Forum

General Questions for finding a hosting plan for installing TeamSpeak3 server

1) Can I use a web hosting plan to install TeamSpeak 3? If not, what hosting plan is required? Dedicated, VPS, etc?

2) What are the IDEAL server specs for hosting a 512-man (or at least 100-man) TeamSpeak 3 server? Should this be VPS/Dedicated. I have a limited budget and can't go too far, but still need quality.

3) What are the most affordable, cost efficient - yet quality insured hosts that are recommended? I'm currently hosting a website over HostGator.

- Please and thank you for the reply!

Any help here please?
    Last edited by dante696; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:22 PM.

You usually cannot use a web hosting plan, as running TeamSpeak requires you to be able to execute applications directly on the server and hence requires shell access, which you usually do not have with web hosting plans... Not to mention that with web hosting plans usually several hundred website plans run on a single machine, which would seriously decrease performance if it is possible in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You usually cannot use a web hosting plan, as running TeamSpeak requires you to be able to execute applications directly on the server and hence requires shell access, which you usually do not have with web hosting plans... Not to mention that with web hosting plans usually several hundred website plans run on a single machine, which would seriously decrease performance if it is possible in the first place.
    Should I be using a VPS I assume?

A VPS should work as long as it meets the requirements outlined in the System Requirements page.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A VPS should work as long as it meets the requirements outlined in the System Requirements page.
    Thank you so much!

Also, would you know what's the required specs per slot?

Such as: what's the minimum required to host a 100 -man TeamSpeak 3 server?

There is no 'per slot' requirements really, obviously the more slots you use the higher the demand on cpu and network but you cannot really express that per slot...

For 100 man a VPS with 256mb might do the job. But the problem isn't even the ram. It's the cpu.
    The most I had... around 60 I hitted 20-25% CPU usage on a 3.4ghz single core VPS (with more services like webserver in it).

If you are interested I use this service: removed
    Excelent so far.
    Last edited by Chris; December 28th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barricas View Post
    For 100 man a VPS with 256mb might do the job. But the problem isn't even the ram. It's the cpu.
    The most I had... around 60 I hitted 20-25% CPU usage on a 3.4ghz single core VPS (with more services like webserver in it).

Excelent so far.
    Thank you for the info. Are you located in the US or in the UK? I noticed the site you had up had Deutsche available on the top right corner?

The datacenter where my server is, is in germany (frankfurt)

(Sorry mods didn't know I couldn't link to external companies)

Quote Originally Posted by barricas View Post
    The datacenter where my server is, is in germany (frankfurt)

(Sorry mods didn't know I couldn't link to external companies)
    Darn. Do you know any Hetzner's alternatives that you could possibly PM me with (located via US- onshore)?

Hi barricas,

Thank you for this great information.

Excelent so far.

Thread Information