Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved 2 bugs involving temp password system

I made a video demonstrating the two bugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKhBnIsfhPQ&hd=1

Basically "ignore server password" is preventing the usage of temporary passwords and then a channel with a forward slash in it fails to send a person there from a temp password.

"Ignore server password" should let people get into the server without requiring a password, sure, but it should also allow the usage of temp passwords.

The bug with the channel names will be fixed with the next version.

As for temporary passwords being ignored when you have the ignore_password permission this is desired behavior and working as intended.

It says "Allows the client to ignore the serverpassword on connect" which is all it should (and was doing fine) do. The server was updated to let people type a password and have it be checked against the temporary passwords to see if there is a special circumstance that needs to be taken into consideration, such as someone getting into a locked channel just because they connected with a temp password.

But currently the permission is not just allowing a client to ignore the "server password" because it is not checking any password input, as if it were using the old system where there was no server password and no other passwords were checked. This is behaviour was superseded by the server still checking password inputs in case a temporary password matches the input one.

I would hope you forward this to the developers so they can evaluate what I have said.

It "allows the client to ignore the serverpassword on connect" and that is exactly what it is doing... temporary passwords are also passwords checked on connect, if you ignore them due to the permission then they don't get checked and this is what should happen.

But the permission does not mention ignoring the password system as a whole, it simply says it lets you connect without needing the server password. Server passwords and temporary passwords are different systems which is why the server was updated to allow temp passwords to function when the server password isn't required. If it remains in its current state then there is nothing anyone can do about it. I just think this is dead wrong in this instance. I will leave it at that.

Beancounter
    Just treat them as "temporary server password" and it should be fine.

PS:
    Quote Originally Posted by changelog
    === Server Release 3.0.3 19 March 2012
    + added temporary serverpasswords (servertemppasswordadd, servertemppassworddel, servertemppasswordlist)
    check docu for details

We all know that temporary passwords are possible and you put a time limit on it. If I set a time limit of 999 days I expect it to expire on the date it says it will expire on. How is it a desired effect to have all the temporary passwords getting wiped every time a server crashes or is restarted when the people who set it expects it to last 999 days? Makes zero sense to me. I got multiple complaints when I woke up about this and all of them had the tone of "I set it on 999 days, why did you delete it?" or something very similar.

Thread Information