Forum

High Packet Loss & Low Ping

Hello all, I'm going to do my best to provide as much information as possible.

My problem is when running my Teamspeak server on a VPS I rent, with around 6-10 people in a channel I get 30-60% packet loss while maintaining 40 or so ping. The really interesting part however is if there are only two people in a room, despite there being 10 in another, the packet loss goes down to around 4% and we can hear each other more or less fine.

My control panel is PLESK
    I use is CENTOS 6
    I'm using 3.0.6.1 Server x86

Also when I ping my domain while people are on Teamspeak I get 6% packet too, which seems that Teamspeak is slowing down the whole show. However when downloading and uploading with VPS I can get 2mbs upload and 2.8mbs download, which is more than enough for Teamspeak which tells me at best uses 40kbs.

My host claim there's nothing wrong on their end although it is a shared 100Mbit line, my problem is consistent, doesn't feel like other uses are screwing things up for me :/

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention, I have tried with the firewall on PLESK allowing all incoming and outgoing connectins.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Hexdragon; February 10th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.

Hi. Try to install dstat and execute the following: dstat -clmn

Then monitor if for some time and try to see if there is anything common with packet loss spikes and server load or network.

Maybe a UDP filter on the firewall. Some VPS habe filters which will trigger is a certain number of UDP pakets per second arrive.

Thanks for the replies - I asked my host about UDP with no luck, they claim there is nothing that would affect Teamspeak - however I did try with Ventrilo to test if another software would work and to my surprise Vent operated without any problems at all.

Since then, I've tried opening my ports via iptables, Plesk firewall - but no one has ever had a problem connecting so this seems unlikely to be causing an issue.

The exact process seems to be - two clients handle fine, almost no packet loss - but soon as we hit 5-6 packet loss shoots up and we get disconnects - during this time the ping stays under 40.

My CPU & RAM on server are all fine also.

All I can really think of is maybe Teamspeak is conflicting with Centos 6 or Plesk, or maybe using more Bandwidth than is claims -40kbs upload is nothing really - but I really can't understand why Vent works fine but not Teamspeak.

Bit of a mind bender... I'll have a poke at dstat tonight by the way ^^ Thanks.

I can't speak for CentOS 6 since my server is running CentOS 5.9 (8GB RAM and 4 vCores), there are no such problems even with 50+ users on the server.

Btw if you don't see anything out of normal in the dstat you might try using MTR (windows is WinMTR http://winmtr.net/).

It's a kind of trace route with packet loss. That way you can identify if the packet loss is on some router or in the server.

Hi there.

We are currently getting the exact same problem as Hexdragon. We recently moved VPSs and our new teamspeak server is having issues like mentioned by Hexdragon.

We've tried reinstalling teamspeak, we tried using normal mySQL instead of SQLite, checked bandwidth usage (fine), checked CPU (fine - we've got 4 cores), checked RAM usage (fine - we've got 6 gigs), I/O is fine. Our old VPS was using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and now we're using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. 2 people talking is fine - when we hit 4 or 5 people we still keep our low ping but have high packet loss on the TS server (for all people on the server)

EDIT: We have also stress tested the VPS and asked our host (Reg-123 VPS) to check the server from their end - all looks good.

EDIT 2: We also checked the server's IP tables for anything weird (looked all good). However, we are using PLESK. We went from PLESK version 10 on our old server to 11 on our new server.

EDIT 3: We tend to see the issue happen at around 50 kb/s. Similar story as Hexdragon - 100 mbit line etc. This also happens for all people helping us figure this problem out (not limited to one person on the server).

EDIT 4: We are also running TS Server version 3.0.6.1 but x64 version. Not x86.

EDIT 5: We are not running any UDP shaping / filtering on our VPS.

EDIT 6: Traceroute didn't show anything unusual.

@Hexdragon: What version of PLESK are you running?

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by CWolf; February 20th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

To follow up on this.

We did two more trace routes and found packet loss was occurring at the final location (our VPS). We contacted our VPS provider (123-reg) and explained the whole situation for them. After a few replies they finally did some UDP tweaks in relation to our server. They didn't provide any more information than that so I can't be more specific, sorry.

It looks like the changes they made fixed the problem but I'll hold out for saying it has fixed it until a few weeks down the line. At the moment our tests that used to reproduce the problem (4-5 people on the server all talking at the same time) no longer causes the problem.

I hope this helps for anyone else who gets this issue.

Thread Information