Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solved Custom channel icon replace "channel" icon.

It is a bit of a pain to look across the screen and try and match channels up to the icons etc. It would be nice to have a small status icon and then have the channel icon that has been chosen can appear in place of the default horrible square status icons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	7470

In this photoshopped image you can see a normal channel, a passworded channel and a channel that is at its maximum capacity. You can see the channel icon right next to the text on the left and the musical note all the way on the right indicating it is using Celt mono codec.

In my opinion this is a far nicer and more pleasing visual look.

Similar to the current ability to have the text of a server group show up on the left or right of the person's name or not at all, an option could be made like that for channel icons, that way you could very easily choose to have the channel icon appear on the left or the right of the channel name.

This technique could also be applied to my previous request about being able to hide server group icons from the main screen, this similar technique could allow a server group icon to appear on the left or right of the name or be hidden. That way you could save space by hiding unimportant icons from the main screen and only appearing on the person's description page PLUS you could have important server groups like admin/server owner etc on the left of the person's name for easy authority identification if someone has many groups assigned. eg:

(image thumbnail below is small, click it to being up the full size)

Name:	admin.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	7471

This has been requested and rejected multiple times already.

Lightbulb Custom channel icon replace "channel" icon.

Just thought of a random QOL fix for TS, when you set a custom icon on a channel, why not have it replace the "Channel Icon" to the left? (This would only apply for channels)

Reason why is because when you look for a channel you'll most likely look for the name, imo it makes more sense to have the image right next to the text instead of all the way over the the right. Plus when you have a channel with more than 1 image it feels really cluttered, such as a muted channel with an icon.

Check attached image to clarify explanation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The channel icon is not just decoration, it changes colors based on the limit of clients in the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by maggy View Post
    The channel icon is not just decoration, it changes colors based on the limit of clients in the channel.
    Im with PeppeJ. Ive been running ts servers for a long long time and honestly didn't even know they did change colour, as I'm sure most users aren't aware, so that functionality, unless you run one of the massive servers, is wasted. The option to replace that ugly green looking thing (what is it anyways?) would be great! Cant tell you how many times Ive been asked by clients if i could change that icon (weirdly enough, I was asked tonight too. Suggested installing a skin was the only response I could give). It's the one thing that makes the overall look kinda meh.

Why the devs so stubborn? It's been rejected before. OK. So? Does that make it any less a decent suggestion? I dont think so. Does it do something to hurt the program? Again, dont think so as the functionality of that icon is lost on most of us. I for one think it's a great idea. Do you know how cluttered the server looks if you have icons for groups, icons for ranks, icons for channels, all on the same side, then top it off with what looks like a pointless weird looking green icon right beside the channel name that would be a great spot for a channel icon in the first place. It simply makes sense for the overall look of the program. Don't discount this suggestion for spite, it really is a decent suggestion.

Unhappy (Old) improvement: Channel-icons left, others right

Hi,

I know, that many have suggested this improvement before, but as everything stayed as it was, I'd like to ask for the reasons: Why would TeamSpeak ignore an improvement, that makes the UI much clearer and easier to understand without any downsides?

The suggestion is to move the channel-icons in front of the channel-name, like it's in every tree-structure (except TS):
    Name:  2013-10-09_174250.png
Views: 739
Size:  3.0 KB

This would really make the UI more intuitive, as you could easily destinguish between channels and users (respectively their groups), eg. if you search for a member of a partucular server-group or an admin.

Make the test on your own with the attached screenshot by K3nny, that I found somewhere on the internet:

Name:	so.png 
Views:	691 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	9288
    The two admins in the minecraft channel are better recognisable in the mockup, than they would be now.

Or have a look on this one:

Name:	2013-10-09_175749.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	9289
    Usually, the users have much more icons, but a user with just one icon is not a channel Pure chaos!

TeamSpeak-Team, please let me know, what the great problem of this idea is and why TS3 can not behave like any other application we use. If you worry about any downsides, you might add this as an optional feature, that anyone may enable or disable, as he wishes.
    (Or ask the community in a poll?!)

I like the idea and it looks good

I do not agree with this. While this might look nice for channels, it would be kind of inconsistent behaviour as there are icons for clients and the server too. Replacing the client speech indicator with the client icon wouldnt make sense at all. In addition, the channel icon indicates if you're able to join a channel... I prefer the treeview the way it is right now.

If something like this gets implemented, it should be a client-side setting so I can disable it.

+1 for this idea

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    I do not agree with this. While this might look nice for channels, it would be kind of inconsistent behaviour as there are icons for clients and the server too. Replacing the client speech indicator with the client icon wouldnt make sense at all. In addition, the channel icon indicates if you're able to join a channel... I prefer the treeview the way it is right now.

If something like this gets implemented, it should be a client-side setting so I can disable it.
    replacing the client speech icon is rly kinda stupid
    i'd like this on channels only and i think that should be a client side feature, too

of corse you can see if u are able to join a channel, but if not, u still get a - for example - insufficient permissions error in the server log. so thats not a big deal - for me...

@ScP I was about to disagree with you, but I have to agree that it should be a client-side setting.

Quote Originally Posted by eVil.MouZe View Post
    replacing the client speech icon is rly kinda stupid
    Yes, for sure. The idea is to move the channel icons only. The client-speach-icon needs to stay where it is
    Additionally, it would good to offer the current behavior, too - switchable via the settings dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    While this might look nice for channels, it would be kind of inconsistent behaviour as there are icons for clients and the server too.
    In my eyes, the server-icon should be left, too (like the channel icons) but as suggested, you should be able to switch to the old behavior as well.

+1 for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This has been requested and rejected multiple times already.
    We do not change this behavior.

Thread was merged
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Wow people are still requesting this feature? It would be nice if the continual interest in a suggestion would make the developers reconsider their plans.

Thread Information