Forum

Oct 23 update - Where have the bookmarks/contact/hotkeys.ini moved to?

Windows 7 x64

I updated to 3.0.9 x64 just fine, but my Overlay wasn't updating. I figured it was due to my versions files I installed from the ts3overlay.r-dev.de/ page conflicted with the newer Overlay version that came with this update, so I backed up my bookmarks.ini, contacts.ini, and hotkeys.ini, ans uninstalled everything, along with the configurations.

I reinstalled 3.0.9 x64 but now placing these file does not work. I stated a new Bookmark in TS3, exited, and there is no bookmarks.ini or contacts.ini in the folders I expect, or any other Ts3-related folder. Where has it gone to??

Not in my install folder, or in \Appdata\Roaming\Ts3client\. I searched all of both folders and came up with nothing. has the file location changed? has the format in which this information is kept changed? Being a relatively minor update, I woudl nto expect this... But lo, it is so.

any help would be lovely.
    thanks

PS - i use the Overlay a lot and quite like the changes. But The authors' page does not reflect this newest version, nor is is in the Add-ons section of this webpage. Is the included Overlay different from the one found at ts3overlay.r-dev.de/download now? Are they developed separately?
    Last edited by argh!; October 25th, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: thanks & OS specified

Okay so it seems that ALL of this information is now kept in the \Roaming\TS3Client\settings.db file?

Unless I'm missing something, having these (previously easy to back up and restore) settings all smashed into a single file is a really stupid idea. Comem to think of it, I'm surprised to see no Import/Export function for these files.

I guess I'll revert back to the previous TS3 version until this gets sorted out.

I really hope that I'm jsut having a blonde moment, here, and that TS3 hasn't taken a step backwards in being user-friendly.

As mentioned by the changelog these files were moved to the backup folder and all settings that were previously spread about multiple ini files are now stored into the settings.db file.
    This has the advantage that only one file needs to be read and written, so that the problem that bookmarks were lost when the client shuts down should be gone.

Ok thanks.

Yes I saw the backup folfer when I save those .ini files. However, Now that I've made the bookmarks again from scratch, I have no Backup fodler in which to put my old files in. So... I'm guessing that I should have backed up the settings.db file instead, and to get my original saved .ini information back in action, I ahve to install the odler version os TS, move those .ini files back, update TS. And in the future, backup just that single file?

Yes, you will need to get the old client, then remove the settings.db and move the old files into the configuration folder and update which will convert the files into the settings.db and move them to the backup folder.

The settings.db contains all your bookmarks, hotkeys, contacts and so on, so backing that file up contains most of the settings, except stored passwords and identities.

Okay I got it all sorted out.

Thanks!

Thread Information