Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Hybrid View

What would you say the average amount of bandwidth used by a lightly populated server

Hi guys,
    I have some plans for my server at home; I have a Dell PowerEdge T110, actually, running windows server 2008 R2 that will be upgraded to 2012. I have a small web site as well as an email server on it when setup is all said and done. Obviously a TeamSpeak server with less than 32 slots doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth considering technical people host them from their houses all the time. What would you say is the amount of bandwidth that is normally used for a community server? So like less than 32 slots, and ten to fifteen people at the most? Thanks. I'm just asking because my friend is afraid that I'm going to use up all of the bandwidth allotted to my family and I with my server and he doesn't want to see that happen, and nor do I; that would be horrible.

It depends on many things, like how many people are talking, how many people are sitting in the same channel, the codec quality and settings of the channels being used, etc.

One of the servers I monitor has 68.37 GB total within 37 days, about 9 users average across those 37 days, with peaks of 40 users.

Interesting. Okay. It now looks like I'll have to ask some people who run TeamSpeak servers from a residential connection and see if it would be at all possible for me. Because I don't know a lot about how much bandwidth each thing on the internet uses; I've never had to worry about it till now.

I run a few team speak servers on a 25/25 FIOS connection. There can be anywhere from 10 to 50 on at any given time. I use speed ultra-wideband. I also host several other servers and I have yet to experience lag.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

We are Comcast people, so i'll just have to see how it goes. If I find that it becomes too much, then I can always take it off, right? I would suppose so. I'm going to attempt to install the server in my testing environment today, so it should be interesting to get a nice glimpse before I put it into production.

I'm so sorry to hear about the Comcast part. Still, there shouldn't be a problem if you limit it to, say, three users. :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I begin to think that I'll be able to allow more than that since i'm on Xfinity, so yeah, my friend says that our internet connection at my house is faster than that of some businesses on whose networks he's had his computer on, so what does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chromebuster View Post
    I begin to think that I'll be able to allow more than that since i'm on Xfinity, so yeah, my friend says that our internet connection at my house is faster than that of some businesses on whose networks he's had his computer on, so what does that tell you?
    You'll be fine. I was joking about the Comcast bit.

Oh LOL. I should have figured that out. I don't know why the heck I overlooked it.

Thread Information