enter the amount of time in seconds you want them to be able to idle without being kicked. So for example 300 seconds for 5 minutes.
    You can also make it so that certain channels have a different idle time so for example you can right click the default channel and hit channel permissions. Then in the filter type idle and assign the permission to the channel with whatever value you want. For example 180 for 3 minutes in your default channel.
    Any user idle for more than the specified time will be kicked from the server.
    Moving clients to an afk channel is not supported and you will have to use a bot for that. You could also use a client side option for this however that would a) require you to be connected to the server all the time otherwise nobody will be moved. b) require you to find such a plugin / script or create it yourself. I am currently unaware of any plugin that does this as usually it's done server side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hi,

1)
    The Feature is called Priority Speaker in English and you will need to use the advanced permission system in order to give other groups the ability to assign and revoke it.
    First enable the advanced permission system in settings -> options -> application -> check advanced permission system -> ok.
    Now go to permissions -> server groups and select the group then in the filter enter priority. You will see 2 permissions.
    Right click the one that says b_client_is_priority_speaker (should be the 2nd one) and choose add grant permission. Then enter any value >0 and < 70 in the last column.
    Now all users in that group can assign and revoke priority speaker to others.

2)
    You can have people kicked from the server after they have been idle in any channel by assigning the i_client_max_idletime permission to the server group if you want the users in that group to be kicked in whatever channel they are after a certain amount of time.
    Just right click the i_client_max_idletime line and hit add permission then enter the amount of time in seconds you want them to be able to idle without being kicked. So for example 300 seconds for 5 minutes.
    You can also make it so that certain channels have a different idle time so for example you can right click the default channel and hit channel permissions. Then in the filter type idle and assign the permission to the channel with whatever value you want. For example 180 for 3 minutes in your default channel.
    Any user idle for more than the specified time will be kicked from the server.
    Moving clients to an afk channel is not supported and you will have to use a bot for that. You could also use a client side option for this however that would a) require you to be connected to the server all the time otherwise nobody will be moved. b) require you to find such a plugin / script or create it yourself. I am currently unaware of any plugin that does this as usually it's done server side.
    1) Thank you very much for your help! I'll try to find this permission in the evening. Advanced permissions are already activated (I don't understand the "normal" permissions >.<) so I only have to find this permission by using the filter.
    One other question regarding your answer: What is the difference if I set the value to 1 or 70. What do those numbers do?

2) Thank you again. But again here another question related to this topic: How is "idle" defined? Is someone idle if he doesn't speak?! Is the i_client_max_idletime activated in every channel for a group if I assign this permission to this group? If I assign the i_client_max_idletime for a channel is it activated for every group except if the flag for skipping group privilegues is set?
    About the moving thingy: Is it possible to set up a bot when I don't have access to the file system of the TeamSpeak 3 server?

Thanks!
    R3d

2)
    idle is defined as "not doing anything", so if you are writing messages to the chat or talking you are not idle. Any action you do on the server is activity and will not count as idle.
    If you assign the permission in a group it will have effect anywhere where the user has that group, so for server groups anywhere on the entire server, for channel groups only in channels were the user has that channel group.
    If assigned to a channel then it will take effect for everyone in that channel except if that permission is skipped in the server group or client permissions or overridden by the channel group or channel client permissions.

1) Actually you need more than what I originally said...
    To give priority speaker you need:
    • i_permission_modify_power >= i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of the client you want to take / give priority speaker from/to.
    • i_permission_modify_power >= Grant Value for b_client_is_priority_speaker
    • i_channel_permission_modify_power >= i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of the channel they should be able to use priority speaker in.

So you can limit them to only be able to give / take it to / from certain clients and also only in certain channels.
    Last edited by Chris; October 9th, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fixed bad permission name...

2)
    idle is defined as "not doing anything", so if you are writing messages to the chat or talking you are not idle. Any action you do on the server is activity and will not count as idle.
    Okay, so I think this won't do what I want. Because I want them to be kicked if they stay in the default channel. I want to do this because the users sometime talk there. So now if they talk there they aren't idle --> they don't get kicked. I can't disable speaking because I wan't users of the group Guest to be able to talk in there because they can't do anything except talking (they can't write messages, can't switch channel, can't poke and so on..). But Guests should also be kicked if they stay there too long (they can only stay on the server if they get moved or get Member-Privilegues (almost equal to Default Group "Normal")).

1) Actually you need more than what I originally said...
    To give priority speaker you need:
    • i_client_permission_modify_power >= i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of the client you want to take / give priority speaker from/to.
    • i_client_permission_modify_power >= Grant Value for b_client_is_priority_speaker
    • i_channel_permission_modify_power >= i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of the channel they should be able to use priority speaker in.
    If I give i_client_permission_modify_power to a certain Members. What else can they do with those rights apart from giving b_client_is_priority_speaker?

When I look at your tips, I'm not quite sure if I understand it correctly. Let me write what I need:
    - There are 4 Main-Groups on my Server: "Server Admin", "Admin", "Member" and "Guest".
    - The Server Admin group is currently able to give priority speaker to everyone in every channel. This should stay the same.
    -There is a specific channel (called "Admin-Channel") where only Admins and the Server Admin can join and speak. All clients from server group "Admin" are in the channel group "Operator" (only in this specific channel!). All Operators should be able to give priority speaker to themselves in all channels where they are Operator. But they shouldn't be able to give or take this right from anyone else.

There are still questions left from my post above:
    - Is it possible to set up a bot when I don't have access to the file system of the TeamSpeak 3 server?
    - In b_client_is_priority_speaker: What is the difference if I set the value to 1 or 70. What do those numbers do?

Thx
    R3d
    Last edited by Chris; October 9th, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: fixed bad quote... editing text in quotes aint nice.

Quote Originally Posted by R3dCr0ss View Post
    All Operators should be able to give priority speaker to themselves in all channels where they are Operator. But they shouldn't be able to give or take this right from anyone else.
    This is not possible.

There are still questions left from my post above:
    - Is it possible to set up a bot when I don't have access to the file system of the TeamSpeak 3 server?
    I thought I answered them but apparently missed to type it out, so here it goes:
    As long as you know the serverquery port and can create your own serverquery login, you can run the bot from some other location and have it connect to your TeamSpeak server. However you might not have access to the query port and also the ip would likely need to be whitelisted on the server, which many hosters might not do.

The other solution would be to use the clientquery plugin which offers a local telnet interface to do stuff, however I don't know of any bot that works with the client query. So you will probably have to write something yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by "R3dCrßss:327858
    - In b_client_is_priority_speaker: What is the difference if I set the value to 1 or 70. What do those numbers do?
    sort of answered:
    i_permission_modify_power >= Grant Value for b_client_is_priority_speaker
    the higher the grant value the more permission_modify_power you will have to give. This enables clients to modify other and their own client permissions for those permissions they have a grant value for. The lower the better.
    On it self it doesn't do much and shouldn't do much harm.
    Last edited by Chris; October 9th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

As long as you know the serverquery port and can create your own serverquery login, you can run the bot from some other location and have it connect to your TeamSpeak server. However you might not have access to the query port and also the ip would likely need to be whitelisted on the server, which many hosters might not do.
    In the confirmation mail from my hoster, there's the port to the serverquery with the notice "for the viewer". I haven't used this serverquery and I even don't know what I can do with it, so I don't know, if the port is enough to install such a bot...
    Can you tell me please, which ip do you mean has to be whitlisted?

This is not possible.
    I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but I think it COULD be possible to do what I want.
    - I'll set the i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of every channel group except "Operator" to 75.
    - Then I'll set the i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of Operator to for example 60.
    - Then I'll set the i_permission_modify_power of "Operator" to 60.
    - After that I'll set the grant value for b_client_is_priority_speaker to 60 too. (Do I have to do this in the "Operator" group or in every other Channel group?
    - Is the following necessary if I set the permissions in the channel group? -->
    i_channel_permission_modify_power >= i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of the channel they should be able to use priority speaker in.
    There's just one problem with this solution: All members from group "Operator" can give and take the right to every other member of the "Operator" group.

Again a few questions
    Can you list me all the permissions of the same type like "b_client_is_priority_speaker"?
    I mean a list of all permissions which I can give to someone if I have the necessary "i_permission_modify_power".

If I go to the settings for "channel groups". Do the changes I do there affect the channel groups regardless to the a specific channel or do I have to do the settings in the "channel groups" for EVERY channel?

Thanks!
    R3d

There's just one problem with this solution: All members from group "Operator" can give and take the right to every other member of the "Operator" group.
    which according to your previous post you did not want hence my reply of not possible.

Again a few questions
    Can you list me all the permissions of the same type like "b_client_is_priority_speaker"?
    I mean a list of all permissions which I can give to someone if I have the necessary "i_permission_modify_power".
    basically everything they have a grant value for.

If I go to the settings for "channel groups". Do the changes I do there affect the channel groups regardless to the a specific channel or do I have to do the settings in the "channel groups" for EVERY channel?
    Changes in channel group permissions take effect everywhere where the channel group gets assigned / used. So yes it doesn't matter if you are in channel A or channel B they will be able to do it.

However since there is also the 3rd requirement I mentioned (i_channel_permission_modify_power >= i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of the channel they should be able to use priority speaker in.) you can allow it only in one specific channel for example by giving the operator group an i_channel_modify_power of 10 and only lower the i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power to 10 in those channels they should be able to use priority speaker.

basically everything they have a grant value for.
    So I can set a grant value for every permission? Doesn't make sense imo.
    If it's not possible to set a grant value for every permission could someone list me all the permissions to which I can set a grant value (or at least give me a method to find out for myself without trying to set a value on each permission)?

Changes in channel group permissions take effect everywhere where the channel group gets assigned / used. So yes it doesn't matter if you are in channel A or channel B they will be able to do it.
    Does this mean that if an Operator is in Channel A and a normal User is in Channel B.
    Now let's say the following:
    - i_client_permission_modify_power of channel group Operator: 60
    - i_channel_permission_modify_power of channel group Operator: 60
    - i_client_needed_permission_modify_power of the User in Channel B: 60
    - i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of Channel B: 60
    - b_client_is_priority_speaker grant value for the User in Channel B: 60
    Is it possible for the Operator to give the User priority speaker? (Remember: They're not in the same channel.
    Is it possible if the Operator group would be a server group?

However since there is also the 3rd requirement I mentioned (i_channel_permission_modify_power >= i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power of the channel they should be able to use priority speaker in.) you can allow it only in one specific channel.
    Am I right that it does the same if I remove the i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power (in every channel) and the i_channel_permission_modify_power (in every channel group) and just assign the channel group operator to a member in one specific channel? I think that if I assign Operator to a user it doesn't mean that he is Operator in every channel or am I wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, but every time I write a new post new questions come to my mind...
    So...:
    - Is it possible to assign a channel group to a server group (so everyone who's in this server group is automatically in the channel group too)?

- Is it possible to change the order in the list of all groups at the left side in the permission settings for the server groups?

Actual:
    - Server Admin
    - Admin
    ... and so on ...

Needed:
    - Server Admin
    - Admin
    ... and so on ...

Thanks again for all your help and time taken!
    R3d

I am getting a feeling you are misunderstanding something here...

Only those people that should change priority speaker need the grant value for priority speaker as otherwise they cannot give it out...
    Nobody else should have it, and even the operator shouldn't have any other grant value.

Is it possible for the Operator to give the User priority speaker? (Remember: They're not in the same channel.
    Is it possible if the Operator group would be a server group?
    No it is not, since the Operator in Channel A has no permissions to do so in Channel B.

Am I right that it does the same if I remove the i_channel_needed_permission_modify_power (in every channel) and the i_channel_permission_modify_power (in every channel group) and just assign the channel group operator to a member in one specific channel? I think that if I assign Operator to a user it doesn't mean that he is Operator in every channel or am I wrong?
    it is definitely not recommended to remove the channel_needed_modify power from a channel.

Sorry for all the questions, but every time I write a new post new questions come to my mind...
    So...:
    - Is it possible to assign a channel group to a server group (so everyone who's in this server group is automatically in the channel group too)?
    That makes totally NO sense at all...

- Is it possible to change the order in the list of all groups at the left side in the permission settings for the server groups?
    Yes use i_sort_id. Also this is answered in several threads and stickies. Please use the search.

Also please carefully read the permissiondoc.txt in the documentation of the server, which can be found in the doc/ directory. May I also suggest to run a test server (on your local system maybe) and test things out for yourself? Often you learn stuff more easily if you test it out yourself.

Thank you again

Only those people that should change priority speaker need the grant value for priority speaker as otherwise they cannot give it out...
    Nobody else should have it, and even the operator shouldn't have any other grant value.
    Okay... I'm not sure if I understood this correctly.
    Is it correct that the following example isn't possible?
    --> Client A cannot give Client B priority speaker if the grant value of Client B is higher than the perm modify power of Client A?

it is definitely not recommended to remove the channel_needed_modify power from a channel.
    Then I have to admit that I'm completly clueless about what this permissino does...
    Can you help me out?

Also please carefully read the permissiondoc.txt in the documentation of the server, which can be found in the doc/ directory. May I also suggest to run a test server (on your local system maybe) and test things out for yourself? Often you learn stuff more easily if you test it out yourself.
    Is it possible to get it without installing a test-server. I don't have access to the file system of my rented TS.

Do you know about any documentations (like a PDF or something) with a precise description of every right in TS3?
    That would really help me out A LOT because the mouseover tooltips in the TS3-Client are sometimes just not enough.

Greetz
    R3d

That's why I suggested to run a test server on your local system. Just download the server from our downloads page and run it on your local computer. There you can play around with the permissions and test it out.

Thread Information