Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved Channel creation, needed subscribe not applied immediately every time

When you create a channel and set the needed join and needed subscribe power and then are sent into that channel ( I tested with temporary channels only) sometimes people outside that channel can still see what is going on inside the newly created channel and sometimes the permission applies its self immediately. If this were not some kind of bug it would be consistent ever time. But it is not consistent, sometimes it applies and sometimes it does not.

Edit. I think this is a server and client issue. If you have a channel that has been created with no special permissions and then you alter the needed subscribe, everyone on the server can still see what is going on in that channel even though now they should not be able to because their power is lower than the needed. There should be a check added to the server that when ever a channel needed permission is altered or set it should check each client connected and perform the needed alteration. Join powers work flawlessly but it seems that subscribe power is the major issue.

Edit 2.
    I have tested this issue in my backup server (current up to date) and had a few tabs open with different identities all connected to the server. When one of them makes a channel with needed subscribe power at 100 some of the identities cannot see into the new channel and some of them can. That clearly is an issue. And yes, all the tabs connected with different ID's were of the same permission level, guests.

Edit 3.
    I have made a video demonstration. I am exporting now and will upload to youtube and make a fresh reply on here so you can see it.

-------------Post was merged here-------------

Here is the video demonstrating the bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxU16wwi_M&hd=1

Please watch in wide-screen or full screen ( should be HD by default from the link I gave you )

Fresh server with fresh settings. The only settings I changed were channel permissions viewing for server guests and channel admin channel group changes so that it can alter needed join power, needed subscribe etc.

Due to how the bug is I had to repeat the same exact steps over and over several times to demonstrate the bug.

What are your thoughts on this? How should it be so unpredictable when a permission here should equal one exact effect there?
    Last edited by dante696; February 1st, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Watched your video
    I will investigate some time tomorrow. Your Guest can view/modify channel permissions*

I guess it happens when "subscribe all" ist activated in combination:
    With second Tab on the same server
    Or Inactive tab on that server

I also think that it will never happen, when you login as guest first and in tab 2 with your Server Admin account.
    We had such a problem in an older beta. The Client did use the permission from tab 1 instead of asking for tab 2,3,4 etc.

but Thank you for that report
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Guests I have set to only view permissions for channels. Only channel admins can actually modify anything. Since someone is creating a channel, technically they are the channel admin which is why they can actually put permissions on using the permissions tab while creating. But the issue is the subscribe not reliably taking effect every time upon creation. Also additionally if you alter the subscribe after its creation it does not restrict people who now have a power under the requirement.

I can reproduce it everytime, when a channel was created.

My how to:
    Client 1 as Server Admin creates a channel with needed subscribe power, while client 2 is connected with "subscribe all" enabled.

I create a ticket for that problem. Thank you for the report.
    Last edited by dante696; February 1st, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Happy to help. It would be nice if they also fix the editing needed subscribe on a channel so that people who will be now under the requirement so that they will spontaneously find that channel unsubscribed due to the channel edit.

I'm not sure, that a subscribed channel will be unsubscribed after editing the needed subscribed power.

Currently you are correct. I think it should be fixed because it is a privacy issue. Someone edits their channel and sets the subscribe requirement high and then thinks they are safe, when in fact they are only currently safe from people who freshly connect to the server. That is really bad and gives a false sense of privacy/security.

The next server update will fix the problem with the subscription, after a channel was created.

And you can edit the needed subscribe power afterwards on a channel and the the channel will get unsubscribed.
    This won't work, when you edit a permission on clients or groups*

Fantastic job! Thanks for getting this bug sorted out for the next version.

On your second point, were you saying that after the fix it will work after editing an existing channels required subscribe? I tried it on the present server version and it did not unsubscribe on a test client that now had a lack of subscribe after the edit. I had to press the eye twice to get the client to not be able to see inside, as usual. So I assume you mean it will work the correct way after the fix along with the creation-time application of the setting.

What server version are we talking about? "3.0.7-beta (18.02.2013 10:23:35)" ?

Normal standard release version.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The next server update will fix the problem with the subscription, after a channel was created.
    I highlighted the important part above....

Thread Information