Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[solved] group icons do not show up for clients, present on remote system

I uploaded a few icons to be used as group icons. They do show up for me in the remote section of the icon selection dialog. The custom icons are set for particular groups, and they do show up on my (admin) client fine.

However, they do not show up for any of the other clients connecting to the server.

I have confirmed that the icons are physically present on the server in /files/virtualserver_1/internal/icons with permissions 644.

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting this? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, the remote icons do not show up in the remote icon panel for clients.
    Last edited by TheDude; November 30th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Oke, and you are using server version bird, and client version apple?
    Wait your OS is cup! well then it can be only one thing:
    FIX YOUR POST so it is proper problem report !

> > http://forum.teamspeak.com/announcement.php?f=100&a=51

First pointer I give you is to look in server chat tab. Does your users that cant see the icons see there errors? what does it say?
    Connection timeout?
    file not found?
    permission?
    doesn't say any error?

Where is the server? how is it connected to the internet?

Here it what it says for Windows clients:

<19:23:13>The icon for channel group "Guild Leader (15)" was not found.
    <19:23:13>The icon for server group "Manager (11)" was not found.

For Windows clients the Virtual Server - Richt-Click - View Icons is grayed out.

The server is a hosted VPS on ample bandwidth, no latency, etc. etc.

Make sure that the filetransfer port (by default tcp 30033) is open and not blocked by any firewall.
    Also if your system is multi homed make sure that you specified a valid ip for the filetransfer_ip parameter.

The filetransfer_ip is the same as the voice_ip, and I don't think that this is a firewall issue since the icons do show up for me as admin.

This seems to be a permission issue of some sort since no one other than the admin can actually View Icons, it's greyed out for everyone else. I am just not clear which permission or lack of permission is preventing clients from downloading the icons.

Oh you mean the context menu option.... for that to be available you need the b_icon_manage permission which at the same time allows you to delete and upload new icons (upload can be limited by i_max_icon_filesize).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Here it what it says for Windows clients:

<19:23:13>The icon for channel group "Guild Leader (15)" was not found.
    <19:23:13>The icon for server group "Manager (11)" was not found.

For Windows clients the Virtual Server - Richt-Click - View Icons is grayed out.

The server is a hosted VPS on ample bandwidth, no latency, etc. etc.
    This error clearly says that whatever icon is configured in i_icon_id permission of those groups, that file(icon/picture) is not on the server at all. There is no other translation of the error shown.

The filetransfer_ip is the same as the voice_ip, and I don't think that this is a firewall issue since the icons do show up for me as admin.

This seems to be a permission issue of some sort since no one other than the admin can actually View Icons, it's greyed out for everyone else. I am just not clear which permission or lack of permission is preventing clients from downloading the icons.
    That is simple,
    - open your client
    - disconnect from any server you might be connected to
    - make sure to delete entire cache(Settings > Options > Security)
    - Close the client
    - start it again and connect
    Now do you see the icons or you get same errors?
    (Your client had the icons in cache since you were the one who uploaded them back in the day you did so.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Oh you mean the context menu option.... for that to be available you need the b_icon_manage permission which at the same time allows you to delete and upload new icons (upload can be limited by i_max_icon_filesize).
    Ok, while that wasn't set it does seem to not have anything to do with whether icons show up for the clients though. It's only upload and delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    This error clearly says that whatever icon is configured in i_icon_id permission of those groups, that file(icon/picture) is not on the server at all. There is no other translation of the error shown.
    Not sure what to tell you other than that the files are present on the server as stated in my original post. "I have confirmed that the icons are physically present on the server in /files/virtualserver_1/internal/icons with permissions 644."

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    That is simple,
    - open your client
    - disconnect from any server you might be connected to
    - make sure to delete entire cache(Settings > Options > Security)
    - Close the client
    - start it again and connect
    Now do you see the icons or you get same errors?
    (Your client had the icons in cache since you were the one who uploaded them back in the day you did so.)
    I have done this, cleared the cache, and I as admin do not experience the problem with the icons. Here is what I see even after I cleared the cache.

http://i.imgur.com/DqYGW.png

The blue and green icons shown in the remote panel are the ones that clients have problems with. Since it works for me as admin the only explanation I have is that it is somehow a permission problem for clients who are not part of the admin group.

[*snip*] View Icons, it's greyed out for everyone else.
    Ok, while that wasn't set it does seem to not have anything to do with whether icons show up for the clients though. It's only upload and delete.
    well you seemed to be talking about the context menu entry for the server name to get the dialog box you screenshotted above. Hence I told you how you can enable that one.

Either way what happens if you clear the cache again, then create a new identity and connect with that new identity to your server - do you see the icons?

If so it might still be a firewall issue somewhere.

EDIT: Also what did you set the filetransfer_ip to?
    Last edited by Chris; November 30th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

as an admin your might have set it to allow everything from "you". It doesn't seem like a problem? well yes, your users have a problem not you.

Distribution?

minimum:
    iptables -nvL
    Last edited by Chris; November 30th, 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: removed insult

Chris and Tomas, thank you both very much for your suggestions on how to sort this out.

Here is what happened; My VPS hosting provider has a web-based control panel to manage the VPSes on one account. Through that interface some basic parameters of the VPS configuration can be changed. In that interface the firewall for the VPS was set to "disabled". However, in the Web Host Manager interface of the VPS the firewall was enabled and was blocking tcp 30033.

Once tcp 30033 was allowed in WHM the icons started showing up for everyone.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the help.

Thread Information