Forum

Updating server causes server not to start anymore

Hello there.

I stumbled upon a troublesome problem lately : updating my TeamSpeak 3 server.

Here is my situation.

I have a non-commercial 200 slots teamspeak 3 license and my teamspeak 3 (64bits) server is running on a 64bits debian server. Current version is : 3.0.3
    So far, so good, except version is quite old (over a year), and all users have a warning stating server needs to be updated when they come...

Until last summer, I had only one server running with no virtual servers. But since a few months, I do have two virtual servers running thanks to my aforementioned license.

Since then, I cannot update my teamspeak.

Before that, I could, using that simple and straightforward guide : http://blog.tchubb.co.uk/?p=62
    It worked like a charm.

But I did not know for a moment it could be because of my virtual servers that updating causes my TS not to start. Process won't even show on the list, and I get an error :
    Code:
    842058|CRITICAL|DatabaseQuery |   | setSQLfromFile( file:sql/properties_list_by_string_id.sql) failed
    Well, I am not even sure it is the case, but it definitely looks like it's related to my database.

And that confirms it :
    After doing many tests, it would seem that if I start my updated TS without the database, it starts a new one with a new privilege key (which is normal) and none of my virtual servers are started.

And as you would understand : I want to be able to use last version of TS with my database and all my virtual servers.

So, can anyone tell me how to do that ?

Thanks in advance !

your server version is way out of date, you could try and update incrementially, so from 3.0.3 to 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 to 3.0.6.1 to 3.0.7 and finally to 3.0.7.2
    Make sure to start your server once after every update.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    your server version is way out of date, you could try and update incrementially, so from 3.0.3 to 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 to 3.0.6.1 to 3.0.7 and finally to 3.0.7.2
    Make sure to start your server once after every update.

Thank you for the reply !

That sounds like a good solution.
    But do you have any idea where and how can I download all these specifics version ?

You have my thanks.

I will try that right away.

EDIT

Your idea is good, because I managed to update to 3.0.5 successfully.

However, for next updates, it failed.

This is log extract after second update :
    Code:
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.792806|INFO    |ServerLibPriv |   | TeamSpeak 3 Server 3.0.6 (2012-06-21 04:43:35)
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.793044|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin name:    SQLite3 plugin, Version 2, (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.793070|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin version: 3.7.3
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.793232|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | checking database integrity (may take a while)
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.895932|ERROR   |DatabaseQuery |   | db_exec failed duplicate column name: complain_hash
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.895962|ERROR   |DatabaseQuery |   | db_exec() ALTER TABLE complains ADD COLUMN complain_hash varchar(255); error: duplicate column name: complain_hash
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.895979|ERROR   |SQL           |   | database update to revision: 20 failed!
    So I revert back to 3.0.5.

Any idea how to fix this database update issue ?
    Last edited by Mackovich; May 25th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Looks like your database already has a field that is supposed to be added by server 3.0.6. You can try and empty update20.sql in the sql folder but no guarantees.

Hello again.

I tried your solution, and it failed.
    Upon launch, program froze with this error message :
    Code:
    2013-05-28 20:45:01.847673|CRITICAL|DatabaseQuery |   | setSQLfromFile( file:sql/update_20.sql) failed
    I had to use CTR + C to terminate the process.

When we read this error, we can clearly see that this is due to the manipulation on update_20.sql.

So I have been thinking, since I get this error :
    Code:
    2013-05-25 14:23:52.895962|ERROR   |DatabaseQuery |   | db_exec() ALTER TABLE complains ADD COLUMN complain_hash varchar(255); error: duplicate column name: complain_hash
    whenever I try to udpate from 3.0.6*, should I not try to manually change the database in order to delete that column?

With a little research, the command line to use should be this one (in general) :
    Code:
    BEGIN TRANSACTION;
    CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE t1_backup(a,b);
    INSERT INTO t1_backup SELECT a,b FROM t1;
    DROP TABLE t1;
    CREATE TABLE t1(a,b);
    INSERT INTO t1 SELECT a,b FROM t1_backup;
    DROP TABLE t1_backup;
    COMMIT;
    Thank you SQLLite to be that complicated when MySQL offers a simple
    Code:
    ALTER table DROP column

Any idea how to that in Linux/Debian server ?

Thanks !

you can try a sqlite editor, like navicat, its pretty simple to edit the database using it. but hmm do you realy need to update your version? i mean can't you jsut use a clean instalation?

Well, I wish I could that simply, but, I have many users and multiple virtual servers with A LOT of server groups AND icons. It's too much too lose, I think.

But to be honest, if I could, I would.

Unless there is, somehow, a way to save all that data ?

PS: Can navicat be used in a shell ? I mean I can only use Putty to access my Debian server. There's no GUI at all !

you can download the sqlite file and open it in your computer.

and well you could migrate to a mysql server as well. and hmm you might need to lool back when they released the new version if some one had the same problems you are having now.

Please note that messing around with the database directly is not supported and could possibly cause problems in the future if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

yeah well he already have a problem :P

well there is one thing i remember when i had to update my server, the first versions had some problems when updating, i think we had to add the server group id or something like to to be able to auto update the permissions, there was also a update on the sqlite driver.

one thing that you could try is to generate a new sqlite and try to upgrade from 0, and see if it works fine, after that yon could compare the database on the verion that you are trying to update with the clean one, and see what is missing

Thank you all for these replies.

However, this seems a bit far too stretched for me, and I do not think I have the time nor the courage to try such solutions that might even not work as you suggested.

I can deal with this warning message each time someone connect to my TS (the one that states the TS version is obsolete and the admin needs to be warn a new one is available) as all my friends and I did for a long time.

I just hope this will not diminish the server features at some point and/or generate troubles with the client version.
    What do you think ?

It might at some point, the warning is there for a reason.

Thread Information