Forum

New NPL and clan/guild hosting

Figured I'd post this here since it probably effects a lot of people, and I couldn't find any thread addressing it already. Apologies if I missed a thread somewhere.

In the new NPL that was just released, the following warning appears:

When we verify your website, it CANNOT have any donation buttons or advertising of any kind.
    Most clans or guilds rely on member donations to afford forum, web and game server hosting. The new provision will invalidate the NPL license for pretty much every clan or guild.

So, is there any NPL compliant mechanism for guilds or clans to raise money to support their server/website? Or is this move intended to make TS for-pay for most clans and guilds? Not trying to judge the move here, just trying to understand the intent so my clan can review our options moving forward with our voice solution.

Ah, I missed that thread. But it still doesn't answer my question. A strict reading of the license would imply that if a clan or guild attempts to raise money to pay for their activities, even if they fit every definition of a not-for-profit enterprise, the NPL license is not valid for them. I'm trying to understand if that's true, or if there is a way a clan or guild can raise money that would be NPL compliant.

I think the response of the link is quite explicit:
    This forum is for technical support and if you need more informations about the license agreement, please contact our sales team.
    [email protected]

Please tell them your situation and you will get an answer if this is allowed or not.

That would require me to come up with a scheme and contact them, then repeat that process until they agreed or I ran out of patience. That process would take a very long time and be very inefficient, because I don't know what funding scheme is acceptable, if any. It would be far more preferable for TS to make a statement: no, if you're a clan and you raise money for any expense, you must pay for TS, or yes, you can raise money for your servers if you fill X,Y,Z requirements. Clans would probably change their funding schemes to comply with TS if it is possible. Right now, people are not sure if there IS a way, or if this policy actually does intend to force all clans to pay for TS.

A clear policy answer would help a lot of people move forward. Again, if the answer is, "No, if you raise money you have to pay for TS", then fine. We'll either raise money and pay for TS or switch to a different solution. If the answer is, "Raise money in this way and you'll be fine", then we'll switch how we raise money to pay for forums and whatnot.

Thread Information