Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opus Codec

Opus Codec

I have installed the latest beta of the server and client of Teamspeak and was doing some testing with the Opus Codec. It sounds great but the bandwidth will only go up to 11.87 KiB/s. Is there any way to make this higher?

I would like slightly better quality opus for the voice codec. When I compared it via playing music through a virtual audio cable device to the beta server I was able to have stunning full quality with the stereo version of the codec. Then I alternated between the maximum quality normal opus codec and the same with CELT Mono. The CELT Mono codec had a little better quality than the voice Opus codec.

RadarGaming
    It is not only the bandwith, that goes up here. It's the bandwith and the quality.
    You could even set a bot with continous transmission into a music channel and he would send 2-3 KiB/s ony, when nothing was played.

Only the Celt codec makes the bandwith much higher and the quality from 0-10 is exactly the same.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Morthawt, did you compare the voice codes with music?
    I was just thinking, with voice specific codec dsp / bandwidth settings, the result of a perceived quality comparison might be shifted by that. As an illustration, a voice codec might be cutting off frequency ranges definitely not used by the human voice (nearly no matter what quality perceived) to reduce bandwidth. In that case, at the same bandwidth the less efficient codec would sound "better" with music, with pure voice potentially the other way round. Don't know about the inner workings of Celt or Opus though, hence just noting, not implying - I've yet to first meet with the much awaited Opus altogether.

There is a definite difference. I compared maximum quality of all 3 best codecs and celt-mono beats the quality of the standard opus codec but the stereo opus codec beats everything hands down. That is why I would like to see a little better quality on the voice opus codec if possible. It is not a major big deal but it would just be nice to technically have a "better" quality or "equal" rather than a slight decrease. And it was slight..

I need a way to send music over teamspeak high quality 96k or so. Can it be done with the opus music codec?

Unless you stream music I can't hear any difference between Opus Voice / Music at quality 10.
    Opus Music is specifically for music.

I think it would just be nice to see the quality levels represent an even higher quality at the level 10 at least on the voice codec to compare to the CELT Mono.

The Opus codec has the ability to use incredible quality with very minimal delay which makes it one of a kind and really the best codec out from that standpoint. were talkin over 100k easy.

Just because something is theoretically/technically possible doesn't mean it is good, profitable or making sense.
    Wasting considerable amount of bandwidth for no noticeable improvement clearly doesn't make sense.

Ok, I'm new to this [Opus Voice] now my problem is I cant even choose it? can anyone help on this?

Quote Originally Posted by exilelrrp View Post
    Ok, I'm new to this [Opus Voice] now my problem is I cant even choose it? can anyone help on this?
    if you have the server teamspeak 3, the server need to be upgrade from release 02.03.2013 3.0.7 it work only with 3.0.7 server and client 3.0.10.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterpl View Post
    if you have the server teamspeak 3, the server need to be upgrade from release 02.03.2013 3.0.7 it work only with 3.0.7 server and client 3.0.10.
    I have the latest 3.0.10, when you say the server you talking about example "Gameservers" ?

He's talking about the Teamspeak server you connect to. For enabling Opus, it must have been upgraded, too.
    You can see the server version after connection by clicking on the root on the left tree (server name), then looking at the info area on the right.

I can't seem to select opus either. Updated my client and my server which I have physical access to. What gives? server is at 3.0.7 and client is 3.0.10

Thread Information