Forum

Allow users to add themselves to other existing server groups

I have four primary server groups.

-Admin
    -MOD
    -User

These are groups that I manually assign people.

I also have maybe 20 other groups that server no other purpose other than to add an icon next to their name.

Is there any way possible for me to allow anyone that is a User or above to select which ones of the 20 other groups that they would like to add themselves to?

I do not want them to be able to change this server group to Admin. Only the server groups that serve no other roll but to give them an additional icon next to their name.

Is this possible?

Im not so sure about it.
    I think if u add that possibility, the users could also assign "20 other groups" to other users as well.

Partially yes.

You can allow them to assign only those groups by using the i_group_member_add_power on the client and i_group_needed_member_add_power on the group.

So for example you add the i_group_member_add_power and the i_group_member_remove_power both with a value of 1 to the server guest group. Now on all of the 20 groups you want them to assign you set the i_group_needed_member_add_power and i_group_needed_member_remove_power to 1.
    They can now assign the 20 groups to everyone and remove them from everyone as well.
    As you might have noticed there is the little drawback of 'everyone' which you cannot really work around. You can set it up so that the guests cannot remove it from a certain group of people but you cannot specify that they can only do things to themselves not to others.

Another question.

Once a user adds them-self to a group, they lose the permissions of the guest group.

I'm not sure how most people do it, but I would rather not give each one of the 20 groups a full set of permissions. Basically all I want is for them to have a icon.

So when they leave the guest group and join Group A. If group A doesn't have any permissions, they are dead in the water.

Is there any way to "link" permissions from some other main group to these sub groups? That way if I ever need to change one setting, I don't have to apply it to all 20 groups.

Back in the day I used to do server side includes for web pages. I guess I'm looking for the equivalent of that here.

<!--#include virtual="../quote.txt" -->

Quote Originally Posted by mrclaw View Post
    If group A doesn't have any permissions, they are dead in the water.
    But they got a shiny icon

Quote Originally Posted by mrclaw View Post
    Is there any way to "link" permissions from some other main group to these sub groups? That way if I ever need to change one setting, I don't have to apply it to all 20 groups.
    No there is no such thing as one group inheriting permissions from another group. However you could do a little workaround by creating a copy of the guest group and them remove the stuff you added to the guest group, so that the guest group cannot give out the icon groups but only the copy you created. Now when someone joins they need to give themselves the only group available to them, which in turn enables them to give any of the many icon groups you have. Since they are already in a "custom" server group when they do it, they get the permissions from both the copied guest group and the icon group.

Sounds good to me, sounds like confusion to my users. Either way it will work, so I shall try it :P

Thread Information