Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Lightbulb VMware Appliance

Using VMware is a easier for me than building dedicated hardware (and means I can move them around based on need / load etc).

Quite some time ago I came across a TS2 server running on Linux as an appliance. It worked fine back then, but I wasn't too surprised to find out recently that the TS3 clients (Android and Win7 64bit) couldn't connect to the older server.

My question is two-fold:
    1. Is there an existing TS3 appliance I can download (e.g. will run on the free VMWare Player)
    2. If there isn't an appliance, would there be any issue in me creating one?

If it ends up being the latter, the only download I can think to offer would be a nano-sized Linux image and some very simple instructions on how to install the latest TS3 server. A ready-to-roll TS3 appliance might be nice, but I don't think I have time to overcome challenges around ensuring TS3 would always be the latest version + making sure every server instance is unique when it launches for the first time.

Thanks!

TS2 and TS3 are incompatible with each other, you need TS2 client to connect to TS2 servers.
    There are no appliances I know of and while you could possibly create one for yourself, you wouldn't be allowed to share it with anyone else (see EULA 6 and 7).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    TS2 and TS3 are incompatible with each other, you need TS2 client to connect to TS2 servers.
    There are no appliances I know of and while you could possibly create one for yourself, you wouldn't be allowed to share it with anyone else (see EULA 6 and 7).
    Thanks. Eventually found the FAQ re. TS2 - understandable.

Yep, EULA was a third reason too. But if a nice and tiny appliance was produced it might be nice to donate to TeamSpeak themselves to offer as quick-start download for others.

Quickstart? A fresh and running server is downloaded, installed and started in less than 2 minutes. Out of the box...

Thread Information