Forum

Solved [Suggestion] Channel/Server Structure

One of my clan members came up with a fairly awesome idea... his question to me was "Why is teamspeak just one long list of channels, wouldn't it make more sense to create multiple columns?"

My current server has 244 channels due to us having over 300 members over 3 games that require quite a lot of structuring, this would be easier to navigate for both members and staff if we were given the option to change our server layout to something like the attachment below.

Our suggestion: Allow server admins to set columns and/or rows to the teamspeak server for improved navigation on a large TS server.

It could be a 2x2 server, 2x5, 2x5+1 (as displayed in the image), 3x3.. This would be extremely useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chris; February 6th, 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed advertising

I think you searching for "Sub channel's"
    this feature is since many many versions in teamspeak ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ulfh1 View Post
    I think you searching for "Sub channel's"
    this feature is since many many versions in teamspeak ^^
    Please re-read my suggestion, i know exactly what sub channel's do and it is not this.
    Last edited by Chris; February 6th, 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed advertising

Requires far too much space, would be cumbersome to navigate and generally not be looking good.

How would you want to put 3x5 or even only a 2x2 in this window?

Long story short: Rejected.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah I know what you want, but for this you can host several virtual servers.
    But more is atm it is not possible ^^

And I think this feature wouldn't come ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Requires far too much space, would be cumbersome to navigate and generally not be looking good.

How would you want to put 3x5 or even only a 2x2 in this window?

Long story short: Rejected.

1. You removed details from my posts and claimed it was advertising, It was not advertising, it was an informative link. I read the rules, and as i was not advertising my server, there would be no reason for you to remove it. Overzealous moderation win! You should put "Don't post links to your servers" in the rules rather than "Do not advertise".

2. You're thinking it would create new partitions on the client, which is where your thought process is going wrong.

3. It would be an option for the server owner to choose between the normal one column, or multi-column variations, not a complete change. Using my server as an example, it would look like this, white spaces are where i cut out spacers.

In this image, you see 1 row, 5 columns. 1x5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tslot.png 
Views:	437 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	7566

Not everyone runs TeamSpeak in full screen, in fact those who do are the minority.
    You would want the server to force something on the client which is not what we want.
    Last edited by Chris; February 7th, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

You wouldn't need to run it in fullscreen. there is something often used called a "scrollbar", i went fullscreen to show what exactly i am talking about. I thought that kind of thing would have been fairly obvious to someone who is on the Teamspeak Team.

It would be a display choice on the server, the client would then get the parameter from the server for that display option and then display the server as wanted by the admins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuiq. View Post
    It would be a display choice on the server, the client would then get the parameter from the server for that display option and then display the server as wanted by the admins.
    Which is exactly the point, we don't want a certain view / style / whatever forced on the client by the server....

In any case this is not possible and won't be implemented. End of Topic.

The way TeamSpeak has its channel structure is called a tree structure. They have been used for years because it shows the organization of things very well in terms of parent vs child entities. In your windows explorer you will likely see the same structure as teamspeak for your folders.

Lightbulb Multiple columns display

Hello,

I read another topic of it a year ago talking about this suggestion, but it was rejected and I would like to propose again, but in another form.

I am admin of a server, and it is true that when many people are connected, you can never see everyone at once, have to go down the scrollbar, and when you are playing it is not really practical.
    So the idea to display the tree with canals and members in multiple columns is good, but it's just a client-side display option, not a setting on the server. It could better use the second screen rather than using only 20% of its width.

Thread Information