Forum

Solved have to be in a certan server group to join a channel

just an idea but it would be cool to make it so only people who are in a server group say Media can join a channel called media and no one else and also have a Dev one which Media can't join and Dev can't join Media. Setting join power dose not work as if Dev is Higher than Media Dev can join Media room which is what i don't want to happen

Thumbs up

100% agree with this suggestion, iv countless times come across situation on various Teamspeak servers i help manage were this simple requirement is needed however because of the current (im my opinion) over complicated permissions system that is group independent you cant not do this as, when working with groups one group will always our rank (in permissions) another

Senario example

i have two rooms
    i wish to allow only certain accesss to thease rooms via unique groups, one for each room
    i require both groups to have the same permissions set accept for channel access.

Group 1 can join channel A but not B
    Group 2 can join channel B but not A

they are both set with level 50 permissions.

Another Senario

I have three rooms, of wich two are uniquely Age restricted e.g

Room 1 - General room (no age rating)
    Room 2 - Room for Under 18 (age restricted)
    Room 3 - Room for Over 18 (age restricted)

now the current way i do this is set a group for each of the age restricted rooms the under 18's (permisison set 70) having the higher permission set as they need the higher level of protection (higher permissions meaning no one but themselves and staff (permission 75+) can access the room

and another group for +18 (permission set 60)
    and both rooms access resticted to their respective permission sets

this seem all well and fine untill you realise there is no way of preventing the under 18's group from entering the over 18's channel other than to lower thier permission set, this then leaves their room vunerable to any one with higher permissions that what you lower them to.

dilema!

To be honist i think the permissions system needs to be totally re-written to be more akin to let say how the major forum permissions work there group based permissions where you can have multipul groups that have their own individual permissions not this numerical system we have now its to linnier, and dose not asllow for alot of flexability.

Do a little forum search and you would've found, this was requested many times and is already possible using -> channel groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Do a little forum search and you would've found, this was requested many times and is already possible using -> channel groups.
    Still does not solve the problem that you cannot have a group that has identical privalage permissions but is only able to join certain rooms, there will always be one permission set higher and one lower so your still running in to the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal-Access View Post
    Still does not solve the problem that you cannot have a group that has identical privalage permissions but is only able to join certain rooms, there will always be one permission set higher and one lower so your still running in to the same problem
    It does solve your problem. I assume you only read the first post so I will encourage you to keep reading. Somebody basically has the same setup as you and there are clear instructions of how to set it up using channel groups. No, you don't have to go through all 7 pages, it's all on the 1st page.

it does not solve the problem i have tried to set it up using channel groups but it does not work the way i need it to.

Quote Originally Posted by megatronp View Post
    it does not solve the problem i have tried to set it up using channel groups but it does not work the way i need it to.
    Doesn't work for my situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTKA View Post
    It does solve your problem. I assume you only read the first post so I will encourage you to keep reading. Somebody basically has the same setup as you and there are clear instructions of how to set it up using channel groups. No, you don't have to go through all 7 pages, it's all on the 1st page.
    Got to page 4 reading through all posts on each page, some come close to what im after but they all in essence have the same problem in one shape or form your always left with one group having higher permissions than another, and in my scenario i cant have that

i need all of my members to have identical server-wide permission level of 50, but still be restricted to certain rooms.
    even when using the channel groups it dose not give the desired effect.

hence the need for this option, it would quite simply be a very effective and simple solution to a very badly designed and over complicated (in my opinion) permissions system.
    Last edited by Terminal-Access; April 22nd, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: de lexifying my post!

Give them all the permissions they need to have server wide, which excludes the i_channel_join_power since that is what you don't want them to have server wide but only in a certain channel (as you want them limited to a certain channel or selection of channels).

Now you create one single channel group which gives them the i_channel_join_power of say 50. Now you just setup each channel to require an i_channel_needed_join_power of 50.
    Just assign each member that same channel group in whatever channel you want them to have access to. Works like a charm from what you described your situation.

is it possible to get a vid showing me how to do this i must be a major noob and still failing to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by megatronp View Post
    is it possible to get a vid showing me how to do this i must be a major noob and still failing to make it work
    Since I have seen this grouping on many servers I made a quick video.
    Sorry if I'm a little fast, just pause the video if you can't follow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYpi-Q4B14

Thread Information