Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Angry Teamspeak 3 is not green aka friendly to your electricity bill

For months i have observed on several different machines that teamspeak 3 tries to keep cpu throttle at max auto OC for my systems.

I got 2 system's intel based machines, one 2600k cpu and another 3570k cpu.

I dont know what your electricity bills are but in Denmark 1 KW is amost 0.5$ and and with a clock ratio on 4.8ghz with auto OC throttle 2 machines running 24/7 with teamspeak 3 idling on my clans server 24/7 and mayb spent 4-10 hours a day thats alot of money wasted.

So therefor i ask the coding team to look into flaws and what not that causes so much high throttle for nothing, i could understand if there was 20 people sitting in one channel and all talked at once causing you to receive a lot of data and generate code but that's not the case here, i extensively tested in afk rooms and rooms for my self, its the same.

Ps. Tested on windows 7 ultimate 64bit and windows 8 pro 64bit.

What? I have a single core VPS running ts3, basic site and java bot and CPU usage never goes above 10-15% usage when there are around 45 people on the server.

That's why is very recomended to rent a teamspeak from http://hosting.teamspeakusa.com/

Your teamspeak will be up 24/7 and they do everything for you

After reading what he said i see no reason why both of you think hes talking about running a server.

Hes simply saying the Teamspeak 3 Client makes the CPU stay fully clocked instead of under clocking as it would normally when not in use.

Re: Teamspeak 3 is not green aka friendly to your electricity bill

Well to cut your electricity in half turn one pc off. Then dont just idle in TS, When you dont use your PC just turn it off or pop it into sleepmode.
    Plus check your system for Background running apps and Services. Me personally for the client, i got a notebook w/ a single core and not even a Gig of ram, running on Linux. the mem usage are bellow 69% while using and talk on a channel with 14 clients in room and 1356 clients on the entire server. Plus keep in mind that windows allows all the memory and cpu usage to the TS application. Believe it or not i got some results with Ready Boost (incl. Feature in Vista and up). Takes some load of RAM incl. in games.

Hope it helps a bit

<Z10>BT5

Again the reason why he wants to idle is so he can receive messages. Pokes and probably check connected clients easily. Sleepmode would temporarily suspend the program. Thus you could not do that. I'm in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by wazer View Post
    For months i have observed on several different machines that teamspeak 3 tries to keep cpu throttle at max auto OC for my systems.

I got 2 system's intel based machines, one 2600k cpu and another 3570k cpu.

I dont know what your electricity bills are but in Denmark 1 KW is amost 0.5$ and and with a clock ratio on 4.8ghz with auto OC throttle 2 machines running 24/7 with teamspeak 3 idling on my clans server 24/7 and mayb spent 4-10 hours a day thats alot of money wasted.

So therefor i ask the coding team to look into flaws and what not that causes so much high throttle for nothing, i could understand if there was 20 people sitting in one channel and all talked at once causing you to receive a lot of data and generate code but that's not the case here, i extensively tested in afk rooms and rooms for my self, its the same.

Ps. Tested on windows 7 ultimate 64bit and windows 8 pro 64bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by barricas View Post
    What? I have a single core VPS running ts3, basic site and java bot and CPU usage never goes above 10-15% usage when there are around 45 people on the server.
    Please read topic you surely did not!

Quote Originally Posted by varela1george View Post
    That's why is very recomended to rent a teamspeak from http://hosting.teamspeakusa.com/

Your teamspeak will be up 24/7 and they do everything for you
    Please read topic you surely did not!

Quote Originally Posted by Boby360 View Post
    After reading what he said i see no reason why both of you think hes talking about running a server.

Hes simply saying the Teamspeak 3 Client makes the CPU stay fully clocked instead of under clocking as it would normally when not in use.
    Bingo! Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Z10BT5 View Post
    Well to cut your electricity in half turn one pc off. Then dont just idle in TS, When you dont use your PC just turn it off or pop it into sleepmode.
    Plus check your system for Background running apps and Services. Me personally for the client, i got a notebook w/ a single core and not even a Gig of ram, running on Linux. the mem usage are bellow 69% while using and talk on a channel with 14 clients in room and 1356 clients on the entire server. Plus keep in mind that windows allows all the memory and cpu usage to the TS application. Believe it or not i got some results with Ready Boost (incl. Feature in Vista and up). Takes some load of RAM incl. in games.

Hope it helps a bit

<Z10>BT5
    Its not about taking alot of ram OR using alot of cpu usage(i have plenty 32gb ram!) its about the god damn ts3 software is triggering Intel speedstep / turbo boost, please understand and read about what intel speedstep or intel turbo boost is!

Quote Originally Posted by Boby360 View Post
    Again the reason why he wants to idle is so he can receive messages. Pokes and probably check connected clients easily. Sleepmode would temporarily suspend the program. Thus you could not do that. I'm in the same boat.
    Correct, i want to be able to idle and receive messages, hell even sometimes catch a lamer that spammed all channels and ban the guy once in a while, without my cpu using 98.99% watt usage on my cpu 24/7 which reduce the cpu's life and also triggers other components like ram,fans,motherboard to use more watt without any reason at all.... So lets say it again TS3 is not green when it comes to auto adjusting cpu throttle. Heck i can even alt tab out of battlefield 3 or world of tanks and the cpu will throttle down to 1.56/1.6ghz without being on ts3, but as soon teamspeak 3 is started bam up it goes and stays there! Please developers look into it
    Last edited by wazer; November 12th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.

Thread Information