Forum

Question 2 TS3 installations on one machine

Hello,
    I've got a little problem with my TS3 Server, especially with the updating process. The easiest way to solve all my problems would be to install a brand new TS3 Server on the same machine. Normally this would mean that i deinstall the current serversoftware and just install the new. But this would mean losing all my channel, channels descriptions etc. And it would take some time creating all channels, all server and channel groups, etc. And the 3 virtual server which i am runing atm would not work effectivly for a week or more.

So my idea is to install a new TS3 server software on the same machine (of course into a differention folder), creating again 3 virtual server with completly different ports than the current ones. If this would be possible i could spend any time i want on adjusting this new 3 virtual servers (without any need to hurry, and no distraction by guys asking when their personal channel is restored and blablabla), and as soon as everything is finished i would turn of the current ones and basically just replace the current broken version with a working one.

Is this possible?
    Can I use the same license file, temporarily for two different installations on the same machine?
    Will the two serversoftwares running at the same time interfere with each other?
    Will the deinstallation process of the current serversoftware break the future serversoftware?

Another complelty different solution to my problem would be, if i could change the ts3server.sqlitedb from restoring the channel AND permission settings to ONLY RESTORE THE CHANNELS (description).
    Is this possible?
    What would happen if i just delete all informations regarding the permissions in the ts3server.sqlitedb....could I integrate a ts3server.sqlitedb containing only channel settings into a ts3server.sqlitedb containing no channels but all permission settings?

I hope you can help me with that. Thank in advance,
    fastgiga

Why make it complicated when things can be so easy?

Just shutdown the server, wait till it's shutdown and then extract all the files from the new server zip into the directory where you put your existing server, overwriting any files it asks you to and then finally start the server again.
    It will update the server and keep all the settings, takes no longer than 5 minutes tops.

but doing this would result in every error in the permission settings to be transfered to the new installation.
    Last edited by fastgiga; March 6th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Have you ever tried the serverquery command "permreset"? It will wipe all your "errors in the permission settings".

Sounds good, but what about the permissions which don't even exist in the database?
    Im talking about those permissions which had to be added manually during one of the earliest update from the beta to the live version.

will they be created automatically if this command is entered....because if not...then its no use for me^^

permreset
    Restores the default permission settings on the selected virtual server and
    creates a new initial administrator token. Please note that in case of an
    error during the permreset call - e.g. when the database has been modified or
    corrupted - the virtual server will be deleted from the database.

No one in his right mind would use such a command without a valid backup of the database, would they?

Sory to say this, but in my humble opinion this does not realy answer my question. "restoring default permission settings" yeah great but again: what are the "default settings"? And if its that easy to create the new settings, than why was it necassairy to update many of them manually?

seriously people.

Last time I was doing upgrades it consisted of: (on linux)
    - downloading new version
    - unpacking it in separate folder
    - prepare command to move all needed (configuration & data) files from one folder to another
    - modify startup script to use new location
    - telnet to server and shut it down
    - confirm prepared move command and wait for it to complete
    - start the server
    downtime? hardly 30-60seconds.
    to understand a bit better here is file structure from specific subdirectory:
    - ts305 (so far were running on this version)
    - ts306 (new version unpacked here)
    - start (script/batch/shortcut to start one of the server version)

The only problem I had last time doing this for someone else was that I missed a file(ts3server.sqlite :-)) ).
    So one more restart in next minute and it was all shiny no data lost.

in windows I would probably do it similiary.
    - extract new server files in separate folder
    - prepare way to start it
    - select all needed files with configuration and data including files in file browser in one fileBrowser window
    - stop server
    - use compression program and make a backup file from old server including entire setup in it.
    - move those selected files to new server version(copy takes more time)
    - start server
    BEWARE: I can't write a guide for you. since you haven't said what windows are you using and if your server runs on windows to begin with. Make sure you can see all hidden files. Make sure you got completely all files needed. And if you use mysql with teamspeak backup that database as well.
    Next time don't ask so generic questions. Give us more details. People are willing to help more then...

The way Chris described also works quite well. Just you can't abort and fallback so easily.

btw, you don't need to restore channels if you start newer server version with old data files. Daa. It is build for that!

You can test/train this somewhere else, with empty server few channels, few users, and some file in files browser.
    No need to do monkey jongling with ports,licenses and permreset....

Best thing, assuming you are not into this technical stuff that much, and you just want to use the server featues it provides, find someone who can do these upgrades with ease(IT employe or ITguru) and other stuff for you. It is going to save you time, it will be more reliable....

I know you all just want to help, but i would take hours to explain everyone in detail why i just cant update my server the usual way. I already explained that the permission settings are corrupted. You dont need to no why i cant update the server, hence i asked a couple of questions in my original post.

If someone would just answer these everthing would be fine....but no, nowadays everyone behaves like those stupid telephon bots you are "talking" witf if you have a question to the support of any PC product...just writing whats already written in the FAQ without even reading the op.

Seriously, i know how to update a ts3 server. And I am realy thankfull for you all spending so much time on trying to help me...but answering my question would be sooooo much faster. Sure, you cant realy help me if you dont know the problem, but since i don't know the exact problem despite that i am "into this technical stuff" very much and i'm lacking the english skills to explain everything its no use arguing about it.

If at leat someone would say "NO, nothing you proposed in the op is possible", than i could think of a way to easily explain my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fastgiga View Post
    Can I use the same license file, temporarily for two different installations on the same machine?
    Will the two serversoftwares running at the same time interfere with each other?
    Will the deinstallation process of the current serversoftware break the future serversoftware?
    1. with NPL it is not allowed. But I heard that you could if you watch your total slots for them below 512.
    2. if you select different ports for the second one.(query filetransfer voice)
    3. idk, it could uninstall only last server installed. :-(

Proposal: why don't you first fix your servers? You said you have 3. You could use your current server create another 3 virtualservers, and migrate things into them. When you are done, delete first 3 servers, change slots and voila(same thing, different ports but using one server). You can upgrade normaly.
    I personaly also had a txt file that served me as a backup snapshot. But I only edit it when I want to do full reinstall. With it I just dump the contents name and channel settings into it. in past I also did permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by fastgiga View Post
    Another complelty different solution to my problem would be, if i could change the ts3server.sqlitedb from restoring the channel AND permission settings to ONLY RESTORE THE CHANNELS (description).
    Is this possible?
    What would happen if i just delete all informations regarding the permissions in the ts3server.sqlitedb....could I integrate a ts3server.sqlitedb containing only channel settings into a ts3server.sqlitedb containing no channels but all permission settings?
    Removing all permissions and dumping in default one, is indeed possible(done it several times). You could do it over sqlitedb(it is not so simple! however), or as other proposed permreset.
    In normal conditions default permissions would be what you have when you install teamspeak3 server or create new virtualserver.
    serverGroups: Server Admin(power 75), Normal(power 50), Guest
    channelGroups: Channel Admin, Operator, Voice(power 25?), Guest

Your english isn't that bad if you didn't need a dictionary for those posts ;-) I met quite many people afraid to speak in english.....
    Last edited by Tomas; March 9th, 2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: "in english"

Thread Information