Forum

Solved Opus is great but...

Is there anyway I and others can have some more bitrates? Such as for voice I like to see 12KB/s or 96kbps. For music I would like to see the following 2 additional bitrates the first is 16KB/s or 128kbps and would also like to see another which is a bit higher which is 20KB/s or 160kbps. If for what ever reason the writers will only agree on one additional bitrate for music I would choose the 20KB/s of 160kbps. Yes I know this would create more bandwidth usage but that is fine as I was aware of it before I asked.
    Last edited by jayw_1998; March 4th, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spellchecking

Would be nice yeah. For people with bandwidth to spare, extra quality is always nice.

and the codec has support for up to 250kbps or so. Mind you its not implemented in TS. but the codec does have support for it.

TeamSpeak is a voice communication software and wasting huge amount of bandwidth for no or only a marginal improvement is not desirable. 95% of all users run it alongside other applications (e.g. games) that require bandwidth as well, not to mention that not everyone has bandwidth to waste, in fact one could argue that only very few people have.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    TeamSpeak is a voice communication software and wasting huge amount of bandwidth for no or only a marginal improvement is not desirable. 95% of all users run it alongside other applications (e.g. games) that require bandwidth as well, not to mention that not everyone has bandwidth to waste, in fact one could argue that only very few people have.
    I agree not everyone has bandwidth to waste but some do and would prefer a higher bitrate. Also for those who don't can simply select something lower to the needs of that server. I was certainly NOT asking you to take away previous options I was asking to add an option for those who can see the benefit and I looked up the codec myself and it can go clear up to 512kbps. So I was within reason for asking for a higher bitrate, well within reason in fact.

Opus is great indeed. I finally put my audio channel back up-- celt was too bad quality, and started loosing packets at higher bitrate. and it was mono... Opus music is doing a great job. I put it at highest quality with no problems at all. (did they implement an extra delay to get it streaming flawless? I couldn't force myself to read the full article).
    I believe TS is capping the bandwith usage at 11.87kbps, but since this seems to be no problem for my, average internet, old laptop driven home server, or any of my clients, i would love to see a cap increase to 20 or 30 kbps, which would allow us to stream music at a decent quality.
    Everybody wants the best possible audio quality on their channels. It's always trail and error what the server and clients can take. If you experience packet loss, it's easy enough to put the bandwidth a tat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Teamspeak is not only a voice communication software.. different people use it with different intentions, though voice will indeed be the main purpose.
    There is a huge difference in quality by going up from 10 to 16 kbps. i don't understand why celt is allowed almost 14kb/s and and opus only about 11. will it really be such a bandwidth hog when you put the maximum up about 10 kb? i think for the average user it will be no problem.

I wondered if this was the issue with Opus Music causing horrible artifacting, given that the max bandwidth usage is lower than celt's capacity. I just wish it would be addressed quickly though

Quote Originally Posted by PimpleMaze View Post
    will it really be such a bandwidth hog when you put the maximum up about 10 kb? i think for the average user it will be no problem.
    Despite it being 2013, there are lots of places in the world where people don't have 30kb/s upload capabilities. If we were to offer higher bandwidth, 80% of people would use it just because they don't care or know better and think the higher the better, which isn't necessarily true. As such many of those who have slow upload would complain and think TeamSpeak is crap because they get crappy sound, which is not TeamSpeak's fault but the respective admin's fault for bumping to bandwidth consumption to ridiculous values.
    TeamSpeak is a software that will run in the background for most people while primarily doing other stuff (e.g. gaming, working, w/e) where it is undesirable to use too much bandwidth.

Be careful whit copyright of the music

Teamspeak is a great thing and very useful and needs not a lot of ressources. Thats the reason because it is so popular and all the gamers like TS. On my server it needs whit codec opus voice for arround 50 peoples at maximum 60kbit/s and that is nice! Thats a practic value not the theoretical.

We don's spread music whit TS. Somtimes is a problem whit the copyright from the music. So i dont need better codec.

I'm very happy whit the new opus codec.

Cool Increase bandwidth/Augmenter la bande passante

Hi,

I speak french so I translate with google translate: p

On my server I have a channel with a radio when I listen on TeamSpeak and direct mode we note that the quality is not the same. I have changed the properties of the channel, the best I could find is "Opus Music" at 10. But a difference is still being felt.
    My question is: Is it possible to increase the bandwidth for one person (if not the best for all channel), for example 50kios?

Thank you in advance

Forum is english only
    Last edited by Chris; May 17th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Thread Information