Forum

get a static ip?

Hello i just installed the 32bit TS server on a windows PC for personal use !
    By personal use i mean :

I have 15 friends with who i play all the time ....and skype or yahoo is..awful ......it`s not a solution ...
    So we have tried TS...the only problem was..that on the servers we connected ...well..we had no privacy .... so i have installed a TS server .

The only problem is that my router is connected via PPPoE ..so every time i reset my router or the internet drops... my IP changes ....any chance to some how have a static IP if..my connection is PPPoE ?
    If i use a vpn..will it work ? or..some how..to have a static Ip..and not the one from the router 192.168.x.xxx ..because on that IP..i can connect only the devices connected to the router ..

Kind Regards,
    Radu

Hi!

Most ISP won't offer a fixed IP to home users, but using dynamic DNS (i.e. http://dyn.com/dns/) will help.
    Your friends will be able to find you actual IP adress via DNS service.

If your router isn't able to update dyndns, you might wan't to install a dyndns update service on you windows host (there are howtos and download links on the dyn.com website).

Regards,

BigMac

Quote Originally Posted by realBigMac View Post
    Hi!

Most ISP won't offer a fixed IP to home users, but using dynamic DNS (i.e. http://dyn.com/dns/) will help.
    Your friends will be able to find you actual IP adress via DNS service.

If your router isn't able to update dyndns, you might wan't to install a dyndns update service on you windows host (there are howtos and download links on the dyn.com website).

Regards,

BigMac
    Thank you for the ultra fast reply...but i`m searching for a free solution ........ is it possible to connect via vpn?

Thank you very much , i will try now and i will reply with my progress thank you very much realBigMac

Thank You very much , it`s working perfect , i have done it with www.noip.com , thank you very much ...i really appreciate it , you made my day , thank you so much !!!!!!!

Best wishes to you

For a bonus, you can download the No-IP Client and have the program auto-update your no-ip address when you start your computer

Quote Originally Posted by Alex4108 View Post
    For a bonus, you can download the No-IP Client and have the program auto-update your no-ip address when you start your computer
    Yeah i did :d thanks for the tip

Thread Information