Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, as I wrote in the previous post to this topic, permissions from channel groups only take effect in the channel the user has that channel group.
So you need just ONE channel group (e.g. clan member) for an infinite number of clans.
All Clan channels get the same needed join power, the channel group gets the required join power.
Now all you need to do is assign members of clan A the member group (channel group) in channel A. Since they only have this group in channel A, they will fail to join channel B, even though it has the same needed join power as channel A. Because they don't have the member group in channel B they also do not have the permission that originates from the member group in channel B (since it only works in channel A where they do have that group).
The same goes for members of Clan B who only get the group in channel B, it's the same group but assigned in a different channel to different people. They will only be able to join channel B because they don't have the permissions in another channel.
So with a sample server structure like...
Server
  • Lobby (0)
  • Starcraft (10)
    • Clan A Channel 1 (20)
    • Clan A Channel 2 (20)
    • Clan A Channel 3 (20)
    • Clan B Channel 1 (20)
    • Clan B Channel 2 (20)
    • Clan B Channel 3 (20)
    • Channel 1 (10)
    • Channel 2 (10)
    • Channel 3 (10)
  • League of Legends (10)
    • Friends Channel 1 (20)
    • Friends Channel 2 (20)
    • Friends Channel 3 (20)
    • Channel 1 (10)
    • Channel 2 (10)
    • Channel 3 (10)
  • World of Warcraft (10)
    • Guild A (20)
      • Officers (30)
      • Raid (20)
      • Group 1 (20)
      • Group 2 (20)
      • Group 3 (20)
    • Guild B (20)
      • Officers (30)
      • Raid (20)
      • Group 1 (20)
      • Group 2 (20)
      • Group 3 (20)
    • Raid 1 (10)
    • Raid 2 (10)
    • Raid 3 (10)
    • Group 1 (10)
    • Group 2 (10)
    • Group 3 (10)
  • Moderators (30)
  • AFK (0)

and Channel Groups like...
Game (10)
GameGroup (20)
GameOfficer (30)

If I had to add a channel I'd just set it's join power. Easy. Then I'd have to set up each client to access the channel. If I had 100 people that needed access to the channel I'd be making 100 changes, while sifting through 500 accounts correct? Additionally, if I want identifier icons for each user for the games they play I still need to separately manage Server Groups since a user can only belong to one Channel Group at a time. Also, is there a way to audit existing Channel Group permissions? If I want to check Server Group permissions there is an easy to see list of who is in the group, to the best of my knowledge nothing similar exists for Channel Groups?

Perhaps the most boggling thing for me is that if all these groups needed a single ranked structure then power level would work like a charm. In fact, if I had some kind of toggle on power level like =20 (or a checkbox) that made power level function as = instead of >= it would work as well.

Working power levels now...
Server
  • Lobby (0)
  • Game (10)
    • Officers (30)
    • Guild (20)
    • Channel (10)

with Server Group power levels...
Game (10)
Guild (20)
Officers (30)
but obviously this breaks down when you need more than one set of linear rankings

Imagine if the server was set up like this (small sample from above)...
Server
  • Lobby (0)
  • World of Warcraft (=60)
    • Guild A (=61)
      • Officers (=62)
      • Raid (=61)
      • Group (=61)
    • Guild B (=63)
      • Officers (=64)
      • Raid (=63)
      • Group (=63)
    • Raid (=60)
    • Group (=60)

then I could simply set each Server Group join power...
WoW (=60)
Guild A (=61)
Guild A Officers (=62)
etc

So if someone was in WoW and Guild A they could access all channels with =60 and =61.
Similarly if you needed a mixture of = power levels and >= power levels you could put all your = power levels at values above 50 and lower numbers for >= control.