Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

How to disable main chat in a specific channel

I have an AFK lounge, but I want to know how to make that channel so you can't type in it. (I have moderation on so no one can speak, but I don't want people to be able to have chat power in there either.)

Set "b_client_channel_textmessage_send" on that channel and uncheck it.

So I have to do this for all server groups while I'm in that channel?

By default guests have b_client_channel_textmessage_send enabled in the server group which overrides channel permissions.

To fix this in the server groups check negate next to those same permissions.
    Last edited by FontPeg; December 17th, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: context

No, you just have to go to "Channel Permissions" and set the permission on the channel you want have no text messages.
    No need to edit Server Groups, unless they shouldnt have this permission in general.

Note that users with "b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions" permissions (usually SA) can still send text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by FontPeg View Post
    By default guests have b_client_channel_textmessage_send enabled in the server group which overrides channel permissions.

To fix this in the server groups check negate next to those same permissions.
    This is just wrong, server groups do not override anything (unless they got b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions set) but get overridden by any other permission tier.
    Since server guest doesn't have the skip, channel permissions apply to them. The only tiers overriding channel permissions are channel groups and channel client permissions.

So if your channel guest group had the permission to use channel chat then that would override the channel permission and would need to be removed from the channel group permissions.

In addition to Master Chris...
    Quote Originally Posted by permissiondoc
    Sometimes you might want to create a Server Group that negatively affects the
    users that are put into it. For example a "Sticky" group that disallows
    switching of channels or a "Silent" group that removes the privileges to talk
    from the clients that receive it. To allow this the negate flag can be added to
    permissions in a server group. If you are member of a group that has a
    permission flagged with the negate flag, you will not receive the highest value
    of this permission, but rather the lowest that is flagged with negate.

Example:
    You created a Server Group called "Sticky". It contains only one permission:
    i_channel_join_power set to "-1", and a negate flag is applied to this
    permission. Now if I grant sticky group to any client they will not be able to
    switch channels anymore. This also works if the user I put into "Sticky" group
    has a positive i_channel_join_power set, since the negate flag will make sure
    the Tier 1 result will be the lowest negated i_channel_join_power permission,
    so -1 or less than that. The reason why it is not possible to switch channels
    anymore is that normally a channel has no i_channel_needed_join_power set, and
    if a permission is not set it is assumed to be zero. Since -1 is smaller than
    zero, the user won't be able to join.

You know, this would be easier if Teamspeak had a "tick for on/off" permission system... LOL.

It already has, many permissions have a checkbox for "tick on/off"

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdaman View Post
    You know, this would be easier if Teamspeak had a "tick for on/off" permission system... LOL.
    It would also be way less fun and way less versatile / powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Set "b_client_channel_textmessage_send" on that channel and uncheck it.
    Hi there. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread; however - I am now having this issue. In Channel Permission I removed the permission "Send Text Messages To Channel", and yet, people are still able to send text messages over the channel chat system. Help please?

Best Regards

Please make sure that b_client_channel_textmessage_send is not deleted, but merely unchecked in the channel permissions. Also, please make sure your Channel Groups do not override this.

Also check that your servergroups dont have "b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions" enabled.

Thread Information