Forum

Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    7

    Create Channel Power.

    Currently, if I want people to be only able to create sub-channels inside of another channel area, I must assign them a Channel Group with the authority to create a channel, as well as define the depth allowed. These channel groups can be given to a person in mutliple channels, of course - but that means that this group must be assigned to the Client multiple times, wasting time. This also leaves a security risk, in case you have to demote the Client - you must remember to remove that Channel Group from the client from each group you have assigned to them.


    A solution to this, removing the Channel Group necessity in this case, would be a Needed Channel Create Power, as well as a Needed for Sub-Channel, Permanent/Semi/Temp. This would be assigned on a per-channel basis, but only once.

    From there, you assign to a server group a Create Channel Power - and these are compared as normal.


    Implementing this would give many admins one less reason to configure Channel Groups, and for my setup would remove the necessity entirely. This would also spare the TS forums from people that have difficulty understanding the difference between Server and Channel groups and balancing between them, as this would be one more thing that can be confined to a single Server group, which is generally more frequently used and understood.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    September 2012
    Posts
    6,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarus View Post
    These channel groups can be given to a person in mutliple channels, of course - but that means that this group must be assigned to the Client multiple times, wasting time. This also leaves a security risk, in case you have to demote the Client - you must remember to remove that Channel Group from the client from each group you have assigned to them.
    The channel group only needs to be assigned multiple times if you want the user to be able to create channels in multiple different channels / everywhere.
    As for removing that users channel groups: It can be done with 3 clicks. Right click the user -> permissions -> channel groups of client -> remove all channel groups, or Permissions -> channel groups of client -> enter uid -> remove all groups. Instead of entering the uid you can of course use the permissions -> list all clients dialog to locate and drag & drop the user across to the channel groups of client window.


    Quote Originally Posted by Avarus View Post
    A solution to this, removing the Channel Group necessity in this case, would be a Needed Channel Create Power, as well as a Needed for Sub-Channel, Permanent/Semi/Temp. This would be assigned on a per-channel basis, but only once.
    So you want to create at least 2 new permissions and use their needed variant as channel permission. You'd still need to assign that permission to every channel and then assign the power to people. There is no real advantage over the current system, all you'd do is move something that is channel related to server groups.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avarus View Post
    Implementing this would give many admins one less reason to configure Channel Groups, and for my setup would remove the necessity entirely. This would also spare the TS forums from people that have difficulty understanding the difference between Server and Channel groups and balancing between them, as this would be one more thing that can be confined to a single Server group, which is generally more frequently used and understood.
    We like channel groups and I don't see this getting changed in the foreseeable future.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2015, 02:05 AM
  2. Create Channel Power.
    By Avarus in forum Permission System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
  3. [No Bug] Channel Create "needed channel delete power" is not 0
    By Animor in forum Bug Reports [EN/DE]
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 14th, 2012, 09:04 AM
  4. [Resolved] Listening Power + group server channel join power
    By dartzdevil in forum Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •